Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper Seat Track Placement
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Proper Seat Track Placement Reply with quote

I bought some aftermarket seats for my thing build. They came with track sliders. I was going to weld up some mounts for them, just wondering the placement for them. Any measurements or advice.
Thanks
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody???
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question is a little vague. Let me see if I can figure out what you are looking for. You would like for someone with stock seats to measure the height of the seat bottom from the floor and the front of the seatback from the dashboard, or something along those lines. Right?
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would help as well. Sorry for the vagueness, I was thinking more of where on the floor pan the mounts would be attached. There is a set of grooves in my pans,Do the stock mounts fit inside these grooves? I have new Ghia pans.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the sliders fit the stock seat mounts that were welded to the pan?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Gallery. I remember them being more angled though. I believe these may have been placed in a different location as the owner needed more legroom

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is more like it. This is from the Thing Shop Catalog. Those grooves may be for Ghia seat tracks. or,.....not

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will claim the gallery pan pic.

can't claim the need for more leg room, only average ht here

unfortunately I had only some other reference pics as I had removed both pan halves. tracks were trashed. old metal went to the dump before I realized I needed reference.

I used Thing Shop tracks and placed them to where I felt the tracks made the appropriate contact with the pan. scratched my head a few times and said move forward, hit those welds.

I can see the difference with the over view shots provided.

i did read somewhere on the angle of the tracks in reference to the pan sides etc.

seats have enough adjustment.

I guess I could have used the second photo.

great reference photo from the Thing shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad. I think the Thing Shop has only offered pre-built pans for the last couple of months and I don't believe that picture was available before then.

Besides, you have one of the nicest builds I've seen.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great guys. Thanks. I don't have the old pan, same as Ziggy, trashed what was left of it. As far as the sliders fitting the mounts, I was not intending on using stock mounts. I was thinking I would fab my own and weld them to the pan. Just taking measurements from the seats.
Thanks for the pics and the input. I will post some pics when I get them in. It's been awhile since I updated my page but have been making progress. Got the rockers in both sides and lined up the pans to make sure they fit. Body work is rolling nicely, replacing lots of fender nuts.
Post when I get time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: