Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Foor vent/defroster control replacement
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Foor vent/defroster control replacement Reply with quote

Finally took care of the heat/defrost controls. Heat has worked well since I overhauled the system and fabricated a few parts. Missing piece of the system was being able to flip the lever to send warm air to the defroster vent. The floor vents were broken, the driver's side cable and metal flap was missing, and the passenger side cable was hopelessly rusted and seized. I ordered some used vents from eBay, and they were in fair condition.

Only problem is that, even in factory new condition, operation leaves something to be desired. Taking off your seatbelt and leaning over underneath the dash while driving on the freeway is for the birds!

I decided to relocate the controls to the main tunnel where they are at your fingertips. Old parts used in the project are the stock heater vents, stock metal flaps attached to the vents, and the original metal tab and screw that secured the original cables near the vents.
New parts were two universal control cables ($6.95 each), and a flat piece of metal stock 1/8th inch thick, about 7/16ths wide, and about 5 inches long. I use the metal stock to make a bracket with mounting holes for the cables, and a central hole for bolting to to the tunnel using the rear shifter bolt. Nice and secure! After the holes were made in the bracket, a 30 degree twist was put on the new bracket to angle the controls. I thought about putting them straight up, but angling them looks better, they can be closer together, and the cables work smoother. I'll make the carpet fit over them neater when I get the correct carpets. The carpets in the car now are for the wrong vehicle or are just a very bad fit. The cables themselves run along the tunnel, then curve around to connect to the vents.

The results are excellent and the only item that cannot be undone for a restore is the slit in the carpet. The controls are right there, you can use both at the same time with one hand, operation is logical (pull up for defrost, push down for floor vents), and you did not take control away from the passenger if you have one.

Paul

PS: Excuse the cheap seat covers, they protect the seat, and I hate sitting on plastic in hot weather Embarassed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great to me. Nice work!
usroute66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Foor vent/defroster control replacement Reply with quote

Know it's been quite a while since your original posting but I'm hoping you are still watching for reply's.

Like your solution for the floor vent controls but am having no luck locating the 'universal control cables.'
Could you please let me know your source for the control cables?

Thanks,
Chief
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Foor vent/defroster control replacement Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Know it's been quite a while since your original posting but I'm hoping you are still watching for reply's.

Like your solution for the floor vent controls but am having no luck locating the 'universal control cables.'
Could you please let me know your source for the control cables?

Thanks,
Chief

VW went back and forth on these over the years.

You may want to take a look at the setup for a 72. It uses just the two levers by the handbrake. There are cables that operate the front and rear footwell from a single lever rather than making another set of knobs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_72ghia/32.jpg

VW Things were similar although the front heat outlets were along the center tunnel rather than the sides.
usroute66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Foor vent/defroster control replacement Reply with quote

Thanks NOVA.

Managed to find a source for 'universal control cables.' Now deciding whether to go with these cables, or use the single control by the handbrake (in the link you provided).

Thanks again,
Chief
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Foor vent/defroster control replacement Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Thanks NOVA.

Managed to find a source for 'universal control cables.' Now deciding whether to go with these cables, or use the single control by the handbrake (in the link you provided).

Thanks again,
Chief

Ok, glad you were able to find them, and thanks Nova for your input.
I got mine at O'Reilly auto parts, and they are most commonly used as choke cables.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: