Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
accountant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Anybody use these front and rear bumpers?
How do they compare to GoWesty or other bumpers?
Thanks
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMW bumpers have more attachment points to the van and are stronger because of this.
The two look complete different.
The GWs are a cleaner look.
Depends upon what you need.
Both are well built for sure.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you like skeletonized tube bumpers, Rocky Mountain Westy makes really good ones.

If you prefer a bumper that looks stock, but is much more sturdy than a stock bumper, the GoWesty bumpers are the way to go.

I feel so strongly about not using Round Tube Bumpers on a Square Vanagon, that I went to the extra expense of removing Tube Bumpers that came with a van I bought, and replaced them with GoWesty Bumpers.

consider also the option to have a tire carrier built into the bumper, in which case the Rocky Mountain Westy gets my vote. The way the tire carrier attaches to a GoWesty bumper is not very sturdy. I have seen one van with the GoWesty tire carrier at Syncro De Mayo, that had a dent in the driver side panel, where the tire carrier attachment had flexed the body of the Van.. not pretty..

I prefer the Gary Lee tire carrier to the Go Westy option..
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square also gets my vote,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
The way the tire carrier attaches to a GoWesty bumper is not very sturdy. I have seen one van with the GoWesty tire carrier at Syncro De Mayo, that had a dent in the driver side panel, where the tire carrier attachment had flexed the body of the Van.. not pretty..

I have seen the same thing and it was from swinging it too far open and squashing the tire into the body, not from the body flexing.

The plate where the GW carrier attaches to the body is smaller than Gary Lee's but it is pretty sturdy. It held my weight fine when I hung on it.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love these bumpers.
They we're an anniversary gift from my wife. There good quality and very sturdy.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:
They we're an anniversary gift from my wife. There good quality and very sturdy.

Your wife is awesome!

I like both styles of bumper - tube and plate - though I'm waiting to see what RMW comes out with for their plate bumper. I'm sure it will be amazing.
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... been waiting, hoping and wishing that Rocky Mountain finishes their redesign of the tube-bumpers they've been selling.

I'm really interested in plate-style bumpers for the back and front, with a 2" hitch in the back and one in the front for storing a 16" spare. Going to be sweet!

Mike at RockyMtnWesty said the new bumpers were 3-4 weeks out in mid July, end of July he said 2 weeks. So I bet it's getting close!
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Mike from Rocky Mountain Westy 2 weeks ago at the Denver Bug-In about the new plate style bumpers. I would hold off on purchasing a bumper until you get a look at the new ones. From his description, they sound awesome. Hope to see them in the next couple weeks.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Yes 25 sets are going to the powdercoater this week. The bumpers are going to be pretty amazing. Sorry no sneak peaks. Mostly because pictures in raw steel don't do it justice. They are modular bumpers that will shipp in a box. They are Heavy Duty for sure. They are going to have lots of options and accessories including color. They will probably be at the powdercoater for a week or so. 10 sets will be going to Peter at Van-Cafe. Don't call Peter and bug him about them. He is a busy guy as am I. When they are ready I will put pictures and some video out there for you guys to see. These bumpers are going to absolutly be far superior to anything we have built or anything else that is available.

I also like the purplepeolpeeaters bumpers. hint hint. He did a great job.

Stay Tuned
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, are your brakets going to be bolt on? I was turned off by the sturdyness of the other plate bumpers bracket up front.... But really like the looks of it

I didn't Start making these to compete with the big guys, I am cheap and didn't want to pay shipping... But it appears I'll be making a few sets
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! RMW plate bumpers!!

No shipping for me, they are only 50mi up the road Cool . Can't wait to see them.

-Chad
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
Cool, are your brakets going to be bolt on? I was turned off by the sturdyness of the other plate bumpers bracket up front.... But really like the looks of it

I didn't Start making these to compete with the big guys, I am cheap and didn't want to pay shipping... But it appears I'll be making a few sets

I am with you. Our brackets are going to drop through the front unibody and then the bumper will attach to the brackets.

No worries on the competition. I think it is great that people are making there own bumpers. Especially considering the current options. Hence why I saw opportunity. Our bumpers will be very competitively priced with the GW boys. The front is actually pretty easy. You might want to hold off on making a few pairs. I think it will be hard to compete with these new ones we are making. They are going to be cheap to ship and they should be very appealling to most. Of course you are welcome to build anything you want and I think competition is great I just don't want to see you make all the mistakes I made. It has been a long and painful learning curve. So stay tuned.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:

Good wife - I'm admiring your wheels. What are they??

"Those things are over kill and I want a set" - Jedi

"All my work explores the human desire or obsession for utopias, and the structure of all my works is the search for utopias lost and rediscovered." - Marguerite Young

www.bewilderknits.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpudlyHotPotato wrote:

westy81 wrote:
Petervw wrote:
westyventures.com has a new line of direct bolt-on alloy wheels both in the 15 & 16" x 7.. ET35...look under parts

Here's the link: http://westyventures.com/parts.html

...and the blurb from the page:

westyventures wrote:
NEW direct-fit alloy wheels available: It seems the South African 15" alloy wheel supply has finally dried up, so the company importing those is now having custom wheels produced overseas in both 15" x 6.5" and 16" x 7" sizes, perfect offset of ET35.

The 15" wheels are $139 each, 16" wheels $159 each, includes center caps. Shipping additional. Email for a quote to your location. parts at westyventures.com

purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I tested mounting like that and it didn't seem to strong...but I didn't play with it much like that, I got tired of drilling holes Very Happy

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:

I am with you. Our brackets are going to drop through the front unibody and then the bumper will attach to the brackets.

No worries on the competition. I think it is great that people are making there own bumpers. Especially considering the current options. Hence why I saw opportunity. Our bumpers will be very competitively priced with the GW boys. The front is actually pretty easy. You might want to hold off on making a few pairs. I think it will be hard to compete with these new ones we are making. They are going to be cheap to ship and they should be very appealling to most. Of course you are welcome to build anything you want and I think competition is great I just don't want to see you make all the mistakes I made. It has been a long and painful learning curve. So stay tuned.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:
SpudlyHotPotato wrote:

westy81 wrote:
Petervw wrote:
westyventures.com has a new line of direct bolt-on alloy wheels both in the 15 & 16" x 7.. ET35...look under parts

Here's the link: http://westyventures.com/parts.html

...and the blurb from the page:

westyventures wrote:
NEW direct-fit alloy wheels available: It seems the South African 15" alloy wheel supply has finally dried up, so the company importing those is now having custom wheels produced overseas in both 15" x 6.5" and 16" x 7" sizes, perfect offset of ET35.

The 15" wheels are $139 each, 16" wheels $159 each, includes center caps. Shipping additional. Email for a quote to your location. parts at westyventures.com

I don't see them listed there anymore, is there any other source for these wheels now?

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdepot
I wouldn't call it the perfect offset and width though.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:

I don't see them listed there anymore, is there any other source for these wheels now?

Small car had them last year, but they seem to be gone. Not much help, but I'm sure a phone call would tell you if they are NLA or just poor sellers.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
Hey Guys,

Yes 25 sets are going to the powdercoater this week. The bumpers are going to be pretty amazing. Sorry no sneak peaks. Mostly because pictures in raw steel don't do it justice. They are modular bumpers that will shipp in a box. They are Heavy Duty for sure. They are going to have lots of options and accessories including color. They will probably be at the powdercoater for a week or so. 10 sets will be going to Peter at Van-Cafe. Don't call Peter and bug him about them. He is a busy guy as am I. When they are ready I will put pictures and some video out there for you guys to see. These bumpers are going to absolutly be far superior to anything we have built or anything else that is available.

I also like the purplepeolpeeaters bumpers. hint hint. He did a great job.

Stay Tuned

Looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.
I like the sounds of how the attach already...beefy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: