Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Jakefulton - that looks good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

jakefulton wrote:
I am a 19 year old college student. Here's my 1970 Black Beetle.

I was a 19-year-old college student when I got my 1970 as well (in 1972); I still have it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jakefulton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Jakefulton - that looks good!

Haha thanks! Some cleaning and finding the right angles really worked some magic.

Jake
jakefulton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
jakefulton wrote:
I am a 19 year old college student. Here's my 1970 Black Beetle.

I was a 19-year-old college student when I got my 1970 as well (in 1972); I still have it.

It looks beautiful! Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have repainted mine so I could've kept the classic feel to it.
Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Just got my 70 1300 back on the road and legal again. I took her off the road in January 2001 to repair a few little holes in the underside of the heater channels and it turned into a body off resto, engine rebuild and a full repaint inside and out.
She should really have been scrapped she was so bad but as i've owned her since 1996 I was a bit too attached to say goodbye.

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Dang, Zebedee, she looks mighty nice! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
Dang, Zebedee, she looks mighty nice! Cool

Thanks. Very Happy
volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Well I joined the 1970 club! I picked up this bug a couple of months ago with a leaky master cylinder and a Really Bad hesitation and flat spot on the dual port 1600.I rebuilt the braking system and stops on a quarter now. I tried a lot of different things with the flat spot, static timed,advance the timing, retard the timing, carb adjustments,carb clean out, accelerator pump adjustments. It had a clone 034 distributor and 34 pict 3 carb on it so it was a good match. The hesitation got a little better when the engine warmed up so I thought maybe a vacuum leak somewhere but i couldn't find it with propane gas or starter fluid.

Reading on here all of the long term dual port flat spot hesitation help posts on here made me a little nervous that I was in for a long fight trying to get rid of it. Before I took the engine out to maybe reseal the intake base at the heads or some other thing.I wanted to see if it was carb/dist or something further engine related.

I had a stock distributor from a 68 that I had rebuilt as a spare and a rebuilt 30 pict-1 so I ordered one of those 34 intake to 30 intake adapter to fit it on. I bolted the stuff on timed and tuned and BAM flat spot/ violently shaking is gone! Crazy how its gone now, who ever first though of creating that adaptor deserves an award. I prefer the 30 pict-1 carbs for its super easy one screw tuning so i'll be keeping this setup.
I love the diamond blue paint, Its not the best paint job but hey its still got some shine to it.

I had bought these a couple of years ago for if I ever owned a 1970 Very Happy I also have a 1969 license plate frame because my favorite year beetles are 1968-1970 (I love late model beetles but never liked the look of the vents behind the rear side windows)

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Here is the current state of my ‘70.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

I've owned my 1970 since 1972. Can anyone beat that ????

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

^^^^^ I have only owned my 70 for 7 years, so ya, not even close to you haha. But white is the best color!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

I bought my '70 in 1962 Wink
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I bought my '70 in 1962 Wink

I know Pennsylvanians are better in math than that, I'm from Pittsburgh !!!

My VW's 50th birthday

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Mighty nice bug, Volkz! Coming along well there, Double-Bouble!
Though I've owned my two over a decade I'm still not even close, Cusser!
Love that pinstriping and all on your bug though! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I know Pennsylvanians are better in math than that, I'm from Pittsburgh !!!

Hmm, bad math could explain my ongoing timing problem. So there's a difference between positive and negative numbers then? Wink
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neatbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Here's my backdated '70, 1835cc, fully mapable ECU, freeway flier box plus some other goodies. Apparently it's good for around 120Bhp and is my first 'hot' VW, i'm loving it so far!

Wngnutmv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

My recent purchase. Already in love with this little beast!
cstreck Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

I’m fairly new to The Samba and just found this page. Saw Cussler’s post about possibly owning his the longest. So, here is my entry for longest owned 1970 Bug.

This is my 1970 VW purchased 30 May 1970. Base price was $1920, undercoating was $24.95, the vent shades $8.95 and the AM radio $69.95. With taxes it cost $2080. I taught my wife to drive a stick shift with it and we put 30K miles on it the first year we had it. When my kids were old enough they learned to drive it. Sadly, it’s been through multiple accidents, but survived them all. More sadly, it’s suffered through my feeble attempts to restore it. Since joining The Samba I have learned a lot about fixing issues. People have been very helpful with some of my repairs and I’ve located a horn and some fresh air vents here. This is a GREAT site. I’m thankful for everyone’s help, and will be needing much more in the near future.

petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

neatbeard wrote:
Here's my backdated '70, 1835cc, fully mapable ECU, freeway flier box plus some other goodies. Apparently it's good for around 120Bhp and is my first 'hot' VW, i'm loving it so far!

Looks good, how did you "backdate" it, did you change all 4 fenders plus front and rear aprons?
Wartown81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

The Blue Falcon has sat for many years and has come into my life, so I'm bringing it back to life. It'll be getting a 2" beam, spindles, etc. Gonna be a tight ride. Check out those home made floors. Looks like it'll buff out nice. More to come.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 26

Jump to: