Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

buggy wiring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: buggy wiring Reply with quote

Is there a preferred flavour of wiring harness for buggies? I like the idea mounting the electrical centrally, but does this throw the universal wiring harnesses out the window (most are meant for the front)

Please post up some tips and pics.
1975 Buggy underdevelopment
insta @boldroguebuggy
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Search" will help alot
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it? Why do people assume everyone else is stupid and can't use the search function on the forum? Do you think it's possible that I did search first? Jesus, I'm not a 15 year old kid with my "first car". Ask me to be more specific, don't tell me to use the search function.

Is there a wiring harness that you can mount centrally with minimal cutting and splicing?

Any creative "housing solutions"?
insta @boldroguebuggy
ffejtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest checking some of the street rod related sites, or magazines, Rod and Custom is a great resource... autoloc.com, try there, many street rod wiring harnesses have extra long wires to be a little more versatile, and you can always add to wiring, or lengthen things.... And I would have to agree with you, sometimes just "searching" here will bring up 2000 standard results and no uncommon or different things to try, and the forum police LOVE posting "Just Search!!" without any actual value added....
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense that some harnesses would be longer. I'm really hoping that this can be an ultra clean install and if I can avoid adding wire to the harness that would be a plus.
insta @boldroguebuggy
ffejtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsasnapwireandcable.com advertises 25ft. Shocked long head and taillight wires to work with any app.... maybe check them out....
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookmarked! great links
insta @boldroguebuggy
Wallflour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the "Painless" wiring kit. They have many variations. Very straight forward and easy to install. You can look them up directly or find them at most hot rod sites.

James
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it easier to wire in my own, rather than try to make a kit work.
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424052&highlight=wiring

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420751&highlight=wiring

bnc
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaymonkey wrote:
Is there a preferred flavour of wiring harness for buggies? I like the idea mounting the electrical centrally, but does this throw the universal wiring harnesses out the window (most are meant for the front).

jaymonkey wrote:

Is there a wiring harness that you can mount centrally with minimal cutting and splicing?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

When you say "mount centrally", do you mean you want to run the harness and mount the fuseblock in/on the tunnel? The fuel line runs through the tunnel and they have been known to break. Running the wire harness in the tunnel is not a good choice.

Most buggies run the wiring harness on one side of the body or the other, under the fenders/side sills, because it keeps the wiring out of the way of peoples feet and its a convenient route for wires to reach the front and rear lights.

Or, are you asking if you can mount the fuse block behind/below the center of the dash?

The location of the ignition switch, light switch and any instruments and other switches pretty much dictates where most of the the wiring will start or end. Do you want to mount that stuff someplace other than the dash? I suppose you could put it all in a center console or even overhead and eliminate the dash, but that would really be one of those impractical and pointless styling exercises you saw in 70s show cars.

Last edited by BL3Manx on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a preferred flavour of wiring harness for buggies?

This was your first question....right out of the box. As Didget posted he found two strings that seem to discuss this very issue. He searched and found the answer.

And your question about "housing solutions" is vague at best. There are many posts about drop down hatches or plexiglass shelves (which I assume you saw since your not 15 and capable of searching). Those seem to be what most people are doing.

If you have a different approach that you are considering than be more detailed of what you are considering. "Centrally mounted" & "creative housing solutions" lack specifics and make responding to your question almost impossible.
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
jaymonkey wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question.

When you say "mount centrally", do you mean you want to run the harness and mount the fuseblock in/on the tunnel? The fuel line runs through the tunnel and they have been known to break. Running the wire harness in the tunnel is not a good choice.

Most buggies run the wiring harness on one side of the body or the other, under the fenders/side sills, because it keeps the wiring out of the way of peoples feet and its a convenient route for wires to reach the front and rear lights.

Or, are you asking if you can mount the fuse block behind/below the center of the dash?

The location of the ignition switch, light switch and any instruments and other switches pretty much dictates where most of the the wiring will start or end. Do you want to mount that stuff someplace other than the dash?

I'd like to mount the fuse mid-way in the vehicle, behind the drivers. Everything else would be in the normal spots.
insta @boldroguebuggy
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaymonkey wrote:

I'd like to mount the fuse mid-way in the vehicle, behind the drivers. Everything else would be in the normal spots.

Well that's very practical as far as access to the fuse block.

However since the switches and instruments are still up front, it would more than double the amount of wire you'd need. You'd have circuits going from the back(battery) to the front(ignition switch) then multiple wires to other switches, then lots of wires back to the fuse block then even more wires going back up front to where most electrical components are.

I just mounted my fuse block on the left side of where the steering column goes through the front bulkhead. I can bend over and reach it with both feet on the ground and minimal contortions.

Last edited by BL3Manx on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Smyrnaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the fuse block behind the driver's seat you're going to have to make your own harness or add on to a harness kit. I know a Bradley isn't a buggy but its construction is very similar. A pain in the neck to access the fuse block when mounted on the firewall. When I rewired mine I bought a 16 fuse blade-type fuse block that I mounted on an aluminum plate. I then hinged the plate from the backside and far left of the dash. Now to check or replace a fuse I can unclip the panel and it folds down allowing me to see the fuses from the comfort of the driver's seat. Folded up its out of sight with no ugly wires hanging down.
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smyrnaguy wrote:
If you want the fuse block behind the driver's seat you're going to have to make your own harness or add on to a harness kit. I know a Bradley isn't a buggy but its construction is very similar. A pain in the neck to access the fuse block when mounted on the firewall. When I rewired mine I bought a 16 fuse blade-type fuse block that I mounted on an aluminum plate. I then hinged the plate from the backside and far left of the dash. Now to check or replace a fuse I can unclip the panel and it folds down allowing me to see the fuses from the comfort of the driver's seat. Folded up its out of sight with no ugly wires hanging down.

that's a good idea.
insta @boldroguebuggy
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was easy to make, and routed all wires out of the back through the firewall for a "finished" look. One thing I can't stand on a buggy is to see wires everywhere......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of the wiring harness that Cip1.com sells. http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=wiring+buggy&Search1=Search
Anyone ever install one? Did it include the relays?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccbuggy wrote:
What do you guys think of the wiring harness that Cip1.com sells. http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=wiring+buggy&Search1=Search
Anyone ever install one? Did it include the relays?

The one you mention is a cheapy generic 'buggy/trike/lawn mower/etc' fuse box & bag o' wires harness. 'Quality' may not be a word you hear used in public conversations about this harness... it's basic & uses cheap wire.

And if it says EMPI.... Rolling Eyes

There are quality universal harnesses available for a few more clams - don't cheap-out on wiring, as you'll regret it later.

bnc
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That harness is really...really...did I say really?...bad

I wouldn't use it if I was given one for free.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: