Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Rocker Arms with Bugpack HD springs ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Stock Rocker Arms with Bugpack HD springs ? Reply with quote

I am finishing up a "very budget minded" long block. 1600 with stock cam/lifters reground by Web Cams. Couple upgrades are the Bugpack single springs, Scat courier style swivel adjusters, and have removed the spring washers on the rocker arms and shimed to .004-.010". MUST I use bolt together shafts or will I be reliable or be doomed? Running out of cash on this project so curious to see if anyone uses a similar combination or ideas on securing those clips. Would like to retain these rockerarms as I have hand grooved the shafts with a .010" wide, .010" deep groove (Hoover mod) and hand grooved the lifters between the rings. Being installed in a '71 Bus. Thanks in advance, Bill
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy over on the cal-look.com forum who is a autocross racer in Australia does the same as you-gets rid of the wavy washers and shims the side play using stock rockers. His engine sees 8k rpm and he has not had a problem. I think you should be ok with your set up.
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low buck trick: safety wire the open ends of the clip together so it can't slip off the shaft. Doesn't help if the clip breaks, but better than nothing...
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that guy in Austrailia is Greg Ward. Quite impressive to be turning those revs. I thought of safety wiring the clips but with the side play reduced to less than .010", the washer that touches has to large an OD. The area on the clip that the safety wire will be is right up against the shim and will reduce the side clearance. My son was looking at it and said "why don't we reverse the clips so as the opening is facing the valve cover?" So we installed a rocker arm onto the head w/out the pushrods and pushed on the clip and it will bottom on the head without completely falling out of the groove. I wonder when these clips come out, do they fall out laterally or fall out in direction they are pushed in? Hmmmm.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is Greg Ward-you may want to contact him. He is very helpful and willing to share his knowledge.

I am not sure this can be done to a shaft without machining, but ACE offers their shafts with snap rings on the ends like the old Sig Erson (page down to see them on this link):
http://www.aircooledengineering.com/products.htm
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions above. My only concern would be the occasional breaking of the stock rocker arms that I've heard about but never seen personally.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
A guy over on the cal-look.com forum who is a autocross racer in Australia does the same as you-gets rid of the wavy washers and shims the side play using stock rockers. His engine sees 8k rpm and he has not had a problem. I think you should be ok with your set up.

This is what most of the Formula Vee racers do. Even though they aren't running as heavy a valve spring, the DO wind them up around 6400 RPM's for a pretty long time.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: