Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Electrical Issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jsstr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Trying to track down some electrical issues in my van. Had the battery checked out, it's OK. Going through the Bently manual; it says to disconnect the negative terminal, then touch the terminal and hook up with a test light. My lights. But light fades, and then won't turn back on unless you wait a few minutes before trying again. Any thoughts?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your electric problem? Where are you hooking your test light?
Jsstr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery is draining. I cleaned the main ground (behind the alternator).
I am hooking the test light to the battery terminal and the ground wire (that normally hook to the - terminal).
The manual says what to do if the light works or doesn't work. But mine comes on briefly and then fades. It won't come back in unless you wait a few minutes to retest.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsstr8 wrote:
I am hooking the test light to the battery terminal and the ground wire (that normally hook to the - terminal).
The manual says what to do if the light works or doesn't work. But mine comes on briefly and then fades. It won't come back in unless you wait a few minutes to retest.

You are not seeing anything abnormal at this point. When you first hook the test light up you are charging the capacitors in the stereo and once charged the draw drops significantly. Are all you fuses and such in place while you are doing this test?

What is your charging voltage, both at no load and with a full electrical load? At revs and at idle?
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsstr8 wrote:

Is your battery that dead that it has enough juice to briefly light the tester, then dies? It will revive a bit when you stop, then start again. If your battery is really that low then it might be pooched. They don't like being completely drained.

How fast was it originally draining the battery?
-Period of weeks? Maybe an over-zealous stereo (I think Pioneer has a higher drain than others to maintain it's presets).
-Within a day? More serious short or frigged battery that can't hold a charge with a slight stereo drain.

Get the battery tested so you at least know what you're working with. Something's definitely draining though with the test light lighting up. Once you know your battery's good start pulling fuses one at a time 'till the test light goes out. Then you know what system is the issue and you know what wires to be checking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the battery load tested, or just checked for resting voltage?

A test lamp is probably not the best way to check for parasitic draw. You would be much better off using a digital volt/ohm meter so you know what the actual draw is. Here is a video that will show you how to perform the test with a meter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jsstr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little delay in diagnosing the electrical problem. Had to time the pump and replace most if the fuel lines.
Van now runs, however it will not start without a spray of starter fluid. I will take a multimeter and check all the electrical in a few weeks. I'll check back in when I have more info.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is doing the same thing..... Confused I think it at the fluorescent light that keeps coming on by its self....
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... battery draining... battery not charging... something with the charging system, try pulling the alternator and having it tested. Then if that's good start tracing back the wiring harness.
Jsstr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out the electrical system and everything is good (at least decent). I need to clean some of the grounds.
I was misdiagnosing a fuel issue for an electrical one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: