Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2,600 mile tow-transaxle damage?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: 2,600 mile tow-transaxle damage? Reply with quote

I plan to use a v.w. towbar so the rear wheels will be spinning. I thought I'd be ok if I check transaxle grease to lube rear wheel bearings. Since the trans. will be in neutral, would the grease move around enough to lube the same way as having it in a gear? It's a looong way.
microbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fine, they are designed to be flat-towed!
WD0AFQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towed my 66 swing axle 2400 miles the first trip, from Or. to Mo. Have towed it several hundred since. Not a problem.
Dan

http://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
teufeltito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one way to find out!

1973 standard: 1600cc, og stocker

1966 standard: incomplete volksrod w/ 2187cc

1972 transporter: incomplete slightly lowered

“A car is never too low, it’s the ground that is too high.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PressureProjex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear bearings are lubed by the trans fluid, so top it off and you'll be good.
Stover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies everyone. I just don't know if the transaxle grease would move around enough without being in a gear. So, I plan on doing this; Check grease level in transaxle, bring good radials and change tires ( one's on car are the original 1966 bias plies), grease front outer wheel bearings and half-ass grease inners, disconnect speedo at tire ( car only has 20,000 odd miles), and go for it. BTW, Uhaul won't rent a sled or a trailer even if I wanted as tow car is an Explorer. I've also heard of and experienced not so good things with open 10 car haulers. It's gonna be an adventure, not just a purchase!
WD0AFQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does not make sense that U haul wont rent you a dolly.
Shoot, we flat towed our 66 from Safford, Az. to Dexter, Mo, 1400 miles, with our Vibe GT.
Dan

Michael Fischer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats just the way UHaul is. They wouldn't rent me one for my F150 cause it has a bumper hitch. I would guess it has something to do with insurance. Or maybe they don't wanna risk a lawsuit?
downsbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD0AFQ wrote:
Shoot, we flat towed our 66 from Safford, Az. to Dexter, Mo, 1400 miles, with our Vibe GT.
Dan

I live in Phoenix,AZ now but was born in Kennet MO and raised in Campbell, MO. Funny to see someone on here from that little area.

UHaul can be a pain in the rear.
WD0AFQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downsbs wrote:
WD0AFQ wrote:
Dan

I live in Phoenix,AZ now but was born in Kennet MO and raised in Campbell, MO. Funny to see someone on here from that little area.

UHaul can be a pain in the rear.

I will pm you. I was raised west of Bernie on a cotton farm but winter in Duncan Az.
Dan

MAYHEM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stover wrote:
BTW, Uhaul won't rent a sled or a trailer even if I wanted as tow car is an Explorer.

Had the same thing happen to me. Strangely, they installed the hitch on said Exploder. They said it had to do with the whole rollover/blown out tire fiasco Rolling Eyes

johnnypan wrote:
I digitize myself in the privacy of my own home.
MLTIGGER2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stover wrote:
Thank you for the replies everyone. I just don't know if the transaxle grease would move around enough without being in a gear. So, I plan on doing this; Check grease level in transaxle, bring good radials and change tires ( one's on car are the original 1966 bias plies), grease front outer wheel bearings and half-ass grease inners, disconnect speedo at tire ( car only has 20,000 odd miles), and go for it. BTW, Uhaul won't rent a sled or a trailer even if I wanted as tow car is an Explorer. I've also heard of and experienced not so good things with open 10 car haulers. It's gonna be an adventure, not just a purchase!

Check with Penske, they have car haulers and if your a AAA member they give you 15% off
They have locations all over Southbay but their main lot is in Long Beach
I used to live in Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan Beach
Drag0nHart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Fischer wrote:
Thats just the way UHaul is. They wouldn't rent me one for my F150 cause it has a bumper hitch. I would guess it has something to do with insurance. Or maybe they don't wanna risk a lawsuit?

I was able to tow my 74 beetle with my F-150 with only the bumper hitch and 1 7/8 ball rated at 1500 lbs.

U-Haul rented me the dolly and didn't say anything...I guess it depends on the location you rent from.

This was back in 2001 though.

I imagine it has a lot to due with liability.

If the bumper rips off and the car careens into an oncoming lane and causes an accident, U-Haul may end up footing the bill as I believe they provide insurance coverage on the dolly.

also..towing with an underpowered vehicle such a a 4 or 6 cylinder SUV can be an exercise in futility not only for you but for others that have to travel behind you...you also risk cooking your automatic transmission or burning up your motor.

My F-150 had 302 (5.0L) and It would slow considerably on the hills..even towing the light bug....but a hell of a lot better than trying to tow it with a V6

Thinking back, I don't think I would try that again....bumpers are unpredictable when towing anything relatively heavy.
MLTIGGER2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed my bug from Eugene, Oregon to Hawthorne, CA in a 1980
Chevy Monte Carlo
it was a 3800 V6 with the wonderful 2 speed automatic Rolling Eyes
We had to disconnect at the grapevine and I drove the bug up an down the grapevine with no problems, the Monte Carlo however had to stop twice on the way up due to overheating Crying or Very sad
Stover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx again for more replies.
If money wasn't an object, I would fly to Florida, and rent a Penske truck, not Uhaul. The bed is higher and there's no wheel wells inside. I could fit a bug ( maybe a bus) in a 16 footer. unlimited mileage, shitty gas mileage, but no trailer rental. i would have to find a local guy with a hoist- penske would probably come unglued. The penske lot on my end is cool, he'd unload it no problem. Penske won't rent a car trailer unless you rent a truck from them. A big truck- dually. liability again. I'd only have to drive 2,600 miles one way. Come to think of it, cost may not be that much different. Drive both ways- $00. for gas. Stay in flea-bag motelsevery other night. With vw tow bar trip fast going, slow returning. haul trailer both ways, slow both ways. Car dollies hop when empty. probably couldn't handle 2,600 jumping around. Explore has hitch, but small 1-1/4". manual say can tow about 3,000 lbs. bug weighs half. doubt it would damage explorer trans. More worried about bug, it's almost a virgin with 20k miles. I'd be crying big time if it got thrashed. i'm gonna drive it too as it will be the closest thing my 58 year old ass will get to a time machine.like buying a slightly used car in 1969- it's a 66
Stover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meant to say $800 for gas two ways.
MLTIGGER2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Penske will rent the 10 foot cube vans that will tow the car dolly, at least the ones I've used have the hitch my Nephew had one he rented in New York and he towed a Chevy S10 back with the 10 footer still crappy mileage(in the 12 range), but might be cheaper than the bigger truck. But if the bigger truck is what you are thinking all you have to do is find a dock high warehouse with ramps and you can drive it onto and off of the truck.
Have you looked into auto shipping companies? After all is said and done
Gas, lodging, food it might be cheaper to have it shipped, some even have enclosed trailers. I just bought a '68 square that is down in Texas and it will be cheaper to have it shipped then to fly down and drive it back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: