Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Terrorist Bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: The Terrorist Bus Reply with quote

i have a customer who calls baywindow buses 'The Terrorist Bus'. this is a reference to Back to the Future, where the libyan terrorists have a late bay sunroof bus, and the dude is standing up in the sunroof opening with a machine gun. because of this image, jimmy says he will never drive a baywindow bus. i find this pretty funny.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

every time jimmy comes to the shop he drops the 'terrorist bus' comment at least once. his bus is a sweet '64 crew cab so i guess he figures he's earned his split snob status. we get some pretty nice baywindow buses at our shop. he'll say things like 'that's an ok bus but it's a terrorist bus so i wouldn't drive it'. 'oh no, that's a terrorist bus, no good for me'.

anyone else have stories about baywindow stigmas? how about the good old 'hey, nice hippie bus'. that's another good one.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen quite a few terrorrust buses. Very Happy I have been told "Nice van"
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terrorists probably just couldn't afford a split window, and needed a little more speed.

I got stuck behind a toyota pickup hauling rocks and broken concrete the other day. It was a narrow road with no possibility of passing for several miles. I chuckled at the thought of a bus getting stuck behind someone else for once.

"Never get behind a VW bus", indeed. Exclamation

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds annoying to me. I like to tell people like that when I want their opinion I'll pull their cord but if he's a customer guess you can't. I bet his wife loves his comments on everything!
Finks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sounds to me like a guy that every time you see him jokes about how his wife should get a boob job.

Either way, thanks for bringing back the memory. I remember thinking the bus was cooler than the Delorean back when I 1st saw Back to the Future.

Quote:
Do Bentley's share a lot of the same parts as VW's? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the right manual for the car? Am I missing something?
gisely
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prof. showed me a document containing photos of a late model bus driving through the desert at what appears to be a very high speed. Pics were taken from the inside of the bus, and you could see extreme optical distortions in the Joshua trees all around the bus, and the desert was colored like a rainbow. He said he only showed them to me because I own a bus and all, but when I press him for more info about the pics, he wouldn't comment. Weird, Huh? Surprised
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom toy bus by a very talented guy.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh shoot, i need one of those.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other month I was driving by Disneyland on my way to Fat Perf. to work on Ron Flemings super street race car and what pulls up along my side was the back to the future DeLorean! I took some photos as the Fat guys wouldn't believe me but I have since deleted them from my phone....

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in school in the late 80's we had a 70 transporter. I never got the "hipi" bus comment. It was always the terrorist comment.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that is why local cops keep eyeballing me or pulling me over. Thanks.
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not quite 'terrorists' but conspirary theorists Langly, Melvin Frohike and John Fitzgerald Byers used Bays as transport in 'The X-Files' and 'The Lone Gunmen' (yep, that's Scully in the left corner of the first pic Laughing )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:
The other month I was driving by Disneyland on my way to Fat Perf. to work on Ron Flemings super street race car and what pulls up along my side was the back to the future DeLorean! I took some photos as the Fat guys wouldn't believe me but I have since deleted them from my phone....

Nearly the same thing happened to me!

I was driving my 1960 23 window built by WCC, engine built by Jake Raby when I pulled up to a stop light on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. I was on my way to buy a new Rolex, as my current Rolex has been scratched by my 2 carat DeBeers pinky ring. This DeLorean pulls up next to me, and I waved to him. I then noticed it was George Lucas! We talked for a minute while the light was red; George and I had done a few projects together, and it was good to catch up. We made plans to meet later in the week for lunch at Spago's. The light turned green, and we took off; my Pirelli P Zeros gripped the asphalt nicely as I stepped on my billet accelerator pedal designed by Chip Foose. He made the billet pedal for me as a way of saying thanks for loaning him the money to open up his first shop.

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:

I was driving my 1960 23 window built by WCC, engine built by Jake Raby when I pulled up to a stop light on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. I was on my way to buy a new Rolex, as my current Rolex has been scratched by my 2 carat DeBeers pinky ring. This DeLorean pulls up next to me, and I waved to him. I then noticed it was George Lucas! We talked for a minute while the light was red; George and I had done a few projects together, and it was good to catch up. We made plans to meet later in the week for lunch at Spago's. The light turned green, and we took off; my Pirelli P Zeros gripped the asphalt nicely as I stepped on my billet accelerator pedal designed by Chip Foose. He made the billet pedal for me as a way of saying thanks for loaning him the money to open up his first shop.

Wink
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should re-write this so you can drop more names.

vwbusbusvw wrote:
werksberg wrote:

Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:
werksberg wrote:

Bob Dylan once told me, "Don't be a name dropper" Laughing
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad Spanish almost got me in hot water one time when I drove my Combi into a small very non touristy Mexican town. When asked what we were doing there I responded that we were turistas, which they heard as terrorista. Couldn't figure out why they became so unfriendly and agitated, they seemed about to drag us out of the car. My daughter after several minutes figured out what they were actually hearing.
redwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've called my dad's blue and white '74 bus the terrorist bus for years. It doesn't have a sunroof but it does have round driving lights on the front bumper.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the good old days. I heard that bus got totaled somewhere in Colorado.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if anyone ever called collin kellog a terrorist in his old blue and white bus?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: