Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sea Foam engine cleaner
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Sea Foam engine cleaner Reply with quote

So my Subaru 2.2 had an intermittent lifter like noise on the passenger side head for a week then it was all of the time for the last two weeks. I have read alot of information from people that swear by this stuff(Seafoam) and decided to give it a try. I put in 1.5 ounces for every quart of oil and drove it for thirty miles and then did an oil change. The lifter noise was still there so I put another dose into the crankcase and drove for another 60 miles and the lifter noise was gone. I have driven it a few times since then and it has come back but very quiet compared to the original problem. The noise has been gone for two days now and the engine sounds really good now. They recomend you put a third in the crank case, a third in the Intake(vacuum hose in FI) and a third of a can in the gas tank. I thought it was another snake oil but it seems to live up to the hype. My 2.2 was filthy on the inside(lack of oil changes) from PO. I will put updates on here as I am driving 300 miles this next weekend and will have an ear out for that lifter noise. wish I knew about this stuff when I still had the WBX because it was a noisey sumbitch in the lifter department! Wink
2006 jeep commander
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Foam engine cleaner Reply with quote

The Toyota Landcruiser fanatics make Vanagon guys look...well, very NON-OCD. They're INSANE about every part on their FJs...and they SWEAR by Seafoam.

I went down to PA to shoot pics of a TLCA gathering a few years back. Drove my '89 FJ62. I parked in the shop, next to his. I had 145k on mine and he 265k on his motor. We popped both valve covers to adjust the valves and mine looked like you'd expect an old straight 6 to look...tarnished and just sort of stained brown. Steve's looked new.

New.

I asked what in the hell?!

That was when the sermon began. They swear by it and since then, so do I.

'83 1.6TD
DX 5 Speed
"Whistler"
www.sinisterbikes.com
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always worked great for me, flushing out the oil system and quieting lifters. 1st treatment I usually dump a half of a can in the oil and drive it for an hour or two to get it worked around, and change the oil. Then add a little to keep the lifters happy. It doesn't help the lifter noise on my current engine though. (I have old school mechanical lifters Smile ) The only other products I am sold on are Schaffer's Moly treatment and BG transaxle additives.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I noticed in these posts that everyone change the oil after driving a few/several/some miles after adding SeaFoam to their engine oil. I did add most of a can/bottle to my engine oil and just kept driving until my next scheduled oil change.
Should oil be changed after using SeaFoam or can it just stay until the next oil change, and why ? .. or why not Laughing Laughing Laughing

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
thurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Diesel Fuel for cleaning? Reply with quote

Many, many years ago I bought a used '64 Bug, a cheap set of sockets, and "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot". The author, John Muir, recommended cleaning the engine by pouring a quart of diesel fuel down the throat of the carb while holding the throttle open. Lots of white smoke!

Is this a predecessor of Sea Foam? Is the diesel treatment a good idea?
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Fuel for cleaning? Reply with quote

If you're just doing 1/3 a can, they suggest leaving it in for the duration of a change.

'83 1.6TD
DX 5 Speed
"Whistler"
www.sinisterbikes.com
JoeVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention Land Cruisers. I had an FJ62 with sticky lifters due to gunk. I put a quart of Automatic Transmission Fluid into the oil, and problems went away and gunk was gone. For my Vanagons, I put Sea Foam, half a can, into my 90 and my 86 Vanagons, and bye bye lifter noise. I'm sure it looks a lot cleaner in there too. I'll continue to use it until I swap to a Suby motor, then hopefully I won't need it. But if I do, I won't hesitate. I think the biggest thing to consider is that ATF and Sea foam contain conditioners, essentially soap that helps dissolve some of the sludge in there. As long as you get something in there with a conditioner, be it ATF, Sea Foam, or Marvel Mystery Oil, to break down the sludge, you'll be in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoRX does the job too.

If you're really into it, check out Bob Is the Oil Guy BITOG.com. Tells you more about penguins than you wanted to know.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another testimonial...

of course its not good experiment, no controls etc...

My '86 syncro has been parked for the last month as I slowly go about working on it. When I started it up last week it had a horrendous lifter noise. Letting it idle for 5-10 minutes did not help. I didn't drive it until today, after I did the seafoam treatment - 1/3 can in crankcase, 2/3 in gas tank. After driving for about 2 miles, the lifter noise just went away. Not gradually, but "just like that".

Who knows if the lifter(s) would have pumped up without the seafoam, but boy it sure worked "as advertised".

cheers

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
hrtm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Foam engine cleaner Reply with quote

One thing not covered in this thread yet is *how often* you should treat the motor.

Also didn't see much discussion on how this stuff works when added to the gas tank to clean up the fuel pump and injectors.

Anyone?
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Foam engine cleaner Reply with quote

I use SeaFoam in the tank at the end of the season to stabilize Winston's gas and do that much more injector and engine cleaning.

The results for many years now seem to have been stellar. He starts and runs the tank through each year, and when I pulled his injectors to install the new metal fuel lines, they looked pristine. I do use Marvel Mystery Oil, which is an additional variable, admittedly, on regular fill ups.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Foam engine cleaner Reply with quote

I've got an oil change coming up on my to do list. Any reason not to treat the oil with SeaFoam prior to the change, and is it correct to just pour the recommended dosage in my oil filler tube? Seems like good stuff.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Foam engine cleaner Reply with quote

reviving an old seafoam thread...

I am reading about adding this to your oil, then driving for a while - then doing an oil change.

Wouldn't this overfill your oil? Or is the amount small enough that it doesn't matter?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Foam engine cleaner Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
reviving an old seafoam thread...

I am reading about adding this to your oil, then driving for a while - then doing an oil change.

Wouldn't this overfill your oil? Or is the amount small enough that it doesn't matter?
You can drain a bit of oil out, then add your additive.
Check the dipstick to keep the oil level between the marks on the stick.
I forgot to do that when I was adding Marvel Mystery Oil and ended up just over the top mark. Got some smoking out of the engine/exhaust until I corrected the oil level back down to the between-the-marks level.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Foam engine cleaner Reply with quote

Look at the Liqui-Moly products IMO. Great line and very well reviewed. I always experienced sensor issues with Seafoam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: