Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 finger vs. diaphragm pressure plate
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Braun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: 3 finger vs. diaphragm pressure plate Reply with quote

Is there a difference, in terms of clutch engagement adjustment. Currently having a lot of trouble w/ 67 trans and 1600 combo w/ early TO and diaphragm w/ collar. Wondering if 3 finger might be better or have any advantages. TIA.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of issues are you having?

I am using a diaphram clutch+early t/o bearing with a 1600 and splitcase transmission and it works well.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider a diaphragm clutch to be a significant improvement when it comes to clutch engagement and petal effort over a 3 finger clutch.

Like StockNazi wrote what are your issues?
Rick Braun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After installing a newly rebuilt 67 swing axle and 1600 engine, I could not get the gears to engage w/ the engine running. Shifted easily into all gears when engine off. I have inspected everything under the SC many times, looking at the clutch cable/operation/Bowden tube, shift rod couplers, output trans shaft movement. Everything "looks" good. Have adjusted stop plate under shifter.

Finally, after many gradual clutch cable adjustments, I could shift all gears w/ engine running. Went for a short ride, instantly heard loud grinding, slipping clutch and could not get into 1st or 2nd. Called for a tow home. Pulled the engine expecting to find something torn up - but no. The only thing odd is brown dust on the TO bearing (which spins easily) and the pressure plate. Fly looks glazed.

Pretty much at a loss. I worry that I may have chewed up the trans. Will drain tomorrow and look for metal chards. It seems like the clutch has always been the culprit, but I have done everything I can think of.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the needle bearings in the FW gland nut??
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the tread I was thinking of. From what I hear you are not getting enough clutch release travel. Besides the thread my first thoughts are does your bowden tube have the proper bend and how much slop is in the transmission/ release shaft?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3428306#3428306
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the pressure plate new? If not that would be my first item to replace, and go with a diaphragm type. The pedal pressure is typically less, for the same clamping force.
Rick Braun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New info. I removed the gland nut to check the roller bearings. All looks OK but I'm not sure what to look for. Checked the PP collar (that meets with the TO) and it is not level, so new PP is probably needed. I have the old trans here to compare with and after looking at the clutch arm, I noted that it is at least 3/8" closer to the bell housing than the one currently installed on the new trans. When the trans rebuilder did the trans, I asked him to install a new kit , including arm, bearings, fork shaft.) Now I'm wondering if he might have installed the arm too much forward. This would definitely affect the adjustment of the clutch, a problem that I have been struggling with.

Is the position of the arm adjustable with the splines (that engage the fork shaft) or is there only one way to assemble. If it is adjustable, I think I need to move it a few teeth rearward to give me better control over the TO.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the release arm cross shaft and bushings into a transmission that I'm building. The arm only fit the cross shaft one way, at least with the parts I had on hand. There are a few different arms, depending on what they were originally sourced from. Some are bent, and some are different lengths, but I doubt that would be your problem. Several times I've used a longer arm to help get better leverage (less pedal effort) when using a HD pressure plate, and had no problems as you're describing. The fingers not sitting level with each other indicates a broken pressure plate spring or pivot, so get a new plate, one with the collar for the early throw out bearing. If the rollers in the gland nut feel like they roll smoothly, give them a wipe of high temp grease. Clean the clutch splines, and use a little grease there too. If that doesn't do it I'd start to question the transmission rebuild, though many of the things that can be done incorrectly will result in it jumping out of gear, not going into gear. Hope this helps..
SD
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Braun wrote:

The only thing odd is brown dust on the TO bearing (which spins easily) and the pressure plate.

Replace the throw out bearing.
IME, the reddish brown dust is a sign of a bad TO bearing
Rick Braun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New PP, disk, TO bearing and gland nut have been ordered. Will make sure to lube all bearings. I'm still wondering about the clutch arm. The old (previous trans) and the new trans both have 73mm arms, but the new one sits farther from the bell housing (return spring tension only) - almost 1/2 in. Still wonder if the new fork shaft was corrected connected to the arm. Any written info on this or personal experience? Couldn't find anything in the Bentley.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: