Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

buggy wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
That harness is really...really...did I say really?...bad

I wouldn't use it if I was given one for free.

It does have some useful value, though - the wire in it can be used to hang parts that you're painting, or to tie brake calipers up to support them while removing the rotors. Or it can be used like a bola to trap squirrels... or the neighbors cat.

Or drink a few beers with friends & toss it for distance.

bnc
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the same harness from JC Whitney for $54.

If you replace the crappy ceramic fuse type block with a new SAE type fuse block, the diagram and color code is fairly idiot proof and it will work fine.

If you also know how to solder connectors/junctions, you can actually make it fairly bulletproof.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATC-ATO-6-way-Stand...ccessories
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still recommend crimping over solder any day, as long as you use quality crimp terminals & a quality crimping tool.

bnc
Smyrnaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soldering makes for a certain but brittle connection. If vibration is a factor as it is in any car then crimping alone is recommended. But use a quality crimp tool. A cheapie is going to cause trouble when your wires start slipping out of the connectors.
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I guess its bad, I didn't think it looked good just from the pic. You would think Cip1.com would sell a quality harness. I've been disappionted from a few things I bought from them and they turned out to be EMPI parts. I've also looked at the Painless wiring kit but think they are a little over priced? Any other options?
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccbuggy wrote:
Ok I guess its bad, I didn't think it looked good just from the pic. You would think Cip1.com would sell a quality harness. I've been disappionted from a few things I bought from them and they turned out to be EMPI parts. I've also looked at the Painless wiring kit but think they are a little over priced? Any other options?

I think I'm going to try these guys.

http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/products/wire-harness-kits/
1975 Buggy underdevelopment
insta @boldroguebuggy
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccbuggy wrote:

Yeah.... You can get a buggy harness from JC Whitney for $54. Unless you plan on adding a butt load of electric accessories, its all a typical buggy needs.

Replace the crappy ceramic fuse type block with a new SAE type fuse block, the diagram and color code is fairly idiot proof and it will work fine.

You can either solder connectors/junctions or use quality crimp on type make it fairly bulletproof.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATC-ATO-6-way-Stand...ccessories

Don't forget that if you buy a $200 generic harness, the schematic won't be specifically labeled to use the original VW switches. If you use the VW switches and components, the numbers on the switch and component terminals will be meaningless. You'll either have to figure them out yourself, or buy new switches.
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather spend a little more and get a quality harness. I'm not that good with wiring so I want to keep its simple, I've seen some nice home harness on here and I not about to attempt that. I found this company on line Rebel Wire anyone try there kits. The kits are made for vw not universal like the keepitcleanwiring.com. They also have a rear fuse mount kit that might be what the original post might be looking for? Its on the second url.

http://www.rebel-wire.com/vwkits.shtml
http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire%20Kits
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says they are made for VWs and have circuits for the Air Conditioning and heat. No, I don't think so.

Well anyway, by the time you get that all figured out, you won't just be good, you'll be a wiring expert.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that even the VW kit will require lots of extra ground wire (as posted in many other posts).
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccbuggy wrote:
I would rather spend a little more and get a quality harness. I'm not that good with wiring so I want to keep its simple, I've seen some nice home harness on here and I not about to attempt that. I found this company on line Rebel Wire anyone try there kits. The kits are made for vw not universal like the keepitcleanwiring.com. They also have a rear fuse mount kit that might be what the original post might be looking for? Its on the second url.

http://www.rebel-wire.com/vwkits.shtml
http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire%20Kits

I posted information about the Rebel Wire harnesses a short while back... spoke with the owner about his wares.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420751&highlight=rebel+wire

bnc
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

I posted information about the Rebel Wire harnesses a short while back... spoke with the owner about his wares.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420751&highlight=rebel+wire

bnc

Did you get it? Did you also get the extra ground wire kit? How did it all work out? Thanks
scarybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't over-think it... As stated above, the Bugpack harness can be used as a good starting point, but I would echo the recommendation to change out the fuse block. Get a good set of crimpers, and I would recommend connectors with solderless (heat shrink) connectors. Just add your own switches and your ready to go. Also, to get rid of some of the extra lengths of ground wire, you can just run them all to a central ground block, with one main wire going to the chassis.

Remember - wiring is as simple as following one circuit at a time. Trust me, I'm no expert, but when I follow each circuit individually, it becomes MUCH easier. As a matter of fact, when you follow that rule, you could just buy the wire yourself and make your own loom... Wink

'67 Manx Clone
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes a Bugpack harness useful is the simple graphic wiring diagram that comes with it. Beside being color coded and having the wire gauge shown, it is also labeled with the terminal numbers on the VW switches and components that many buggies use. Its the easiest harness to install in a buggy, bar none.

Actually the diagram is so simple, you don't really need the harness.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
What makes a Bugpack harness useful is the simple graphic wiring diagram that comes with it. Beside being color coded and having the wire gauge shown, it is also labeled with the terminal numbers on the VW switches and components that many buggies use. Its the easiest harness to install in a buggy, bar none.

Actually the diagram is so simple, you don't really need the harness.

Actually, the factory wiring diagrams do the same thing, and are available for free on The Samba.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A VW diagram will give you all the simplicity of a VW sedan harness.
A bugpack type harness is the simplest to install in a buggy bar none.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I see in bugpack diagram that I do not like. It is the head light fusing. 1 fuse for both head lights. on high or low beam. If you short out one head light, you lose both headlights.
VW used a separate fuse for each headlight filament.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: