Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia high flow air cleaner
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Find something of a lesser value to cut up that early Ghia/Bus aircleaner is worth $150 in good condition.

Exactly. That is why I proposed removing it and using something expendable. Lots of people toss the late model housing, but I would prefer a rare one like the 55 be stored rather than damaged.

Paul
Mawaheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Find something of a lesser value to cut up that early Ghia/Bus aircleaner is worth $150 in good condition.

Exactly. That is why I proposed removing it and using something expendable. Lots of people toss the late model housing, but I would prefer a rare one like the 55 be stored rather than damaged.

Paul

ummmm...i understand your point of view ..
but i don't think am going to find such extension in Syria ..
i will see what i can do ,a friend of mine told me that there is an old old Armenian man in Aleppo ,who is specialized in old cars filters,i think i will visit him to ask about extention , if i found it would be great ,but if i did not ,i think am going to cut the original extention just before the housing (and sure keep the housing in safe place) ,and then add a new aftermarket filter.

1955 Karmann Ghia
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawaheb wrote:
ummmm...i understand your point of view ..
but i don't think am going to find such extension in Syria ..
i will see what i can do ,a friend of mine told me that there is an old old Armenian man in Aleppo ,who is specialized in old cars filters,i think i will visit him to ask about extention , if i found it would be great ,but if i did not ,i think am going to cut the original extention just before the housing (and sure keep the housing in safe place) ,and then add a new aftermarket filter.

I may have a solution for your car that will not damage the original air cleaner. I'm drawing it out and should have it ready by tonight or tomorrow.

Paul
Mawaheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:

I may have a solution for your car that will not damage the original air cleaner. I'm drawing it out and should have it ready by tonight or tomorrow.

Paul

that would be great Mr.Paul
i will be waiting!

1955 Karmann Ghia
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is Mawaheb. This is something that should be easy to make, give your Ghia some clean air to breathe, and is easy to change back. You will not need the bottom of your air cleaner while this filter is being used, but keep it safe for future use. Clean the part you removed and store it in a bag under the back seat. Hopefully you have some tools available to make this bracket.

This plan is for making a simple bracket from two metal strips. Each strip is bent down with a flat spot in the middle. The length of each strip should be long enough to fit snugly up into the air cleaner neck after the bottom of the air cleaner is removed. A hole is drilled in the middle of each strip. The strips are laid on top of each other to form an X, and a long threaded rod is inserted into the hole. A nut secures the strips together with a nut above and a nut below. The nuts should be the nylon locking nuts if possible, as it is important that they do not come loose.

Insert the bracket into the neck of the air cleaner as shown in the picture.
The idea is that it should fit snug and not pull out. But, if you need to remove it, you can simply pull or bend the bracket out without harming the original parts.

You will need to drill a hole in the end of the filter for the rod to pass through. When the bracket is in position, install the air filter with the rod sticking through the hole in the filter, then install the rubber washer, the metal flat washer, and the wingnut.

I will wait for your questions, as I am sure there will be some.

Paul

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mawaheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you alot Mr.Paul ..a great idea indeed !

i will try that !

1955 Karmann Ghia
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia high flow air cleaner Reply with quote

how would a mod like this work in a 74 beetle with the stock housing?
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia high flow air cleaner Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
how would a mod like this work in a 74 beetle with the stock housing?

Unfortunately, the oval shape of the Beetle air cleaner housing makes it difficult to use a round filter. A possibility would be to install a flat rectangular filter using a metal holder that sits diagonally inside the housing (high on the inlet side and low on the outlet side), and blocks airflow from going anywhere but through the filter. It's doable, but whoever does it would need an air cleaner to fabricate a working example.
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia high flow air cleaner Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread, I also did this mod, together with some higher flowing exhaust tips.

I used a paper filter (Mann 1555/6), that has the same dimensions, and it fitted nicely.

Because of a different design of my snorkel, I could only cut the triangle quite close to the mouth, but did it anyway.

I have the impression that the car pulls better overall, but the main improvement is in the warmup stage. It drives perfectly even when taking it out of the garage!

Because of the mod combination mentioned above, the sound at idle sounds a bit like a Harley, when accelerating "normally", a bit like a Porsche, and at full throttle, it has a slightly stronger carb intake sound. Louder when giving it the beans, and about the same at a cruise, perfect!

3 sounds in 1 car, I cannot complain Cool
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia high flow air cleaner Reply with quote

Glad it worked out well for you! I took mine for a drive two days ago, and fell in love with the sounds all over again.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:

I will wait for your questions, as I am sure there will be some.

Paul

Do you have the size/dia of the cone filter? I'd like to experiment with this.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

Do you have the size/dia of the cone filter? I'd like to experiment with this.

I don't have the exact measurement, as this design was a concept for a gentleman in Syria, and I did not have the measurements of his air cleaner.
The best bet would be to measure inside the opening your air cleaner housing itself, and get a cone filter that fits just inside. The good thing is that you can test fit the filter before doing any work, and if it fits properly, start from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: