Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preparing a new article Hebmuller 006, looking for feedback
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Preparing a new article Hebmuller 006, looking for feedback Reply with quote

We're wanting to post a full article on the reconstruction of HEB #006. We're waiting for some info right now, but wanted to get your feedback on a few photos to see what you guys think.

Before:
1 & 2 were the least damaged of the panels.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Metal Finished

zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hooked. I'll happily follow this thread with great anticipation of each installment.
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW Shocked WoW

Subscribed!

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeoffP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a talented metal man!!! Fantastic work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Also great to see someone take Don Garies old Heb the way it was and really giving it the attention it deserved, looking forward to seeing it finished!
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arenīt these pics very old?
The latest one I have of the car looks like that.

jhp1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitchin Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Very old Reply with quote

Wiz reconstructed the car for Don.

I've heard Don an Scotty did the red and ivory paint.

More pics will be coming soon.

@ usariemen
On Heb 006 the deck lid was built from 7 pieces. The depression on the driver side hangs about a 1/2" lower than the right side depression.

I would agree that the car pictured in primer is very likely to be 006.

Where does the car reside now?

Wiz,
Jason

Last edited by Thetinwizard on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused...are these old pics or new pics.

The car was done and looked like someone first attempted at a Super Beetle Resto...is it being done again now correctly?
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Yustrn

Wiz metal finished the car for Don in 2001, after the car was recovered from theft, and we'll be producing an article very soon to show the work done at that time. We have no idea what's happened since it left the shop.

We've heard so many different stories through the grapevine, we will show you the facts.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thetinwizard wrote:
@ Yustrn

Wiz metal finished the car for Don in 2001, after the car was recovered from theft, and we'll be producing an article very soon to show the work done at that time. We have no idea what's happened since it left the shop.

We've heard so many different stories through the grapevine, we will show you the facts.

Any links to what happened to the car in the past?
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thetinwizard wrote:
We have no idea what's happened since it left the shop.

The car actually is in asia and as far as I saw itīs getting the first serious well done resto ever.
swagen60beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when Don got the car back from the guy in tyler tx doing the metal work. The guy had started the metal work but never finished it. He actually had pushed the car out into the rain in bare metal and told don to pick it up. Don was tired of not seeing much work being done to the car and was paying him something like $1500 or something close to that a week. The entire inside of the car was still cut out and laying in the a pile the front apron and spare tire tray had rust holes in it. The car had NO structure to it. I know every inch of that car. I have loads of pics of it back when i was working on it. And i have said this before you can judge me all you want but i was a kid at the time i was working on that car. I know for a fact not everything was right but Don was not an easy person to work for. When i told Don i needed a welder to finish the welding on the car he got me a oxy torch. So i went and bought myself a mig and got scrap and taught myself how to weld. I can admit my skills weren't great then but i was trying. Since then i have learn that Don was under a lot of stress to get the car done so he pushed me to get it done. What made it hard to get done was that half the parts that went to that tyler shop never came back. There was a list at least a page long of missing parts. Since then i have become a master welder, bodyman, painter, and metal fabricator. I restore cars and reproduce sheet metal parts for British cars. www.kipmotor.com. So please don't judge the work to hard i was just a kid then thrown into a wild mix. I am glad to see her being done right.

Scott jones
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swagen60beetle wrote:
Well when Don got the car back from the guy in tyler tx doing the metal work. The guy had started the metal work but never finished it. He actually had pushed the car out into the rain in bare metal and told don to pick it up. Don was tired of not seeing much work being done to the car and was paying him something like $1500 or something close to that a week. The entire inside of the car was still cut out and laying in the a pile the front apron and spare tire tray had rust holes in it. The car had NO structure to it. I know every inch of that car. I have loads of pics of it back when i was working on it. And i have said this before you can judge me all you want but i was a kid at the time i was working on that car. I know for a fact not everything was right but Don was not an easy person to work for. When i told Don i needed a welder to finish the welding on the car he got me a oxy torch. So i went and bought myself a mig and got scrap and taught myself how to weld. I can admit my skills weren't great then but i was trying. Since then i have learn that Don was under a lot of stress to get the car done so he pushed me to get it done. What made it hard to get done was that half the parts that went to that tyler shop never came back. There was a list at least a page long of missing parts. Since then i have become a master welder, bodyman, painter, and metal fabricator. I restore cars and reproduce sheet metal parts for British cars. www.kipmotor.com. So please don't judge the work to hard i was just a kid then thrown into a wild mix. I am glad to see her being done right.

Scott jones

I find these threads about Heb#006 very strange. swagen60beetle and thetinwizard both say they did the metal work when the car was restored in the late 90's early 2000's. Did you work together? Or the same person or what is going on here??? By the pics it looks like the work swagen60 is claiming to have done, Tinwiz did? and all these photo's are very old and the car was made fun of right after this restoration because of the quality of the restore. I never saw it in person after this 2001 restore, photos only, but to need completely restored again now only 9 years later something must be lacking. By photos of the work done to the body in 2001 by tinwiz, the metal work does look really nice. Very confused on what's going on here???????? Confused
swagen60beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinwiz put the front quarter panels on and put lower skins on the doors and rear quarters and put in aftermarket frame rails. I know all the work that was done to the car from start to finish and would be willing to go on record about it. None of the welds in the front wheels wells were ground. The spare tire tray need replacement. I can go all day on about the car. I didn't just do cosmetic work to the car. The rear seat brace and inner quarters reinforcements where not even welded back in. The inner doors were not welded in. The heater channels weren't even fully welded in they were tack welded. The reason the car didn't sag in the first pic was there was no weight in the car. The car had horrible flex. If you jacked it in the middle of the chassis the door gap would grow a 1/4 of an inch. The angle was something Don told me to do cause of the lack of support in the frame rails. I can tell you every inch of that car inside and out and how it was when we picked it up. I wasn't 17 when i worked on it. I knew the caliber of the car i was working on but Didn't have the right tools to do the job. So i started talking to guys in the industry to see what tools i needed and bought them when i had the money. Like i said i am willing to go on record about this car. Tinwiz and i never worked together. I thought he was a pretty cool guy when i met him and wanted to learn from him. Then for some reason he didn't want me coming down with Don to see the car. Never knew why but sure did find it odd.

Last edited by swagen60beetle on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mbugz60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this Heb in bare metal at the Texas Motorplex several years ago and it looked terrible. It looked like someone pulled up some train tracks and welded them under the car for support. As Scott stated, a lot of the welds were not ground down and it looked like a jigsaw puzzle in places.
I am not trying to bust balls here, just telling what I saw.
There are several Samba Members that saw the Heb that same day and can verify what I am saying is true.

Mike Cummings
St. Martinville, LA
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the purpose of this discussion? all i see is the exact set of pictures posted all over again. low quality ones also.

for me it does not matter what happened some 10 years ago. now the heb is being restored as it should. the ones that did bad work now maybe earned some experience and could do it a lot better..

is it about reputation? then why have you been silent in the past years???
swagen60beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me It's not reputation. I just want the truth out about the car. I am glad it is being restored right. All the bare metal pics are from 10 yrs ago.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbugz60 wrote:
I saw this Heb in bare metal at the Texas Motorplex several years ago and it looked terrible. It looked like someone pulled up some train tracks and welded them under the car for support. As Scott stated, a lot of the welds were not ground down and it looked like a jigsaw puzzle in places.
I am not trying to bust balls here, just telling what I saw.
There are several Samba Members that saw the Heb that same day and can verify what I am saying is true.

Mike Cummings
St. Martinville, LA

I remember seeing it in the two-tone red/ cream paint, as a "fresh restoration" when I was with Mike, at the Ennis, TX show... I made a dash for it, camera in hand, hoping to be able to do a feature on it for the magazine I was working for at the time. I knew it was Don Garies' car, and it was #6, and had high hopes for it.
I got within about 10 feet of that thing, and stopped in my tracks, and slowly backed away.
Mike, remember the back bumper and brackets, being on the front, and about a foot away from the body?
And those "support rails" under the body... yikes Shocked !!!!

I think the only thing that looked worse that day, was me in the clown shoes at Mike's swap space...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
swagen60beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off it wasn't the back bumper on the front. It did have the wrong mounts but that's what Don had and wanted to use. Anyone that dealt with him knows he was a hard person to please and he did it the way he wanted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: