Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cutting swivel seat base out of donor van
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Cutting swivel seat base out of donor van Reply with quote

I found a junkyard donor van that I want to pull the seats out of to swap into my Westy. The donor has a swivel on the passenger side, which I'd really like to swap over as well. I haven't taken a close look yet, but I'm going to assume it's a factory install with the lower piece welded in place.

What's the best way to cut the base out of the van? I can borrow a cordless sawzall...just not sure what the easiest cut location is going to be both in terms of getting it out and reinstalling later.

I have a wire-feed welder, so will be using that for the install.
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it a little easer to use a cordless drill and a centerdrill bit and drill the welds. Then with a flat chisel breaker loose. But Iv also found one that was instaled with Alum. rivets?? I was able to give that one a few good yanks and out it came.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way that's easiest, they're NOT spot welds, they're bead welds..

what I do is a cordless sawzall (plenty of spare batts in car)
I make a cut down one side only (the outside) thru the sheet metal and then via the wheel well cut the outside totally free. cut the thin metal the thick stuff wastes precious battery life.

then I hinge/lever it up against the welds on the inside edge (do have to score a little weld that goes side to side so it'll crack)
but I lever it up & down and it stresses and fatigues the weld to crack.
so that I can deal with cleaning it up at home.

Best of luck they're worth it and not side specific.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second dans method. Cut one side free then bend he whole sucker until it breaks free... Way easier to clean it up on the bench
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so you actually go from the outside of the van through the wheel well? Having a hard time picturing where to cut (though would probably make more sense if I had the van sitting in front of me)...
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shenan-agon wrote:
Hmm, so you actually go from the outside of the van through the wheel well? Having a hard time picturing where to cut (though would probably make more sense if I had the van sitting in front of me)...

no. take the seat off and the top swivel part. look at the piece you need pillage. there are weld beads on both sides. cut at the weld beads on one side...once that side is free of the van, twist it up to break the other side and it will come free. you then need to weld this part into your van at the same spots it was previously welded.

heres mine after welding it in. you can clearly see what is new and old:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clearify. I took the hole rail off. I drilled out the spot welds from the factory rails. then chisel under the rail. Sorry.
I bought one off C/L that was cut off inside the welds and there was not enough left to reweld it in. Thats why i would take the rails and then grind off the welds when i got home. There are a lot of wrecking yards that dont let you grind or flame cut in the yard.

jcl
VR Fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cordless angle grinder with a waffer wheel is the way to go. You can cut directly on the welds inside of the stock seat rails with no harm to any of the surrounding metal.
BTW, a cordless grinder and spare batts are an invaluable junkyard tool. I've used one for everything from cutting heads off of stuck bolts to salvaging entire quarter panels.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding my experience from the junkyard today...

I think using a sawzall SUCKED, and I mean SUCKED. I rented a 1000W generator($20 for 2 hours) and brought it to the yard. A grinder with a cutting disk would have been 10 times easier, and I had one, BUT the yard has a no grinding policy so I had to leave it in the car.

I went through all kinds of angles and approaches and cusswords to get one side cut(side to center of van) then levered it up and broke the welds on the other side.

PS: A 1000W generator is NOT sufficient, it barely did the job.

Last edited by Robw_z on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wanted some swivel bases out of a van at the wrecker's a few years back, Trey brought the van over near the shop on the forklift, and went at them with a sawzall. I politely waited and watched him trying to find an angle that would work, and getting very little purchase with the blade, before I said what I was thinking before he even started: "dontcha think an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel would do a good job on that?" He tried for another minute with the sawzall and went off the fetch the grinder. Took about two minutes per base to make nice clean cuts thru the welds, no damage to the bases at all, no crazy contortions involved. Sawzall is a great too for demo work but this is not the kind of cut it's any good at.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, yeah well I've sawzalled many.. like 4 sets and it's fast and easy..
but most of the u-pull pick-n-puls here will NOT ALLOW a grinder in. and trust me I have a very nice 18v Dewalt grinder with a very thin titanum grade cut off wheels.

the dewalt sawzall still gets the job done easily. just not on the welds,
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
heh, yeah well I've sawzalled many.. like 4 sets and it's fast and easy..
but most of the u-pull pick-n-puls here will NOT ALLOW a grinder in. and trust me I have a very nice 18v Dewalt grinder with a very thin titanum grade cut off wheels.

the dewalt sawzall still gets the job done easily. just not on the welds,

I think you must use a strategy which is not immediately apparent to the eye, or against a Vanagon owners tendency to not want to cannibalize a van, even one which will never see the road again Smile

I read your post above from months ago before going to the junkyard, and while there could not see how you do it. Do you cut a line parallel to the doorjam, in the middle between the jam and the seat track, and then go at it from below the wheel well?

-Rob

Last edited by Robw_z on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes parallel to the outside rail then under the track along the "secret space' and connect the 2 parallel cuts to free the outward side.

I do cut thru the plastic expansion bottles, it is not reverseble.
and I use a BFH to cave the panel some to make the connecting cuts easier.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: