Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

to part out or not to part out?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: to part out or not to part out? Reply with quote

i found this bus 2 weeks ago. its been sitting since 1988. the engine spins over so that a good sign. it will probably need an engine rebuild, complete brake system rebuild and a new gas tank (its been sitting w/ no gas cap). the interior looks decent but there is rust. the front floors are swiss cheese and the dog legs are rusted through. i think it had been sitting w/ the front end in a wet spot. the studs for the lug nuts are in real bad shape due to rust. my question is this. would this bus be considered a parts bus or is it worth saving. the other major problem is there is no title.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No title is bad. Check with your local DMV and find out the process for getting one. Using a title service like ITS titles or a similar place, if legal in your state, will run about $400 or so. The body doesn't look bad.....if it was me I would do anything I could to try and save it. If it didn't work out or it was too far gone, I'd part it. Lots of good stuff in there, but obviously saving it would be ideal. Don't assume it needs a rebuild. I pulled a Bus out of a field in Nashville, IN 2.5 years ago, got it running and I've put almost 30K miles on it since. Even the rust has rust, but it just won't quit. I drove it through NY, Canada, MI, WI, IL, IN, MO, OH and PA in a week last year and covered 2,495 miles without a single problem. These Buses aren't as fragile as everyone likes to make them out to be. If the price is good, get it. You won't lose money no matter what you end up doing with it.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

applying for a lost title in Tennessee is a pain in the rear. it used to be really easy but not anymore.
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a bus at the beach in Oregon this past weekend that you could see through the drivers door and it was still on the road. I'd try to get a deal for it without the title and try to title it in a state that is more lenient and then transfer it. That bus doesn't look that bad to me.
gisely
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Worth saving. Smile
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No title = parts bus
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my bus it didn't have a title but it was registered to the owner. When we went to the DOL they found him in the database and I had a title in less than a month. The trick is if the guy selling it ever had a title for it and registered it. If not it can be tricky but not impossible.
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousegrey64 wrote:
applying for a lost title in Tennessee is a pain in the rear. it used to be really easy but not anymore.

Can you elaborate a little? What hoops do you have to jump thru?? In MS, getting a title bond is a bit of a PITA but not all that bad (time heals all disgrunteled wounds Smile). It costs about $150 a couple years ago. An insurance agent writes you up a bond application which is only good for a month. You take that, the bill of sale and the bus to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI). One of their people will give you a shitty look and then come out and check the VIN and they run the VIN. If all is good (not reported stolen or anything fishy) then they give you some certificate which you then take to the Tax Collector then they issue a title bond which sticks with the bus for life far as I can tell. There is no issues registering a car with a bonded title here. Its a painful process but really just takes some time. I would do it again if the bus was worth it. That one looks like its worth saving from here. Know anyone in northern MS??

Last edited by kevin77westy on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut it up and part it out - the front nose looks good and will sell fast.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once paid my local DMV (in Florida) a whopping $1 to find out who the last owner of record was on a VW based on the VIN number. Then you coax them into getting a duplicate title and transferring it to you. Maybe take them to Applebees for their trouble and learn the buses history. Order the Cowboy Burger, Medium Well. They're good.

Steve
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you won't be able to answer that question until it is safe to go under it and look at the rear torsion tube area for rust. Almost anything else can be replaced if you a patient and have time or money but once that area rusts it is parts only.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just for reference....the torsion tube on this Bus is still solid. Pulled this one out of a field....sat for 10 years. Almost 30K on it in the past two and a half years.

a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes sir - that door still amazes me each time I see a photo of it.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
yes sir - that door still amazes me each time I see a photo of it.

VW should of mounted them that way.... imagine trying to swing that open in a crowded parking lot.... BANG! ...whoops! Laughing

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that with the right prop you could use it to turn right on a flea. Going downwind you could open it and sail.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin77westy wrote:
mousegrey64 wrote:

Can you elaborate a little? What hoops do you have to jump thru?? In MS, getting a title bond is a bit of a PITA but not all that bad (time heals all disgrunteled wounds Smile). It costs about $150 a couple years ago. An insurance agent writes you up a bond application which is only good for a month. You take that, the bill of sale and the bus to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI). One of their people will give you a shitty look and then come out and check the VIN and they run the VIN. If all is good (not reported stolen or anything fishy) then they give you some certificate which you then take to the Tax Collector then they issue a title bond which sticks with the bus for life far as I can tell. There is no issues registering a car with a bonded title here. Its a painful process but really just takes some time. I would do it again if the bus was worth it. That one looks like its worth saving from here. Know anyone in northern MS??

TN used to be easy, all you needed was certificate of ownership noterized, a pencil rubbing of the VIN and a refused certified letter of the last known owner (the last know owner could be your buddy for all they cared). the trick was the certified letter had to be returned. that showed you tried to make contact w/ the previous owner but could not. now TN wont accept this procedure and you call the office in Nashville and it like pulling teeth. the last time i talked to someone there she seriously asked me" why are you messing w/ some old junk car, just get rid of it" and this was the lady in charge. i haven't tried since to get a lost title through the state of TN. i did ITS last year for a vespa scooter i bought but now their fees have skyrocketed for cars.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Cut it up and part it out - the front nose looks good and will sell fast.

nose is full of bondo Sad
bignick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titlereg/f1310401Fill-in.pdf

6 steps and no need for the certified letter IF you post an add in the legal notices in the newspaper and wait 10 days for an intereste party to respond.

My stance is that if you can get it for a song and spend a few hours finding a title, you might be able to sell it to someone who will keep it on the road and make you a few $$$ for your effort. I bought my bus for $150 and did the legwork (tracked down owners until I got one) and it has sure paid off (or will if/when I sell it).

Doesn't look like there are any fees associated with this form either!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww... don't part it out. They don't make these anymore, ya know.

As for title, it seems that some consider this an insurmountable hurdle, but I think it varies a lot fro state to state. I got an untitled bus, and within a few months and a few hundred $ it was titled up just fine. That is in New Mexico, though. Tennessee sounds similar, from the above posts.

You should be able to get it for next to nothing, without a title.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Finks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See we don't need titles in Maine, mostly because within 10 years all cars more represent potting soil than an automobile.

Take that California! .................

Quote:
Do Bentley's share a lot of the same parts as VW's? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the right manual for the car? Am I missing something?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: