Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan Shroud with Velocity Ring ( Factory Shroud)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Fan Shroud with Velocity Ring ( Factory Shroud) Reply with quote

I would like to find out if anyone out there is using the '75 thru '79 type 1 fan shroud that has the velocity ring on it. I have access to one and am considering using it. Application is a 1600, dual port, Kadrons, full-flow, and sump. Using a stock reground cam from Web Cams with HD single springs. Compression will be 7.75:1 ( 44cc chambers with .100" deck). Long block is a low budget Pic a Part engine I bought and refreshed and added bolt-ons from previous engine.

If nobody has any experience with this I am open to ideas on procedures to compare with the earlier dog house shroud. Engine will be equipped with Hoover bit, foam on the oil cooler, and the complete flaps assy minus the thermostat as I am not paying that much for one. Would like to decide this in a couple days as long block is together now waiting for its tin and accessories. Thanks in advance, Bill
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the testing was done by VW years ago and revisted by Jake Raby. You might as take advantage of their knowledge. I have that fuel injected shroud on my 2180. Just a suggestion, stick a CB performance 2231 or a 2332 it will gain very noticable bottom end torque, idle smooth with just a hint of exhaust note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two EFI engines with those shrouds full tin and thermostats, they both work well.
As far as I can tell there were at least two versions of FI shrouds,
early FI with venutri ring, large negative oil cooler scoop, doghouse style flap linkage and hover bit,
late FI with venturi ring, small peanut shaped oil cooler intake hole (offers more engine cooling, less air to the oil cooler, I have an external oil cooler/oilTstat anyways), simplified flap linkage (has only 1 bar, less linkage play), and no hover bit needed (it fits tight around the oil cooler)
IMO the late FI shroud is the best shroud for a big engine that wants to retain all the stock features like Tstat and heaterboxes.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you bother with HD springs on a stock cam?
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a doghouse shroud from a carb motor and added the venturi ring. I forgot who makes the ring, but I found it on the classifieds here and welded it on. I didn't do any before-after comparison though so I can't tell you what difference it makes.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrib wrote:
All the testing was done by VW years ago and revisted by Jake Raby. You might as take advantage of their knowledge.

Ditto. I just put one on my 2180 along with a T4 cooler and noticed a good drop in oil temps. (big current thread right now under "Type 4 Oil Cooler Comparison/Difference") VW wouldn't have used them for years unless there was a reason to.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=545355

is where I bought it, and it fit quite well. I'd suggest it on any performance engine.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the link and that is indeed a nice little venturi ring but the factory made it just enough to be cheap and do the job adequately as they had extra heat problems due to the emissions crap and lower compression. For us it would be nice if this repro company had extended it out further than the edge of the existing opening. Yep, it should work fine the way it is but could have been so much better for the $50

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: