Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Krylon close matches to factory colors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Some people said that was Ivory?

I don't know off the top of my head but I'd hit up the local hardware store and try a few different Ivory color spray paints.

Spray something not on the Bus and then compare it against the actual Bus.

Here is some feedback on spraying Ivory Split Bug speedo pods, I don't know if the color is the same though:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582898
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OVIEDOAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Thanks. I asked my German sister in law to translate it for
Me tonight and she agrees. Just haven't seen or heard about many having this color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

OVIEDOAV wrote:
Thanks. I asked my German sister in law to translate it for
Me tonight and she agrees. Just haven't seen or heard about many having this color.

Wikionary says: From Middle High German helfenbein, from Old High German helfantbein (“ivory”), from helfant (“elephant; ivory”) + bein (“bone”), equivalent to modern German Elefant +‎ Bein. The loss of initial h- in early modern German was due to the influence of Latin elephās. Since the 19th century the word has been remotivated, somewhat meaningfully (with regard to the pure white colour of ivory), as Elfe (“elf”) +‎ Bein (“bone”).

the color is: Ivory
OVIEDOAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Haha, I'll just try to remember your last line, " the color is ivory" lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Elf Bone is cool too.

Plus you can be all uppity if someone thinks it's Ivory.
"No, it's ELF BONE" Jeez!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OVIEDOAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

And....Elf Bone it is 😂
pjtaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

anyone find a Krylon close match for Lotus white?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

pjtaxi wrote:
anyone find a Krylon close match for Lotus white?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/duplicolor-per...lsrc=aw.ds
https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K05524007-COLORmaxx-...4646777818
https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Lotus-White-Spray-Paint/dp/B01NCWAFKC
https://www.target.com/p/rust-oleum-painter-39-s-t...lsrc=aw.ds
Just searched lotus in this topic and found these.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

looking at the beginning of this thread the krylon paint chips there is a color called celery. has anyone compared celery krylon to beryl green?
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Dover white, a normally close match for silver white (L82), on both pieces, different lot numbers of course. The one that's close, on the towel bar, I did with an old can . The bumper, in beige, was a new can (of which I bought 6).

I reached out to them via their customer email and got this:

“I viewed the pictures and while the colors are the same, the products are not the exact same formula. The COLORmaxx is the product we offer now and the Indoor/Outdoor product has since been discontinued.”

They changed the formula but call it the same color. Nice.

I'd be very careful before committing to this color choice until you verify whether you're getting beige or white.

UPDATE: Krylon sent me 6 cans of the "new" Dover White, which should be called Dover Beige. It was "free" of course, so...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Anyone find a close match to Panama beige?
Ramenk00ker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience shooting their wheels with VHT black Pearl? Looking for a close match for my 68 type 3. The original color is l43 grey black.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I mean if it is actually "pearl" I know it would bother me seeing a bit of metallic.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
jimenezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Amazing encycolorpedia. Was looking for Gemini Blue and found this site
https://encycolorpedia.com/32466f
ozzmosis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I know I have seen it some where posted to match the steering wheel ivory color what Krylon paint matches better or brand of paint does best.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

FYI: VW never made steering wheels in Ivory. That is an aftermarket fantasy colour. VW had plastic knobs in Ivory. Steering wheels, turn switches, column tubes, E-brake handles, in 1960 they were all Stone Beige. 1961, they were Basalt Gray, Sand Stone, Hydrate Green, or Olive Green. 1962-65, they were all Silver Beige. 1966 to 71, Gray-Black. Never Ivory.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
ozzmosis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply good thing I asked i have a 1965 vw bug. After asking I'm going to restore my original steering wheel myself to white silver. And not buy the one I saw.
Thanks
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

rickcsvdubs wrote:
looking at the beginning of this thread the krylon paint chips there is a color called celery. has anyone compared celery krylon to beryl green?

Anybody...…..celery (Krylon) to beryl grun
Paul Ray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Any luck finding a close match to Diamond Blue?
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I couldn’t find any sandstone matches on the site but could anyone answer this? Does this look like sandstone that was used in ‘61 beetles? It’s been taken in natural UV light with a bit of overcast. I know colors vary between natural and non natural lighting. Thanks.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: