Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Coral Red Beetle Question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
rrh63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully, I feel when people mention "played out" they are tired of seeing too much of something they don't particularly care for or like, therefore a blanket statement is made which I feel is personal opinion.
Variety keeps things interesting to say the least... Peace.

Nice car btw

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]
potentvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its safe to say that some people will look at the positives and realise what it is, while others will dwell on the negatives and walk on by. Peter you have a beautiful bug and its great to see that you recognise what you are looking at in the Coral Red 58. The early small window cars are great cars to own and I think they are the ones that really got the momentum going for VW. Its nice to see the enthusiasm for them. Wink
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Schwing wrote:
50ate wrote:
I'm just sayin I couldn't do it for ten..and late ovals are played out but id take a 53 54 over my 58 any day.

Why are late ovals "played out"? You wouldn't say that if you had a late oval, but I could be wrong.

I think all old bugs are great. I think the expression "played out" is well uhh played out.

Observe: You are in the 58-67 beetle threads...

Most of us like ovals too- but 25 years of them being the be-all-to-end-all is played out. Oval sympathisers enjoy those threads a little more.

I just dont think there is anything special about post ribbed door ovals Iv passed on two 56 ovals and i could buy a buddies 56 euro rag right now for 3k dont want it there nothing special to me.. And no i would never even think of payin 15 k for any square window bug.. i will be about 8k in when my 62 rag pan off is compleet and i do all my own work. and after wev seen the not so og parts of this car id still say its 6k tops.. My 58 is got all it original body parts and interior andwhats left of og paint. yea its dumped and got a 40hp but i wouldnt expect to get any more the 4k on a good day from a guy who had to have it..

Any clean 58-60 car is a great choice IMO. They are as old as you can go and still have style- and as new as you can go and still have 36hp.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to tell the seller face to face all the wrong things on that car. I looked at a 67 once that the seller claimed to be the original owner and had the original bumpers rechromed. When I got there both bumpers were Brazilian repros and when I confronted him about this he said he didn't remember having them replaced.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Coral Red Beetle Reply with quote

bsvwoc wrote:

Please pick my car apart!!!

Cheers,

Peter Cook

are you still president of Vintage Volkswagen Club of America?????

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: 1958 Coral Red Beetle Question Reply with quote

Well more updates on the car. With a little help from Terry McKnight, we have determined that the front fenders are replacements. Although older replacements.
I looked more closely at the rear bumper and I am guessing only the overriders are replacements. The other parts are rust free and made from a heavy gauge metal.
I am guessing the car was "freshened up" at some point. Probally bad backing out of the garage over the years made replacing fenders necessary?
A strong 10K car, which I wouldn't mind adding to my collection.
I plan to contact the new owner when the car is sold. Hopefully they will know what they have and keep it OG.
The car was built only 4 days after my bug, which I still own. My bug was built on 1-6-58 and this a car based on it's VIN # was built on 1-11-58
I plan to drive my car to the lot and take some photos of the cars together this weekend.

Thanks for all the posts! Keep it up! And for the kind comments on my car.
Smile

One final comment I know the price seams a bit high. But I also know what I spent on my car over the last 11 years, and it's well over the 15K asking price.
Yes my car is mostly OG now, but it still doesn't compare to a 90% OG car in my opinion. If I bought the car I would give it a good tune up and a first class detailing and that would be all it needs for years to come... Not bad after 52 years!

Cheers,
Peter Cook

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Black58EuroBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's on eBay now for 30K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-VW-Beetle-16k-...5fAircraft
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black58EuroBug wrote:
Wow. It's on eBay now for 30K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-VW-Beetle-16k-...5fAircraft

It's still a nice looking car, but not twice as nice. $10K is tops, assuming the doc's all check out and they can prove the mileage. I wonder what he bought it for from the dealer? They probably told him it was worth $30K and sold it to him for $20K. One born every minute...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still a whole stupid world out there- thank God it exists mostly outside of The Samba...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Peter listing the car now here now?
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: 1958 beetle Reply with quote

I spoke with the owner today, and I agreed to list the car for him. The only reason I am doing this is to make sure this bug goes to a good home!
The guy has 12k into the car and would take offers in the 14-15k range. I still say it's overpriced but a few years from now who knows, it might be a steal?
It's also as I represented it in the ad, not 100% correct but very nice considering it's age and it's an East coast car. I only wish it was available when I bought my bug in 1999. I could have saved alot of money!

Cheers,
Peter
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter- I have no beef with you- but why would you want your reputation slurried in with this car dealer's shenanigans- eBay description below:

"Hi
I have a truly unique original 16k mile 1958 VW Beetle. It has excellent documentation. It was bought new locally I have the brochure and the original stamped service booklet. The original owners passed and their kids sold the Beetle at a yard sale the next couple owned it for decades then they sold it to the current couple. They owned it for 13 years the husband passed and I acquired it from the wife. I would like to trade it for a single engine 4 passenger airplane."

What kills me (and others) is the brazen word "MUSEUM" quality in the headline! Holy Smokes- I'd be bloody pissed if that's the museum quality car I won. You are not doing your friend a service- further, by expanding your reach beyond Cl and eBay by hawking it here- you are perpetuating one of the worst problems that plague our hobby- misrepresentation.

I truly hope one of two things happens- you:
A- divorce yourself from this misrepresented car before it haunts you, or:
B- you convince the seller to fix the eBay ad.

You may be doing him a (consigned) favor here- but there's no financial replacement for your integrity.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: 1958 beetle Reply with quote

I understand that the current owner may be misrepresenting the car in the eBay ad, that is why I in placing an ad on the Samba I was hoping to clear up any confusion. I am local and available to help the buyer with any question they may have. This shouldn't ruin my reputation.
My only concern is that this car goes to a good home!
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to look into that documentation. That's always the trick with one of these low-mileage claims. If the documents are sparse and don't really bear out the claim, I don't think I'd just restate the seller/owner's claim about the mileage.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you just have to buy the car, and not the story. Wink
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Sometimes you just have to buy the car, and not the story. Wink

You bet. But, at a 50% to 100% premium, based on said story without proof of said story? Noooo thank you. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, such as with this car being said to clock only 300 miles a year for half a century.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to sell the car for $30K is more than enough to convince me the seller is shady.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6Kabrio7 wrote:
Trying to sell the car for $30K is more than enough to convince me the seller is shady.

BINGO!!!!!!x10....

I read the entire thread and what I have lived by for 50+ years is , what starts out bad, (misrepresentation) or (I don't know), never, ever, rights itself into a positive experience, Never!!! "Museum" quality, NO! 16,000 miles, NO! unless you have inspection receipts for the last 50+ years. Is this a clean used Beetle, YES! Does it in ANY way compare to a restored Beetle, NO! People that restore, including me, do it for reasons that make no sense, both in time and money. Anytime a restored vehicle is compared to an original, the metrics are skewed. Just go to any car auction and check out the cars "restored" at a cost of $100,000 selling for $35,000. You will also see "original" unrestored cars that cost someone $8000 sell for $12000....Dont EVER compare or even try to compare restored , to original vehicles. You will always look smarter in the crowd of uninformed people.

Last edited by wheel607 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
duginabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Coral Red Beetle Question Reply with quote

bsvwoc wrote:
I looked more closely at the rear bumper and I am guessing only the overriders are replacements. The other parts are rust free and made from a heavy gauge metal.
I am guessing the car was "freshened up" at some point. Probally bad backing out of the garage over the years made replacing fenders necessary?
A strong 10K car, which I wouldn't mind adding to my collection.

With the kind of money somebody is "hoping" to get for this car, these words should never really be part of the equation.
Beez78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you tell if you have repro bumpers or not? I wonder if mine are original or not. They are pretty thick and have a few dings here and there. I didnt pay a museum quality price for the thing, but I have definitely found some holes in the original story as I have come to be more familiar with my '64. Mine was also supposed to have 62K OG miles, but could be 162K for all I know....still fun to drive and looks awesome and makes me happy every time I get in it....until the day the engine blows up I guess.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: