Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance / Hagerty warning
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Insurance / Hagerty warning Reply with quote

FYI to all Thesamba members who are concerned about car insurance. Just had a conversation with Hagerty. In spite of what they may tell you on the phone, they will not cover a car that is used for "vacation" use. That means, and they were adamant about this, if the bus is used say on a day long "vacation" trip they won't pay the policy regardless of whether you stay in a hotel or camp. They consider a trip say out to the nearest park or say Route 66 or Route 1 that is not sponsored by a known car club to be an uninsured trip. That is true even if it is the only drive you take your car on during the whole year. If you have Hagerty and you drive your bus anywhere except to shows or genuine club events you are pretty much on your own without insurance. They will take your money and tell you that you are insured but you are not. I asked for written clarification on their policies and this is what they provided. Even if you had a claim in the past under these conditions you were lucky if you got paid. This is not a gee officer I was only 5 miles over the speed limit can I fudge it. They were adamant that they will not pay on claims anymore that are not 100% true collector use, club events, shows and sitting in the garage. Don't even bother calling them and if you use them for anything other than collector insurance better get on the phone and start looking for new insurance.

They feel that a fiifteen minute Sunday drive is pleasure use but a trip up to the National Park is vacation use and the policy will not cover "vacation use." There was no way around it with them.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Collector's Insurance has the same policy. I'm sure this is how they get away with such low premiums.

yuthi'so'coro
RussellK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with a rep at Grundy and thats pretty much what he told me too.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us that actually use our buses pay for real insurance. Wink
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And "real" insurance isn't really that expensive. And I can drive anywhere fully insured.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
And "real" insurance isn't really that expensive. And I can drive anywhere fully insured.

Haven't lived in OB since the '70s, but still in SoCal. I'd sure like to hear which insurance co. "isn't really that expensive" for a regularly-used bus.

TIA
68 Westy
(+ others)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:

That is a laugh. USAA said they would pay maybe $1500 on a 35 year old car that was insured regularly. They referred me to Progressive who has a "stated" regular policy. Since I held a California Casualty license at one time I asked the right questions and guess what, Progressive has a little clause in their policy (stated OR lessor of ACV) which their person said, yes - that means we would pay almost nothing on a 35 year old car even if it was restored the day before by a well known collector - don't buy from us if you want to get what that bus is worth. So I then called Hagerty and baciscally they are looking for trailer and garage queens that might go on one club event a year or to shows (BTW, some have clauses you can't walk away from them at a show). So we are still looking for a REAL stated/agreed policy like you suggest we get. It isn't insurance if it says in fine print "we will pay you when and what we feel like but please send us the premium every year."
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
ditto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
EZ Gruv wrote:
ditto.

I repeat - that is a laugh and you may be very smug but stupid too. You are driving a 35 - 40 year old car. Unless you have an AGREED VALUE policy you have nothing other than liability insurance but if your bus is a dog and you don't care if it is totaled then that is Ok. If you do have a full coverage AGREED VALUE policy please post the name of the insurance carrier who offers it.

To figure what most regular policies will pay, take what it will cost you to replace your bus and divide it in half. That is about what you will get.

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAA payed me $3500 when I did this in 2002:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is interesting about Progressive! The rep told me to get it appraised and they'd pay that much if it got wrecked. Never told about the little escape clause!

SGKent wrote:
EZ Gruv wrote:

That is a laugh. USAA said they would pay maybe $1500 on a 35 year old car that was insured regularly. They referred me to Progressive who has a "stated" regular policy. Since I held a California Casualty license at one time I asked the right questions and guess what, Progressive has a little clause in their policy (stated OR lessor of ACV) which their person said, yes - that means we would pay almost nothing on a 35 year old car even if it was restored the day before by a well known collector - don't buy from us if you want to get what that bus is worth. So I then called Hagerty and baciscally they are looking for trailer and garage queens that might go on one club event a year or to shows (BTW, some have clauses you can't walk away from them at a show). So we are still looking for a REAL stated/agreed policy like you suggest we get. It isn't insurance if it says in fine print "we will pay you when and what we feel like but please send us the premium every year."

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadnotmusic wrote:
USAA payed me $3500 when I did this in 2002:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yes $3500 for a bus worth $12,500. That is a good deal for USAA. We are fighting right now on a 1995 Acura. A guy hit me while he was shaving in the rear view mirror. Their offer is about 50% of what it will cost me to replace the car. I am tired of this insurance company crap of promising and not delivering. You should have gotten either the bus fully repaired or $12,500 for that bus minimum.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
Wow that is interesting about Progressive! The rep told me to get it appraised and they'd pay that much if it got wrecked. Never told about the little escape clause!

Note - their appraiser sets the value. Then if he differs with your apraiser's value you can hire an attorney but you can't sue them, YOU have to pay for your attorney's time and a 3rd party arbitrator who decides which value to accept. The only way to make it work is if they AGREE to a value when you buy the policy. Any of us know what it costs to restore buses today. It ain't cheap and 50 cents on the dollar is crap. The Progressive rep at Progressive told me the other night off the record that they won't pay the higher "stated" amount on their policies unless their appraiser agrees and today Hagerty told me that anything beyond a short drive to keep the battery charged is uninsured unless it is a club event. American Modern said the same. The problem is the comparables they will use will reflect some guy posting to sell a bus on CL. A regular policy will assume that all the money you put into the bus was regular maintenance

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you find any stories on this site (or others) where Hagerty didn't pay out for an accident? Even at non-club events?

I haven't heard of any. The line they gave you may be true to the letter of your policy, and be strictly enforceable. But when an accident actually happens, they may still pay out. In essence, the language may be there to self select out people that are going to *massively* abuse the use terms of the policy.

Not that that gives you a leg to stand on legally, its just two more cents in the mix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet my friend here at work that I could get this thread all stirred up. He owes me $5. Cool
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
EZ Gruv wrote:
ditto.

We use ours nearly every weekend. American Family let us insure it with an RV policy since it is a camper... it's about $120/year for full coverage. No mileage limits, they expect you to vacation in it. I'd say that's pretty good for "real" insurance.
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am tired of this insurance company crap of promising and not delivering.

Car insurance, health insurance, homeowners insurance. Taking our money and telling us we're insured, only to find out when we need to collect that we're actually not covered like we thought we were. That's fraud, and it ain't right. Perfect examples of why we need regulation, and can't trust corporations to do what's right. They don't, and they won't.

They'll spend umpteen millions of dollars on advertising though. Telling us how great they are.

Buyer beware.

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sped372 wrote:
static wrote:
EZ Gruv wrote:
ditto.

We use ours nearly every weekend. American Family let us insure it with an RV policy since it is a camper... it's about $120/year for full coverage. No mileage limits, they expect you to vacation in it. I'd say that's pretty good for "real" insurance.

we almost bought camper insurance but I backed out when the guy read to me in the policy that it had to contain a working built-in shower, toilet, stove and refridge for the coverage to pay.

What I think some of you are missing is that things are different today than 2 or 3 years ago because of the recession. Some people wreck their nice cars because they are broke and it is easier than finding a buyer. Companies want to find ways out of spending money. From what the lady at Hagerty told me, those kinds of situations where someone was taking a kid to school and "charging" the battery won't cut it anymore. They don't want those drivers on their books anymore. Literally she said "if someone takes their 60's muscle car or whatever to the bed and breakfast at the beach and takes then a drive down the coast a few miles the next day we will turn that claim down because that is "vacation useage" which is excluded." We don't want anything except garaged or trailered collection cars anymore, a car used for ANYTHING else isn't the car we want to insure anymore regardless. I asked her "what does Haggerty do when someone takes their 1960 pristine corvette down to Route 66 and the Grand Canyon for a nostagic pleasure drive with their wife and spends one night along the way in a nice Hotel?" She said we turn the claim down and tell them they were using the car for a vacation which is daily use and as such it wasn't insured for that.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hit from behind while stopped at a stop light. The AH that hit me had travelers auto insurance. Their appraiser came out and looked at the damage and my estimates. They paid the bill for the repair which came in at over $3000. I did have to buy a new oil dip stick that they wouldn't cover. Here's some pics of the damage.

http://pictures.radom.org/v/vw/bessie/rearended/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: