Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problem with 90 Carat
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Problem with 90 Carat Reply with quote

I have been away from Vanagons for a while (but you always come back to them, don't you?).

I'm trying to get one back on the road and scratching my head over it.

Wife loves it, so it's important to get this operational again.

Details:

High mileage 90 Carat, 2.1L w/Auto Trans.

I have compression in 4 cylinders 3/4 side is excellent (150psi), 1/2 side is low (90psi), but not enough to be causing this.

New plugs

Good spark

Excellent plug wires.

Good fuel pressure (new fuel pump, 2 filters, I put gauge on the system to make sure), I have ~40psi with no pulsing.

I am not firing on 3&4. I have 10x checked firing order. Prior to being parked, it ran fine then all of a sudden barely ran/started. I had fuel system problems (fuel tank issues, since corrected).

I suspect an injector ground or something similar, but am not sure where they are nor how to test (I do have the big Yellow Bentley, but wanted guidance from the Samba first). I used to know this stuff but have forgotten it in the last 5 years. Confused

It will come back fast, but I need some expert guidance to get me back on the path.

TIA

John

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good spark?.is that to 3 and 4? If so pull injectors off that side, hold them3-4 inches from a piece of cardboard and have someone crank for a couple sec at most and u should see spray pattern. U need gas,spark and compression = fired cyl.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the injectors on those holes and take a look at the spray patteren.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no spray on 3/4 injectors.

Now I don't know if there is a block resistor or ground somewhere for 3/4 like on the earlier FI, or if there is a common corroded connection somewhere.

1/2 side works, 3/4 side does not.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the voltage to the injectors at the plugs and fault find from there.

You could also swap the injectors over to check that it's not an injector fault.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both injectors bad at same time? unlikely.

I will keep at it and report back.

funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fuel injection relay in the black box above the coil. if it fails I would expect that no injectors would fire. So I would suspect the wiring. in your van. Also look at a Bentley for tests on ECU/injection function. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm on the road without a Bentley or a Vanagon.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and the injectors are getting 12V. I haven't been able to check the ground signal, my V-meter is almost dead.

I also swapped ECUs (for grins) since I had a spare, and no improvement.

I don't have any spare injectors, I threw some away trying to clean up this Sandford & Son similarities I have had around here. Thinking of where I can scrounge some.

Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John... aren't you a Salt Lake or No. Utah boy?

Anyway, you've confirmed that you've got power to the injectors, but I don't see that you've tested the spray pattern as was suggested. Could be that they're plugged. You might not have spare injectors, but you certainly have 2 that are working on the other side. Swap them and see if the problem stays with the cylinders or the injectors. Best of luck... my wife would have hated my Splitties and Bays, but she loves the Wolfsburg!

Paul
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I'm in Salt Lake. Want to change them once, so I'll try to acquire some so I don't have to change them 2x LOL.

I'd be a pisser if that's all it was, I will report back my findings.

Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I scrapped the 2.1 in favor of a Subie 2.5 and had the injectors (as well as other parts) kicking around until last week... otherwise I'd let you give them a try. They're in Quebec now... hopefully bringing another Vanagon closer to it's new life!

I can't recall if we've met at the swaps back before I dumped my aircooled collection. I may have met your brother at the DI in Sandy, pawing through a stack of LPs. At least I think I remember him saying his brother started or ran Aircooled.net. I was looking at a stereo system for the garage, but they wanted to sell it as a unit with the turntable & speakers... then I noticed this guy with a stack of LPs in his lap and asked him if he wanted to split the cost. Worked well for me... hopefully for him too! Smile

Paul
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, that would be Jim (the black sheep of the wife's side of the family).

I will probably borrow the injectors from my Turbo Syncro (don't want to so Subi for Ground Clearance reasons), I am going to Megasquirt that thing and will put new injectors on it when I do.

I had extra injectors less than a month ago, but threw a TON of stuff out trying to lean out a bit.

Volksaholic wrote:
Well, I scrapped the 2.1 in favor of a Subie 2.5 and had the injectors (as well as other parts) kicking around until last week... otherwise I'd let you give them a try. They're in Quebec now... hopefully bringing another Vanagon closer to it's new life!

I can't recall if we've met at the swaps back before I dumped my aircooled collection. I may have met your brother at the DI in Sandy, pawing through a stack of LPs. At least I think I remember him saying his brother started or ran Aircooled.net. I was looking at a stereo system for the garage, but they wanted to sell it as a unit with the turntable & speakers... then I noticed this guy with a stack of LPs in his lap and asked him if he wanted to split the cost. Worked well for me... hopefully for him too! Smile

Paul

Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I had extra injectors less than a month ago, but threw a TON of stuff out trying to lean out a bit.

Volksaholic wrote:
Well, I scrapped the 2.1 in favor of a Subie 2.5 and had the injectors (as well as other parts) kicking around until last week... otherwise I'd let you give them a try.

Yeah... I need to do more of that. I just tossed the 2.1 air box/filter in the garbage along with an air bleeder loop. I hate to just toss stuff, but there comes a time if nobody's interested. I'd like to sell my radiator too... there was nothing really wrong with it, I just got anal with the conversion... but that will probably go for scrap as soon as I have time to head to Wasatch Metals.

pd
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I got chumped.

I put 2 used injectors on it and it runs normal again! I've never had a clogged injector, let alone 2. So I feel stupid, I was convinced it was a wiring or electrical issue. Oh well, education is never ending isn't it? Embarassed

now I have to replace the blown out Water Distribution piece just forward of the engine (that looks like fun), and I'll be able to drive this again. One of the items I threw out was (surprise) one of these Water Distribution Pieces. Evil or Very Mad

Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will sell you a stainless tower and S hose for $85 if your inerested. Let me know
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are the fuel lines? Two injectors on one side makes me think that something, either dirt or rubber, went down the fuel line and plugged both. Might want to flush or replace the lines.

Good Luck,

Hans
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it's up and running.

This happens to me too... I forget to look for the really obvious things and end up looking daft.. Laughing

So long as it's fixed, who cares Very Happy
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: