Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PopTop Cable Broke. Made new one. Link to pics.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: PopTop Cable Broke. Made new one. Link to pics. Reply with quote

Hi all.

For those who don't know, there's a cable + spring in each pop top strut that assists lifting. Or as I found, assists lowering. One of mine failed on the last 1/4 of lowering. Top suddenly "fell". No not really literally, but pop top weight suddenly increased. I was caught off guard. Coulda really hurt my head. ( I can live w/o that right? Wink )

The cable is NLA from VW. It has a swaged type "Z" fitting. (thoughts toward other solutions below) I can borrow a crimper, but can't find the swaged "Z" fitting. And, it seems that my thoughts toward drilling out the plug on other end of cable, pushing the cable through and crimping on a stopper to the end, may not work. Possibly not enough room between new end of cable and pivot pin.

Anyone know of a totally reliable way to make a cable? If not....

If I go with the Jack Bombay lift kit, I figured I'd disarm the other good cable. That way the lift strength is set up for that "weight" with nothing but the struts (edit: gas cartridges) to (eventually) fade away.

Any users out there with both sides (cable/springs) broken using the Jack Bombay lift assist setup?

Thanks!

Neil.

(leg looks too small.... would have to be pushed through from under, then wire crimped on... I think. From here:

http://tinyurl.com/2avsmwd

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bolt to hole on strut and bend? From here: http://tinyurl.com/29kxquj

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what thickness that cable is. I have cable and I have the swage fittings, about 1/8"dia. Got them from a local Princess Auto in Canada. You have a similar outlet in many areas of the US. Harbour Freight comes to mind, and there is another large one that sells by internet and post.

I never use a swaging tool, just vise grip type pliers tightened progressively as the swage flattens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
I'm curious what thickness that cable is. I have cable and I have the swage fittings, about 1/8"dia. Got them from a local Princess Auto in Canada. You have a similar outlet in many areas of the US. Harbour Freight comes to mind, and there is another large one that sells by internet and post.

I never use a swaging tool, just vise grip type pliers tightened progressively as the swage flattens.

A marine shop in North Vancouver said they would let me "borrow" their crimper (bigass thing) They would direct me, but work has to be by my own hand for liability reasons.

The OEM cable is ~ 2mm. So like 1/16". I'm going with 3/32". Oddly though, the OEM cable feels stiffer than the thicker aircraft cable I bought.

I'll check Princess thanks.

This part http://www.westernmarine.com/acrobat/blu190025.pdf (PN 190025) might work but I'm pretty sure it should be bent to follow curve of part on lower arm where cable wraps around. And.... it would require a bolt through to hold it in place. The spring is pretty thick gauge and strong. Not sure how much stress would be put on parts when compressing the spring (top down).

Just thinkin' out loud. Smile

Neil.

Neil.

Edit: Neil. Wink

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, try Pro-Tech Rigging. I bet they could find that Z fitting.

(604) 988-3052.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witless Joe wrote:
Neil, try Pro-Tech Rigging. I bet they could find that Z fitting.

(604) 988-3052.

Heh.

Just go back from them.

Bottom line, ~ $100 to make one cable. They had not seen a Z fitting.

My hope is that the Jack Bombay kit will work even if stock springs decommissioned.

Thanks for the pointer!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: PopTop Spring Cable Broke. Replace or Lift Assist? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Any users out there with both sides (cable/springs) broken using the Jack Bombay lift assist setup?

or the other way 'round, anyone using his kit in place of the stock assists? Silly question, but I'm just about to reinstall the repaired struts.

Rather than start a new thread....

Bump-ity-bump. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon nut - for that "z" piece, with a small lathe and steel rod, couldn't it be possible to drill out a hole in the end to suit the cable?
Then crimp it on with a vice, punches or the like.
Then with a vice and hammer, or arbour press, put the 'z' kink in it?

As for the other end, I am not familiar with what it looks like.

Maybe I just like a challenge, but I'd be trying to make a replacement if, or when, mine goes like yours Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
Vanagon nut - for that "z" piece, with a small lathe and steel rod, couldn't it be possible to drill out a hole in the end to suit the cable?
Then crimp it on with a vice, punches or the like.
Then with a vice and hammer, or arbour press, put the 'z' kink in it?

As for the other end, I am not familiar with what it looks like.

Maybe I just like a challenge, but I'd be trying to make a replacement if, or when, mine goes like yours Twisted Evil

I like a challenge too, but part of the goal was to find an "off the shelf" solution. Hours of googling and some leg work later, there remains one slight stumbling block: the other end of the cable. Even though a possible solution was arrived at today (swage with ball and hollow bolt) as far as I can see, using a modified stock part or different parts, there likely isn't enough room between that end of cable and pivot pin on base. i.e. when pop top up, the spring expands and these parts would bump up against the pivot pin. Yes a coil or two could be cut off spring, but considering all the changes to the original design, ..... not what I'd do.

Re: Z piece. The part is only about 4mm OD. Not hard to shape I bet. One might be wise to heat the part to be shaped first. Even then, I'm guessing one has to be certain that they have the ID correct for swaging purposes. Sure yah it could be made, but ......

With all due respect, Smile a hand made Z, or modded rigging part or a through bolt and eyelet type end on wire rope, may not ensure that all is 100%. When the one side failed, it really caught me off guard. If my hand had been in the way, it might've gotten caught, or, my head could've gotten a good bonking. It just about literally fell the last bit. I would hazard a guess that the failure would likely only happen when closing the top (compressing spring, tensioning wire rope). Sure just about everything will fail if used long enough and not maintained. Problem with this part, is can be really "out of sight, out of mind".

And again, with all due respect, if someone was to do this, I'd suggest using a proper swage tool to secure the ends to the wire rope. (cable).

I just see something like the Jack Bombay assist as a better idea. Uses what I assume are commonly available parts and is easier to get at. Besides, when the cartridges start to fail, I'm pretty sure they give obvious signs much like failing hatch struts.

Whew! (sorry didn't mean to write that much!)

Neil.

pic of spring and functioning cable shown below.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So Mr. Spitsnrovers got me going. Wink

If you choose to make and/or use this part, you do so at your own risk.

Here's what I see as being one possible solution. I don't feel like taking my pop top struts apart AGAIN. Wink So some of this is guesstimating.

The thimble (part inside loop) might be a bit too long causing cable where it exits the ferrule (the crimp on part) to be bent at a small angle. This is because it may go around curve instead of flat bit of arm (see previous pic) AFAIK, the cable shouldn't bend where it enters or exits a fitting. (termination) But..... guy at yacht place that did the swage ball, suggested this may not be an issue in this case as the angle would likely be small. Bottom line: the original part failed, and 29 years from now, the part shown may well fail. Wink Still, I'd prefer to use a cable bushing (picture a small pulley) at this end. The distance from arm face to stop pin (pin that stops the motion of struts once top is up) is ~ 11mm. The height of thimble, washer and bolt head will hopefully be less and will clear the pin when top pushed up. BTW, as seen in another members post, these parts wear. I repaired mine so it's dang close to original. The 11 mm I roughly measured MAY NOT APPLY to your struts. They may be quite worn.

Other end is a bolt I ground down (no lathe!) and drilled a hole through. The shank of swage ball end fits into this hole. I will counter sink bolt head where ball seats. And even though the cable should be a straight pull through the spring, I will counter sink or chamfer hole where cable exits. I may push some silicone through too. The stock piece might be useable in the same fashion, but I'd be curious to know just how much the strength of the end would be compromised by countersink. I cut a coil off the spring and ground end "level" to allow for the longer bolt head/ball combo. The head on the factory part is ~ 4.3 mm. There is ~ 4 mm between head on factory part (no coil cut) and pin that secures strut to lower hinge bracket. Cutting a coil off gave me an added ~ 10 mm clearance IIRC.

To secure upper end, I'd likely run a bolt through hole where Z was. There appears to be room on the other side of this hole for a nylon locking nut.

It is crucial that this nut/bolt stay put!

If total length of cable/terminations is right, even when top up, there is slight tension on the spring. I assume it was originally designed that way so Z wouldn't come out of hole. With that said, I would try to get the new assembly length as close to OEM as I could.

I did a dry run of supporting pop top with post. Top was lowered slightly onto post. This took weight off the struts. Once done, it's possible to take apart the arm WITHOUT the cable.

DO NOT TAKE APART ARM WITH CABLE. Even though when top up, the spring is barely compressed, it just wouldn't be wise to do so.

Parts are all SS - 3/32". The cable (wire rope actually) is slightly larger than what I removed. The shop used 7x19 wire. Ball on end is a shingle shank swage ball. Google will show you the way on that one. This part ABSOLUTELY has to be swaged on and the ferrule ABSOLUTELY has to be installed with the right tool. A cable wire (wire rope) shop or marine rigging shop will help you with this.

I asked dealership recently about this part. It's NLA, but was listed at ~ $45 Cnd. Parts cost for mine was around $20. The swage charge being $10 per.

The swage was done by someone who knows what he's doing. I may go back and get him to crimp the ferrule. We'll see.

My apologies for all the upper case. Just want to be clear. Hope all this helps. If someone else needs this part, they would be well served to measure everything. At the very least, this post should save the next person some time Googling and such.

I have yet to get my Jack Bombay kit. Once it's in, I may remove the good cable and see how well things work w/o the stock assist.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Vanagon Nut, you really did take the ball and run with it! That looks like a serious piece of production.

Never having had mine apart, it is a little unclear to me how it all works, but, I'll keep those measurements you gave for future reference, as I'm sure I'll need them some day.

As everyone else says - install those pop top assist struts. Magic.
Good work!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
Wow Vanagon Nut, you really did take the ball and run with it! That looks like a serious piece of production.

Never having had mine apart, it is a little unclear to me how it all works, but, I'll keep those measurements you gave for future reference, as I'm sure I'll need them some day.

As everyone else says - install those pop top assist struts. Magic.
Good work!

Thanks. Ended up writing more than anticipated.

It's really clear once it's apart. The spring compresses when top lowered and un compresses when raised.

Springs assist in both directions. Spring resides in lower strut arm. You can feel and see part of cable if you look around.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

The thimble (part inside loop) might be a bit too long

Still, I'd prefer to use a cable bushing (picture a small pulley) at this end.

Oops.... Embarassed

One reason to use a cable bushing. It would possibly be easier to fish that through the spring.

Thought of that detail the other day then promptly forgot!

If a 3/32" thimble + cable or bushing + cable won't fit through the spring, then one would have to insert the unfinished cable through spring, install that in lower arm, take it down to the shop, and have the other end done. A PITA of sorts, but pretty sure it can be done.

Neil.

Pics showing it's possible to remove the lower arm with assembly still installed:

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Ok. Got Marks kit. Here's what I found out. For point of reference, I'm a 6' 2" male of average strength.

Regular strength kit + 1 working stock spring assist. Kit really helps. Last 1/5 on the way down, top cockeyed. It can be closed.

Regular strength NO stock spring assist. Raising top "ok". Kit assists part of the way down. Last 1/5 hard to hold up top while tucking canvas. Like I'd have to rest it on my head and push up on roof. More difficult than with just one working spring. Top prone to wobbling at front end.

Stronger cartridges, NO stock spring assist. Top would stay up when lowered part way and was easier to lower until last 1/5. Then it was just as difficult.

I figure the stock springs are designed to assist (and they do, it seems) on that last 1/4 or 1/5 on the way down. Makes sense. The springs stretch more and more, increasing in tension thus being able to effectively reduce the weight more and more. Makes sense because top effectively gets heavier as it gets lower. Conversely, my guess is that a gas cartridge does not have equal strength throughout its' entire range of motion.

I did not try the HD kit.

At this point, I'm done messing around. I just want to use this rig. Smile I have things basically figured out for the replacement cable so will install that asap.

In NO way is this a negative comment on Marks kit. My intention was to see if the kit could replace the stock spring setup. AFAIK, not a part of what the kit was designed for.

IMO, bottom line: if one cable is broken, find a way to replace it. Inspect the other one for signs of wear. Mine broke at the elbow. I suspect this is where the cable sees the most stress.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Conversely, my guess is that a gas cartridge does not have equal strength throughout its' entire range of motion.

I think the shocks put out a pretty consistent amount of force through their range of motion, but as the top comes down the shock has less mechanical advantage over it which causes the roof to get heavier for the last bit of travel.

Thanks for info/testing on failed cables/springs!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
Conversely, my guess is that a gas cartridge does not have equal strength throughout its' entire range of motion.

I think the shocks put out a pretty consistent amount of force through their range of motion, but as the top comes down the shock has less mechanical advantage over it which causes the roof to get heavier for the last bit of travel.

Thanks for info/testing on failed cables/springs!

You're welcome. Smile

That make sense.

Maybe stronger cartridges (like your HD kit) would make last 1/5 ok, but then lowering top through upper range of motion might be hard. Hmmmm...... and w/o spring assist, if one doesn't support the top with both hands, the front corners of top tend to wobble. I guess with the right cartridge strength it could be doable. Hmmm.... Think anyhow.

On to finishing up my cable prototype and installing.

The kit is really cool though. Thanks for your help Mark.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Cable done and installed. Link to pics. Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

On to finishing up my cable prototype and installing.

The kit is really cool though. Thanks for your help Mark.

Neil.

Cables done and installed.

I will add details as I recall them.

These pics should shed some light.

Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/PopTopStrutCableAndSpringEtc#5509194616098716066

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mortengrau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: PopTop Cable Broke. Made new one. Link to pics. Reply with quote

Facing the same problem on my T4 today, ten years after this post, I have been able to track down the “z” strut - almost...... Smile

Probably not of use for you guys, but maybe it’ll be a help for someone outthere in the future.

When I showed the worn down end to my mechanic, he immediately said: “brake wire”. I turns out that Westfalia (maybe) have just used original VW Transporter brake cables, and then moderated them to fit into their lifting bar spring assisted system.

I have not been able to track down where to get that cable (if it’s at all possible), but at least I found the “z-end”. Maybe someone can design a DIY from that info....? 🤞

[/img]
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: PopTop Cable Broke. Made new one. Link to pics. Reply with quote

mortengrau wrote:

When I showed the worn down end to my mechanic, he immediately said: “brake wire”. I turns out that Westfalia (maybe) have just used original VW Transporter brake cables, and then moderated them to fit into their lifting bar spring assisted system.

I have not been able to track down where to get that cable (if it’s at all possible), but at least I found the “z-end”. Maybe someone can design a DIY from that info....? 🤞

Nice find!

As a guess, if one could find a length of steel that would accept a new cable, maybe bend it to "Z" shape then have it properly swaged on to new cable?

I've done a fair amount of camping trips on this bus in the last 10 years or so. I recently had the pop top arms apart. I didn't see any obvious wear at the cable especially where it exits the crimped piece holding the loop at fastener to arm.

Here's a link that should take people to my image gallery of all this

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMaxVOiB8PaJh...1kNzJ5d0R3

Neil.

cira 2010

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mortengrau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: PopTop Cable Broke. Made new one. Link to pics. Reply with quote

You’re welcome Very Happy

BONUS: The ‘z’ is called a “dog leg wire end” or wire stop:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+leg+wire+end&a...&hl=da
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: PopTop Cable Broke. Made new one. Link to pics. Reply with quote

It looks like a lawn mower throttle cable might work as a replacement for this. Assuming you can find the right length.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/183281-Replacement-Brak...gIPr_D_BwE

and you would still need to crimp on the correct fitting on the end.

Perhaps a small engine repair place it where to loo for the dog leg end.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: