Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas canister under fender
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
christiancarpenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: gas canister under fender Reply with quote

i noticed today that the big hose that comes off the gas cannister under rear fender isn't connected to anything. where should that go to? 73 super. thanks.
christiancarpenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should note that the stock air cleaner had been replaced by a baha open air cleaner. is the hose supposed to go to the fan shroud tin?
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One hose should go to the fan housing and the other should originally go to the side of the air cleaner. I just finished replacing mine as the original strap broke. With an aftermarket cleaner I am not sure if your cannister will work properly now as that hose is to vent the fumes back into the carb to be reburned.
volkswagen4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: canister under fender Reply with quote

same note is it a bad idea to remove the canister under the fender...?
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could wind up with having a gas fume smell if removed, that is the primary function of the cannister, to take the fumes from the gas tank. Do a search and you should find a few posts about this, also about people having a smell of gas fumes in the cabin while driving and the result is most often a removed charcoal cannister. This is why I am going through all the effort to replace mine.
christiancarpenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do have a place to run a hose into the nonstock-style airfilter mount, but currently the hose from the oil breather/fill up goes there. should the crankcase fumes and the fuel canister hose both be recirculated into the carb? i'll attach a photo and hope you can see what i mean. the fuel cannister hose ends just inside the engine compartment and can't be seen, but i could put a longer one on if neccessary. thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
christiancarpenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrible picture i know, but you get the jist. is the idea that the fan blows the fuel vapor into the carb, thus relieving tank pressure on hot days?
tele68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canister absorbs fumes from expansion of hot days and normal venting of the tank, then everytime you start it up and drive, the fan injects air into canister and forces the "saved up" fumes from the charcoal and into air cleaner were they get burned up. IMHO You don't need it unless you are concerned about a few fumes going into atmosphere or need it for inspection, some states require it for vintage cars. Just be sure lines from tank to canister (or if its missing) are open to let any vapor escape under car, preferably well behind cabin area so don't get smell into cabin if its disconnected up front. The old metal line usually rusts up and gets clogged. I spliced a new fuel line to the plastic line coming from the white plastic separator tank under the cowl and ran it back to the rear fender well. I get NO gas odors, in car or garage whether tank is full, empty, be it hot or cold days and this serves as the vent for the tank as well...my vapors go into the air instead of the canister, sorry mother Earth ( I do my best in other areas to help the environment....)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: