Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Product for restoring the plastic parts on the exterior
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Dupont/3-M dealer today and grabbed a guart of black Imron to paint a new lower section of an 06 Chevy 3500 bumper to finish a front end repair.
I have some dulling agent, flattener at work to dull it down a bit--satin finish.
The Imron will never come off.

The paint store knew nothing of-- you dropped the bomb on me urethane bumper refinishing material, and they've been around since 1947.

VHT is the "Zone" kinda stuff.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
I've found restoration products such as Meguiars, Mother's Back To Black, etc. work, but are temporary; they all require reapplication at some point. Since it was looking pretty bad, I sprayed my van's spoiler with VHT Epoxy Paint in Satin Black and will eventually be doing the same with the side vents and the front grilles. The store also had VHT Bumper & Trim Paint that I'm sure would work just as well, but I wanted a slight sheen so I went with the other stuff.

<snip snip>

Several months, a couple thousand miles and a few washings (including scrubbing) later, it still looks like I just sprayed it.

This looks great. If I might ask, how many cans of the VHT Satin Black did you go through to do your spoilers?

I think I'd like to tackle my grill, spoilers, and bumpers all around.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariusstrom wrote:

This looks great. If I might ask, how many cans of the VHT Satin Black did you go through to do your spoilers?

I think I'd like to tackle my grill, spoilers, and bumpers all around.

I used not quite 1 can to do all 5 spoiler pieces; of course, that doesn't include the back sides, which I didn't bother to paint. I applied more than one coat, as per the can's directions, and let the pieces dry (and bake) in the late-afternoon sun for a bit. I then let it "cure" for 24 hours before reinstalling. The label says: One can covers 12-14 square feet; dries to the touch in 20 minutes and can be handled after 3 hours.

Since VHT's web site shows the bumper paint as being satin, now that I think about it, it wasn't the sheen that made me go with the Epoxy Paint; the store didn't have the VHT Bumper & Trim paint in stock. Not wanting to wait for a new supply, I opted for the Epoxy Paint over another brand's bumper/trim paint (I've had great experiences with VHT products). The Epoxy Paint worked well on the textured spoiler, but I'd try it on a hidden area of the grilles/bumpers first to ensure it'll work on those too, or just use VHT's Bumper & Trim Paint. No matter the product you use, Krylon or VHT or SEM, prep is everything. Wink

Terry Kay wrote:
I was at the Dupont/3-M dealer today and grabbed a guart of black Imron to paint a new lower section of an 06 Chevy 3500 bumper to finish a front end repair...
The Imron will never come off.
VHT is the "Zone" kinda stuff.

DuPont Imron = professional-grade
VHT = lay-person

I have no doubt that DuPont's Imron will never come off (it's widely used in marine, automotive and aircraft applications); for a professional-grade paint, I should hope not. However, many of us can't afford to sink a lot of cash and time into a professional-grade product for a job we're not getting paid to do (nor have the equipment to use), and prefer a quick, inexpensive fix to a very simple cosmetic issue. We're not repairing these parts, we're simply restoring their luster; in my case, the spoiler wasn't simply oxidized like the door trim is.

VHT paint, Krylon Fusion paint, Rustoleum Plastic Paint, DupliColor paint, Kiwi shoe dye, Back-To-Black, Forever Black, SEM paint, Bondo Restore Black, powder-coating, even peanut butter (creamy!) and heat guns have been used with success in restoring oxidized black plastic trim to its original black. Find what method works best for you and your car and go with it. If the professional-grade route is your choice, great; if not, the inexpensive DIY methods are just as effective, albeit possibly requiring reapplication in the future.

FWIW, VHT used to be a specialty product and was not available at any retail auto parts store near me; I had to order their products online. I was floored when I was at PepBoys (the only FLAPS around here with a wide variety of paints, cleaners, waxes) back in February and saw VHT sitting on their shelf (come to find out, VHT is now owned by DupliColor, which is owned by Sherwin-Williams).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for some really good posts, experiences, and product demos.
I decided to go with a temp look vs. the painting. Grills arent cheap and I wanted to see how much it would come back to life with some back to black.

Why question next would be should I use a laquir thinner to wipe it down first before apply the Back to Black?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!!

You can wipe the grill down with a fast wipe of the lacquer thinner, but it isn't a good idea.
If you hestitate for one millisecond in one area with that rag soaked in thinner--you'll melt it.

Hard plastic--grill's & stuff --wash it down with Krud Kutter or something--then lay the pig lard on it to shine it up.

Soft, plyable rubber or flexable parts the lacquer thinner will blow off all of the oxidation and make them as black as new---and you won't melt it.

Not hard plastic items.

You'll have the grill looking like it just came outa of a neuclear blast---
Be careful. Shocked
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crystalcabot wrote:
Why question next would be should I use a laquir thinner to wipe it down first before apply the Back to Black?

As Terry points out... lacquer thinner and acetone are pretty harsh solvents and will damage the finish on some plastics and flat out dissolve (melt) others. They're not healthy to work with either, but you should wear gloves when working with any solvent. I try to avoid them unless the specific job calls the them. For paint prep I make sure I get the bulk of the crud off with boiling TSP solution or a good soap and water, then wipe down with alcohol just before priming/painting. Alcohol will remove the grease but it's a pretty safe solvent for most surfaces and the person applying it... as long as you don't drink it!* I'm not familiar with Krud Kutter... I assume that's a brand name? I'll have to check it out...

As Kamzcab86 says.. prep is everything. If you're doing the grill make sure you get into all the corners with a tooth brush to get all the dust and oil out. I'd rather have oxidized than peeling in all the nooks and crannies. I've got what looks like a Maaco paint job on the front of the van... color match and easy to clean surfaces look good, but there are a couple runs and anywhere that the painter would have had to get into a tight space to prep is peeling.

Paul

*If you're prone to drinking your solvents, use Everclear or pure grain alcohol! Not that I drink the stuff, but I usually keep some for dissolving shellac flakes or making varnish if I want a really clear finish that gives off pleasant fumes while it dries.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
I've had really good luck with "Forever Black". It's a dye-like product that comes in a shoe-polish style applicator. Excellent for black rubber and plastic parts such as mirrors, ground effects, etc... Made my dry, faded, light-grey colored mirror housings like new again and it's looked good for over a year now. Not sure how well it would do on painted parts. I think for bumpers and grills I would stick with a good cleaning and lots of coats of high-quality spray paint.

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro

X2!

I have used the stuff for years. It works fantastic and LASTS. Unlike paints it does not chip or peel off. It is a plastic DYE. *IF* it fades, you just apply the process again. BUT, I have NEVER had to do that. I did it to some fender flares on my A1 VW Caddy pickup which lived outside 24/7. Various parts on my Vanagons have it too. Only after about a decade did I notice it was getting a bit gray, but not near as bad as the original untreated parts. Repainting stuff is a major pita later. Paint is not what should be applied to the original plastic moldings. I LOVE Forever Black....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The forever black stuff is a Wally World available product, and really doesn't refinish anything-

It is a DYE.

I can not find it in our Wally World's sadly.......

In Illinois it seems only to be available from http://www.jcwhitney.com

See http://www.foreverblack.com

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also check out the product made by Meguiars for this stuff

and the dye that Surflex has

both have web sites
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had too shine my van up real quick at bugout but I did not have any of those fancy products available so I looked around the van and all I could find was this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It worked OK it went from this to this.

Now how do I get this stuff off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this stuff on bumper caps on my beater'85. Looked GREAT.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenanc...amp;page=1

I'm sure it's comparable to other stuff out there.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried acetone on one side of my air dam and soap & water on the other side (it was off the van so it was an easy experiment). They both look clean and oxidized... no appreciable difference in the results.

Paul
DWC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwi Leather Shoe Dye?
I've used Forever Black with great results, but I've always suspected it was just repackaged shoe dye or polish and sold at a premium price.
DC
59 Panel van
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else used baby-oil
PaulGinAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the VHT products with decent success but would also suggest that a quick trip to your local automotive paint supply store will find a slightly better (albeit slightly more expensive) product from SEM that Kam mentioned above.

The product that you want to use is SEM color coat and the color shade you want is Landau Black for most of the matte black colors of VW plastics.

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=190

I have used this for a variety of oem exterior parts on various watercooled VW's over the years and it holds up well and seems to be relatively flexible for a spray coat.
-2014 Silverado 1500 High Country
-2010 BMW X5 3.0 Sport (wifes)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need a can of the SEM prep spray also
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Aerospace Protectant 303. Not a paint or dye but it helps restore and protect plastic parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerospace-Protectant-303-Spray-Bottle/dp/B00063JM5K
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Has anyone else used baby-oil

Yes! It's very gentle, darkens the plastic, and seems to preserve it. Vinyl starts looking newer and becomes more flexible. I just finished wiping down nearly all Winston's exterior and interior vinyl and plastic with it. Good results. I used Krylon Fusion first on Winston's grills, but the baby oil does seem to refresh things quite a bit.

My product of cheap choice, its use was advised by some very knowledgeable old car restorers.

Best!
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWC wrote:
Kiwi Leather Shoe Dye?

That is what I used on the dash vinyl of my 91. Over five years later and it still looks great!
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Best Product for restoring the plastic parts on the exte Reply with quote

crystalcabot wrote:
Hey guys. I wanted to remove the faded looking plastic on exterior of the van. What would be the best product?
Thanks

Blk shoe polish!!!! I've done it for yrs on every vw i've owned.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: