Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doing the tranny mount shuffle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Doing the tranny mount shuffle Reply with quote

I had be searching here for different ways to change a front tranny mount in my bus. I didn't want to take alot of stuff apart because I'm kind of lazy. Here's what I came up with. and it worked pretty well.

I removed the bumper and apron. The shiftrod coupler and clutch cable. the two large cradle bolts and the front tranny mount bolts. Of course there is a jack under the engine and the bus is on ramps. I took a bottle jack and a piece of wood that fit between the back of the rear tires. As I pumped the bottle jack spreading the rear tires apart the motor and tranny moved back. I was able to pull the tranny mount out with ease. After installing the new mount I let the preasure off the bottle jack slowly while checking the alignment of the tranny mount. Some prying with screwdrives and crowbars was needed towards the end. For the most part it was pretty simple. My daughter helped me hold the clutch peddle up while I reattached the cable in the rear.

The jack and 2X4 are on the rear portion of the rim.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used clamps to hold the 2X4 up to the heaterboxes and also to the block ontop of the jack.

I don't own a portapower, But I'm sure one of those could be used as well.

The jack rolled back and forth as the motor moved backwards and back into place.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job! Did it solve all your troubles? You still need to rebush the nosecone?
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
good job! Did it solve all your troubles? You still need to rebush the nosecone?

Yea shifts perfect now. I wish I had a nosecone seal and shiftrod seal. There's allways next time.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:

Yea shifts perfect now. I wish I had a nosecone seal and shiftrod seal. There's allways next time.

glad it all worked out GA. Last thing you need is another car problem to deal with.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Glenn A wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:

glad it all worked out GA. Last thing you need is another car problem to deal with.

I'm going to need to daily the bus while the TDI is in the bodyshop Crying or Very sad

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: nose cone mount Reply with quote

Just what i need to do! But can I ask how does spreading the tires apart move the trannny aft? I assume from your pic that the rear tires stay on the ramp at all times? Can or should this be done with the tires off the ground? Many thanks for posting this as I need to replace this mount but dread pulling the tranny. Any other info appreciated.

Peace, Ken
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I got everything unbolted I pryed at the tranny mount with a prybar just to see if I got everything apart and how much it would move. I noticed the back of the wheels moving outward . I thought if I just gave them a little help by spreading them apart the mount would fall right out.

The reason the trans moves backwards is the axles are firmly bolted to the drums. Yes the bus remained on the ramps. The motor was resting on the floor jack.

The only added advise I could give is make sure that nothing binds while jacking the wheels. I made sure multiple times that the jack was rolling backwards freely and I also helped move the motor&tranny back with a prybar and pulling it by hand. If you leave something bolted or the trans binds You could probably bend a rim or break something.

I need to do this job again as I broke the new mount already Rolling Eyes . Maybe I'll video it next time.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: trans mount Reply with quote

Really??? How did the mount break? Just curious...........

Ken
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: trans mount Reply with quote

Brokenbus wrote:

Ken

This is an example of my driving.

Any questions?

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: nose cone mount Reply with quote

Brokenbus wrote:
Can or should this be done with the tires off the ground?

I did not see this part of your question. The answer is NO. If the spring plates have no presure on them (the weight of the bus) they rest on the bottom stops of the torsion housing. If the spring plates pop off the stops and are allowed drop down past the stops it could be a problem.

Again I would not use this method with the bus on stands. Only ramps.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: trans mount Reply with quote

Glenn A, thanks for the clarification on the wheels. BTW nice baja bussing, post some more pics....
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: trans mount Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
Brokenbus wrote:

Ken

This is an example of my driving.

Any questions?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job.

You removed the rear bumper? Damn, you wasted like 30 minutes right there.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those steel posts with a screw top as used in a basement for holding up floor beams works perfect for this as well. And two scraps of wood on each rim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Doing the tranny mount shuffle Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
I had be searching here for different ways to change a front tranny mount in my bus. I didn't want to take alot of stuff apart because I'm kind of lazy.

Don't be shy, The best ideas you find will come from a lazy 'engineer'.

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Good job.

You removed the rear bumper? Damn, you wasted like 30 minutes right there.

No luck. The tail pipe hits the bumper and rather than mess with the exhaust I took the bumper off.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcuddy wrote:
One of those steel posts with a screw top as used in a basement for holding up floor beams works perfect for this as well. And two scraps of wood on each rim.

Yea I like it. Milk crates and cinder blocks instead of ramps too! Philly style.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GA, by now, the engine should know how to remove itself.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: nose cone mount Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to doing this job. I had a very difficult time using the wood and sideways bottle jack method. I had to buy a Porta Power. It worked fantastic and did the job in minutes. $89 at local Harbour Frieght. Will probably never use it again but its a cool tool. Highly recommend. If your in the Dallas / Ft Worth area drop me a line you can use mine for free.

Ken
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done 2 so far, mine and Surfcity's. Used the scissor jack from the wife's toyota with wood blocking. Surfcity couldn't find his replacement so we through bolted it. There is an earlier post that shows how to do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: