Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Virginia to the Gaspe Peninsula and return via Pluto
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Virginia to the Gaspe Peninsula and return via Pluto Reply with quote

We set out for Canada on Canada Day, appropriately enough, but did not arrive immediately. One of our first encounters was with highway grass cutters who had put out temp signage warning of SLOW MOVING VEHICLES. Did not know if this warning was for us or about us. Stopped for lunch east of Annapolis MD at this place. Highly recommended.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Late that evening we made it to northern NJ for a stop at purveyor of useful stuff.

Next day in Ipswich MA we found another delightful lunch stop.

Soon after that in Newbury MA we spotted the first Vanagon of the trip, 7 states into the drive.

Shortly after that and back on I-95 we came upon a car fire that was NOT a Vanagon. Poor guy had just filled up and refused to get near the car, even with my proffered fire extinguisher. Friday before the Fourth of July, northbound traffic north of Boston, I calculated about 1,000 vehicles passed him since the fire started and we were the first to stop.

In upper Maine we passed Mt. Katahdin, northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. This is in Baxter State Park, which is renowned for its restrictions on vehicle size, pets and motorcycles. Next trip, maybe.

The other end of U.S. Route 1. I’ve been to the Key West end and covered many of the miles along its length. This is pretty far from home and at the end of the third day we crossed here into Canada. No problem getting the dog in with just the rabies certificate from the vet.

Here we are riding along in New Brunswick a few minutes later, looking across the river at the top of Maine from farther north.

This is the largest vertical-axis wind generator in the world in Gaspe. We also visited the lovely Reford Gardens in Metis.

Nicest camping of the trip was at the municipal camping of Mont Saint Pierre. Most of the towns on the coast have camping, but this was the most wooded and secluded. There’s that mountain behind those trees going nearly to the top of the frame.

Next day was a trip away from the St. Lawrence up into the wilds of the Parc Gaspesie. Rainy, cloudy and cold weather was a nice change but we did not get enough elevation to see the caribou.

Back along the coast, it was more miles of winding road with water on the left, like driving north on the Pacific Coast Highway. This goes on for hundreds of miles.

Around the end of the Cap Gaspe we approach the Gatlinburg of Quebec, the town of Perce, home of the Pierced Rock. I did not get a shot of it from its most favored angle. The campground here had a terrific view but was packed with behemoth motor homes. Surprisingly, most of the plates we saw in Gaspe were from Quebec, and not even from other provinces. Very few from the U.S.

Most of the coastal towns had a Halte Municipal, nice little rest areas.

Finally got to stop at Canadian Tire, and look who was there! They stock Mobil 1 15W-50 by the quart, but at $10.50 per. Yow! I saw a couple of dozen Westies once we hit the Gaspe, a couple of nice bay vans, several Rialtas, one VW LT highroof camper, and a Syncro Eurovan Westy.

Picnic at a Halte on the Bay (south) side of the peninsula.

Long straight road through the shaggy woods of New Brunswick on the way back to Maine, where U.S Customs never even glanced at the dog’s paperwork.

Heading south on U.S. 1 we spotted a familiar shape, a little out of place.

One of her sisters is so small the display is not at the roadside, but inside the rest area visitor center. Pluto holds special meaning for us. We bought our van in August of 2006, during the week in which Pluto was demoted from planethood to, well, whatever Pluto is now. Because of that cosmic significance, Pluto was one of the names in contention for our Westy, but I just did not like the Disney connection. The main alternate was Greta, the name of a crazy German lady who is the weekend announcer on our local NPR affiliate. The van never did get officially named, but I felt obliged to stop.

In southern Maine the antique shops rule on U.S. 1, and there was even a car place selling Detroit iron from the ‘50s and ‘60s. I found this in the back of the lot. Champion Auto Sales in Kennebunk ME.

Getting close to home and needing another Vanagon fix, I stopped by Wye Mills MD for a look at Dick’s Autohaus. Last visit there was a Syncro Westy, but I had no camera.

Made it home safely after 3,000+ miles, nine states, two provinces, and no problems. I never touched the tools or spares, so spent my time enjoying the drive (in the Eurovan seats) and making a list of little things to tackle next on the van. Hank the now-international dog slept for two full days on return, and we’re now getting back into the real world grind. Can’t wait for the next Westy trip. Thanks for looking!
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Canada. I was in Gaspe around 22 June. There are some real neat off grid camp site on great rivers just out of the town of Gaspe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we'd had more time to explore, but it was pushing it driving it at the pace we did and we averaged 300 miles each day. No real time to hang out and explore much off the beaten track. Next trip we'd like to do more of NB and see NS, and feel less pressed for time while doing it.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: gaspe Reply with quote

It comes down to drive and see what you can see or stay close and explore. We have explored the Gaspe a few times and love the place. The campground at Lake Cascapedia is amazing!

Last summer we passed by so many things that we wanted to see in an effort to get out west. We enjoyed the road trip and our kids loved it as well. This summer we are staying close and camping and seeing more.

It's all good!

Your observations on the license plates is pretty accurate. It seems that area of Quebec is less travelled by people outside Quebec. We have been there in March and were told that quite a few Americans arrive for telemark skiing just after the Canadian school breaks.

It's a beautiful place...hope you get a chance to make it our way next time. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Brian.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: gaspe Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:

Your observations on the license plates is pretty accurate. It seems that area of Quebec is less travelled by people outside Quebec. We have been there in March and were told that quite a few Americans arrive for telemark skiing just after the Canadian school breaks.

Brian.

First this place is attacked by European, mostly (of course) French (from France) tourist. Don't ask me why??? I have been there a few time and it's ok, no more, on top it's always foggy. In general, even if it's my own province i'm not impress by it. I ratter spent time in PEI or NS.

Still, you took some nice picture.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stumpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Campism, Nice narrative, great sceenery, no need to pull a wrench---Priceless!! One thing caught my eye and made my mouth water, those vans in Wye Mills---- are they pick & pull? I'am not to far from there! thanks, Stumpy
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed my trip around the Gaspe. We saw lots of whales along the road. Met some really great folks up there also.

I love the camping at the provential parks all over Canada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpy, no word on the pick & pull. There's never been a human present the two times I've stopped and this is the first time there's been a sign. Worth a call to ask, I'm sure. There is supposed to be a big Vanagon lot in Frederick MD that may be much closer to you. Dick's does have many more Vanagons this trip than the first time I stopped a couple of years ago. Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: