Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window switch ...>> substitutes ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Window switch ...>> substitutes ? Reply with quote

All the Vanagon equipped with electric/power windows that I have ever seen had the switches hanging miserably ... including mine.

Today the cup is full when not only the passenger door switch kept hanging out but separated from the bezel.

Yes, I have searched and FOUND the answer via
*repair
* http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381415&highlight=window+switchor
or
**replacement.
** http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_70/window_switch___double_switch._bezel_housing.html

Replacement is totally out of question as judging from the pictures, it would seem that the "retaining" pins WILL, as one poster put it, break just by looking at them.

The aluminum "tongue"/JB Weld though most ingenious and life saving would be my last and perhaps only option. One detail in this much appreciated post that was not obvious to me is: was the bezel "glued"/JB Welded to the switch ?

Therefore, my question will be:
Has anyone Idea successfully, replaced that other piece of VW genius engineering with the switches from another decently thought vehicle***, at least in reference to power window switches Question

Year ? make ? model ? How difficult and intricate it was/could be/will be ?

Thanks Smile

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)

Last edited by VisPacem on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some early jetta switches that I was saving for when mine go south... They are flat and almost look the same (early... I mean they came out of a 97 I think)
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have electric window switch on mine but looking at the pictures I think that a window switch from a 3 series BMW will fit. (I have a 96 325i)
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is replacement out of the question ? The switch is a press fit to the bezel. To remove the switch from the bezel. just unplug two plugs and the switch can be removed from the bezels. I have converted my Van to power window and do not have any problem removing the bezel. Just put a flat blade screw driver at the bottom of the bezel to get the bottom out from the door card, then gently pull down the whole assembly to clear. You can buy a replacement switch from Van cafe for less than $20 dollars if you can solder and move the pig tail of wires to the new switch. I, being a cheapskate, disassemble the switches and clean the contacts. Reassemble the switch is not easy but it can be done after a few try. I have also replaced the light bulbs in the switches using one from Radio Shack and they work well, just a little brighter than the stock ones.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done both. The previous owner had rigged a broken one which I improved apon. It doesn't look great, as there is an exposed screw, but it's strong. I drilled a hole in the top of the bezel and ran a sheet metal screw into a small tab of alum. When the screw is tightened, it turns the tab to encage the door card, much like the tabs on an "old-work" electrical box. Go to Home Depot and look if you don't know what I'm talking about.

2 yrs later I broke the drivers side being an idoit. I bought a new bezel. As long as you know which side pops out when you go to remove them, there is no reason they should break. I would bet that 99% of the broken ones happened when mechanics were trying to disassemble the doors, probably to fix the power windows or locks.

I would just spend the money and get a new bezel.
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that she's home, I too am going through wiring. I am considering moving the window switches to the dash. I knew the passenger window switch didnt work when I bought her and after a quick look at both the driver and passenger side wiring, Im surprised anything works! Open grounds and "live" wires are easy to find in the door recesses. One thing that stands in the way of getting right at it are the holes in the door skins that will be left open. Any ideas out there? Thanks, Stefan

Y2K V6 Passat

Calcandi Leviter
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option, I personally don't like it, prefer stock look, but I see its advantages

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4456&category_id=&category_parent_id=

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this works for me

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this works for me

and here's a Chinese lock for the sliding window

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the switch from Van Cafe but the card board is in bad shape around the switch...

so it hang there flopping around

Mad
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along the lines of the GoWesty kit but I can make something up with some Golf/Jetta switches for much less dinero. If I do it right and replace the wiring it should last another 21 years,no? As we all know, its all the little things that will drive us mad, all I can say is, its a good thing I am not using my sanity and will have no need for it with my case of Vanagonitis Rolling Eyes

Y2K V6 Passat

Calcandi Leviter
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=20

end.
Cool

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: