Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwrobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thevolksmeister.com/newpartchasissrails

well im promoting myself but MY rails (Recently upgraded ) fit and are exact copies of a NOS rail. Not cheap but correct, depends on your expectations, buying a cheaper generic rail will work, but if you want original style go for NOS,( If you can) Mine or someone like WW

Im not advertising......in this post just giving you an alternative. My rails are listed on this site.

WWW.TheVolksmeister.Com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[-------------------------------------

[/

Worst thing ive ever heard. Want to replace your rails in 2 years time thats the way to go, leaving all that rot in there to eat the new metal. YUK.
Cut them off replace and have a long time before you need to look at it again, unless your flipping the car then buyer beware. Yes Im biased as i produce copies of NOS early rails but there are a lot of decent ones out there.

Hey robert, how much do your rails fetch for a pair? Do ypu havr pictures? I do agrwe the oversized rails is a bad suggestion. Seems like for a car requiring more of patches instead of full raild, they would be good. But replacement is best.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didnt see your post. Those rails you make look really nice!
is there a difference in the years. I seem to remember my 71 and 72 verts rails having a different shape than my 58. Seems one is boxed at front and the other narrows to an edge of metal plate? Ot are they all the same? My memorey is fuzzy on this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rails i make fit to 70 without alteration, the 71-79 for supers and fit with alterations, Im currently having them recut for supers as i need a set myself for my 73. the shape at the rear seems to be different also. The front fitting under the firewall/crossmember is different

My 59 has some of my rails fitted and they look and fit the same as the ones Original on my 58

WWW.TheVolksmeister.Com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea this thread!

Here’s my December 1959 (1960 model) Karmann Kabriolett

VIN 2760284
Build December 1959, original colour according to BC L54 Poppy Red (not a 1960 colour!? Confused )

I bought it like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and currently it looks like this

Got a build thread here (sorry only in Dutch) and lot’s of pics in the gallery; search for ‘1960 Karmann‘

Regarding some of the questions in this thread and the oval vert thread: here’s a pic of the interior outlet of my Eberspacher heater.

and here’s a pic of the fully painted bumper brackets in the middle of some other stuff.

I think the silver ones are resprayed.

Hope this helps, Bret.

I also have a question for you guys(one of many to come I am sure!).

I cleaned my pretty rusty interior light housing and I wonder what it originally should look like. Painted? What colour? Other coating/treatment? Anyone has pictures?

Before

After

Thanks!

Marcel
vwrobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 58 had body coloured light holder. I have a pic somewhere if i can find it , the whole top frame was body coloured.

WWW.TheVolksmeister.Com
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
Great idea this thread!

Here’s my December 1959 (1960 model) Karmann Kabriolett

VIN 2760284
Build December 1959, original colour according to BC L54 Poppy Red (not a 1960 colour!? Confused )

I bought it like this

and currently it looks like this

Got a build thread here (sorry only in Dutch) and lot’s of pics in the gallery; search for ‘1960 Karmann‘

Regarding some of the questions in this thread and the oval vert thread: here’s a pic of the interior outlet of my Eberspacher heater.

and here’s a pic of the fully painted bumper brackets in the middle of some other stuff.

I think the silver ones are resprayed.

Hope this helps, Bret.

I also have a question for you guys(one of many to come I am sure!).

I cleaned my pretty rusty interior light housing and I wonder what it originally should look like. Painted? What colour? Other coating/treatment? Anyone has pictures?

Before

After

Thanks!

Marcel

The dome light housing should be painted black. it was however originally painted black, then installed on the top frame wood and would have been oversprayed the body color of your car.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: 1960 Convertable Reply with quote

Here's our? I mean our 8 year old sons January 27th 1960
Vin# 2 849 187
Original Color: L 452 Paprika
Destination Los Angeles, Ca.
Options: M 128 White wall Tires
: M 358 US- Equipment
: M 559 Upolstery Leatherette Grey
: M575 Top Cover Mouse Grey
Original Engine and trans.--- Long gone.
Running a 40hp right now with a early 60's gearbox. (came with the car)
I did alot of parts searching to get this Beetle to where it is now, Poor thing was Missing alot of stuff when I bought it. Just recently got the correct top frame for it. the pic shows a 61 thru 64 frame.
[/url]
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Convertable Reply with quote

lovethatconvertable wrote:
Here's our? I mean our 8 year old sons January 27th 1960
Vin# 2 849 187
Original Color: L 452 Paprika
Destination Los Angeles, Ca.
Options: M 128 White wall Tires
: M 358 US- Equipment
: M 559 Upolstery Leatherette Grey
: M575 Top Cover Mouse Grey
Original Engine and trans.--- Long gone.
Running a 40hp right now with a early 60's gearbox. (came with the car)
I did alot of parts searching to get this Beetle to where it is now, Poor thing was Missing alot of stuff when I bought it. Just recently got the correct top frame for it. the pic shows a 61 thru 64 frame.
[/url]

Beautiful car, looks great with the skirts on it! is it painted gulf blue now?

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I had some paint mixed at the store so I could repaint the inside of the car also rear fender and decklid. I can say I've touched every square inch of this bug, it really has minimal issues. Metal Wise. Anyway I'm kinda thinking Slate Blue because it has a grey hue to it in person. I asked one time for some input on the color but no reply. Oh by the way thanks for the Positive remark on the car.
Luftsick Tero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots of my 1960 L452 Paprika Red 'Vert.

More in: http://luftsick.blogspot.com/search/label/My%20Cabriolet
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luftsick Tero wrote:
Some shots of my 1960 L452 Paprika Red 'Vert.

More in: http://luftsick.blogspot.com/search/label/My%20Cabriolet

this vert is nice and clean! great build!

Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 1986 I spotted the body of this '60 bug convertible sitting on the back of a VW single-cab truck stored inside an old VW repair building. The body, although without fenders, was damage free and still in original paint with very minor rust. Bob Conner, the president of the Houston VW Club at the time purchased the car. A few years later he sold it to me for 1500 bucks. I purchased very nice set of '58 fenders and found for sale a rusty bodied '60 convertible (#2691559) with a fully restored and rebuilt chassis. I married the two and below are some photos. The body has been blasted and professionally painted by a good friend and long time owner of a body shop. In 1989 I found and purchased a mother load of VW parts. From that stash I had built a complete nos 36hp engine. To this point no corners have been cut or spared during the restoration.

With time constraints presently I am at a stalemate. I am a believer that the top can make or break the looks of a convertible. I have all the parts and I am looking for someone to professionally finish fit the windows, install the top/interior, and complete the restoration. A few weeks ago I contacted Karmann Classics and didn't get a return response. This has been a long time restoration and will hopefully complete be soon.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice color combo Karmann Gheezer, It's coming along nicely. That's going to be a fun Convertable. Why sit around and wait for the windows and top? Do what I'm doing just Drive that puppy without. Cool I am getting ready to have my window frames plated and then onto the top materials =$ I just can't wait to go puttin' I guess, most people don't even realize the windows aren't even on the car. It's amazing how many elderly folks ask about the beetle when I'm out and about.
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, LTC. The windows are installed but not adjusted properly for fitting the top. I was hoping to have the installer complete the top & interior (before adding fenders and side chrome) to protect any scratches/dents during installation. I may go ahead and do everything I can do (install fenders, bumpers, running boards, ect). That way when top and interior is finished the car will be done.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea believe me I wish my windows were in the car even if they still needed to be adjusted. Some day soon I hope. I'm really digging that color you went with, it just looks Fabulous. Oh and yes put that thing together.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmann Gheezer wrote:
Around 1986 I spotted the body of this '60 bug convertible sitting on the back of a VW single-cab truck stored inside an old VW repair building. The body, although without fenders, was damage free and still in original paint with very minor rust. Bob Conner, the president of the Houston VW Club at the time purchased the car. A few years later he sold it to me for 1500 bucks. I purchased very nice set of '58 fenders and found for sale a rusty bodied '60 convertible (#2691559) with a fully restored and rebuilt chassis. I married the two and below are some photos. The body has been blasted and professionally painted by a good friend and long time owner of a body shop. In 1989 I found and purchased a mother load of VW parts. From that stash I had built a complete nos 36hp engine. To this point no corners have been cut or spared during the restoration.

With time constraints presently I am at a stalemate. I am a believer that the top can make or break the looks of a convertible. I have all the parts and I am looking for someone to professionally finish fit the windows, install the top/interior, and complete the restoration. A few weeks ago I contacted Karmann Classics and didn't get a return response. This has been a long time restoration and will hopefully complete be soon.

hey there,
thought id give you a heads up before you got too farther along. the rear body bow on convertibles up to 1964 must be installed and nailed in place then leaded over and then painted as those nail holes around the back of your car will be vissible. you could get away with haveing the material be extra long in back to cover this, but it may look a little funny. just thought id let you know becasue you may need to repaint the rear part of the car again.
Love that grey and white combo! really a nice vintage look! nice to see yet another vert being brought back from the depths of time !

Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTC, your talkin' me into it. I've been spending time lately with this sweet Karmann thing. Found her with 73,000 original miles with her parts in boxes. She'll be together back to original real soon. Then to finish the 60 cab. I'll post photos as I go.

Thanks
R

GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Convertable Reply with quote

p.

Last edited by GüteAndTite on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:

hey there,
thought id give you a heads up before you got too farther along. the rear body bow on convertibles up to 1964 must be installed and nailed in place then leaded over and then painted as those nail holes around the back of your car will be vissible. you could get away with haveing the material be extra long in back to cover this, but it may look a little funny. just thought id let you know becasue you may need to repaint the rear part of the car again.
Love that grey and white combo! really a nice vintage look! nice to see yet another vert being brought back from the depths of time !

Thanks for the nice comments and for the heads up. Do you have any documentation that I can read up on? We have all the new bows and if that's what it needs we'll get it done. My good friend (the painter) is like a brother to me. He painted the car for me and didn't even charge me.

Below is my inspiration. A '57 Cab from the front cover of Hot VW's in March of '85.

Ray

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 55

Jump to: