Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

This thread may go on forever. Do other years get their own thread too? Anyway, here is my 1970 Convertible. Owned since 2003. Wanted a convertible but not a super beetle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

For the record, here's my wife's '70 as it's being driven today.

Madworks 1980 Vanagon Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672496&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Huabtais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Here's my guy, 1970 std Beetle. Been working on him since I got him last Feb. as a Valentines gift from my wife. Was my daily driver through the summer and currently having the engine rebuilt with a little more zip. Should be done by spring.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

What are the "Firefly" badges all about?

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Here's my 1970; I've had it since Nov. 1972, my "newest" vehicle ever, at 2 years (no, the VW was 2, I was 19 then). Only has about 260K on it though. I wonder if I've owned a 1970 longer than anyone else here ????

Pinstripes (tape) and Formula Vee decal were on it when I bought it.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

so this is the 70 ive been rocking for the past few months
her name is Elizabeth Bathory, and i got a pretty sweet deal, 3,000!
im completely new to VW and working on cars in general...so its been a massive learning experience but i am really determined to learn.
so sorry in advanced for any future dumb questions...i try to read the books and search the forums before i ask though

and before i get any crap i know to re-route the fuel filter. I appear to be getting a leak from the main seal, so i will be doing these things as well as go through the ratwell list of things to do when i pull the motor.

also I want to get it back to more stock so at the Pomona swap meet I will be looking for a stock distributor, and possibly a german carb.

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
Skootnasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

My 1970 Auto Stick taken yesterday after playing in the snow.

Skoot
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

gingergypsy wrote:
her name is Elizabeth Bathory

I've heard of folks naming their VWs, but never ran across one with a last name before !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
gingergypsy wrote:

I've heard of folks naming their VWs, but never ran across one with a last name before !

well i only really refer to her as Elizabeth, but i decided on her name because of the bloodish red color. so i named her after the most murderous woman in history Smile hahaha (quite morbid i know, but i promise im a normal person)

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
Huabtais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:

Dan

Just a little personalization flair. They're replica prop maker plaques from the spaceship in the Firefly series. My bugs my spaceship I guess.
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Huabtais wrote:
Danpa wrote:

Dan

Just a little personalization flair. They're replica prop maker plaques from the spaceship in the Firefly series. My bugs my spaceship I guess.

Individuality... I like it.

Previous: 1973 SB Autostick, 1977 Vert
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
gingergypsy wrote:

I don't get naming an inanimate object at all, least of all last names! As close as I get are Blue Bug and Marina Bug.

Gingergypsy - $3k for that???? Holy crap, if it's all as good as the couple of pictures you posted, that might be the steal of the century!! Drool

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I don't get naming an inanimate object at all

I don't name cars either. I refer to them as the "67" or the "70". As they say, "different strokes for different folks".. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Gingergypsy - $3k for that???? Holy crap, if it's all as good as the couple of pictures you posted, that might be the steal of the century!! Drool

thank you. but its not perfect. some bondo on the driver door, rust in gutters that i just did a temporary fix on (chipped it off, used duplicolor rust fix, then painted over)..one bubble unfortunately turned into a tiny hole, maybe like half an inch or less. im trying to find a friend who will fix it for a six pack or something. lots of brazilian stuff. regardless im very happy, and still think it was a great deal.

in terms of the names...eh. its just for fun i guess. Cool

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Now I have to google Elizabeth Bathory Shocked .

Gypsy, contact Volkzbitz for a nice German Solex carburetor. They don't come any better.

And I call my bug "the bug". It's the only one I have, so the name presents no confusion. If I were like Vamram, and had two bugs, I'd have to go ahead and colorize them, I guess. But I don't think I can handle more than one.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Now I have to google Elizabeth Bathory Shocked .

Gypsy, contact Volkzbitz for a nice German Solex carburetor. They don't come any better.

Tim

would it be a bad idea to buy one at pomona and ask my friends dad to rebuild it for me? he used to work in a VW shop for a long time (but hates VWs now hahaha) and will do any work i ask him for like 20-40 bucks. i dont like to go to him because he is a horrible teacher. but for things out of my reach he is the go to guy

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Actually, we do have a "named" vehicle.

In 2004 we bought a used 1998 Frontier for the kids to learn to drive stick with, and to use, just called that "The Frontier". Well by 2012 the kids had their own vehicles, and "The Frontier" was returned to us. But in late 2011 I bought a 2004 Frontier as a future replacement for my '88 Mazda truck, so that was called "Berea's truck" as its previous owner was co-worker Berea.
mjtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: My 70 Reply with quote

My 1970 Beetle. Stock except converted to dual-port with a 34-pict. My second Beetle.

Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

We bought mine this past summer for a daily driver that needs tinkering - my favorite kind Shocked . Used it daily once we put new rubber on it, now put up for winter. (Where this car is sitting, there is now 3 feet of snow.) Currently up on stands to pull the tranny for rebuild, pops out of first on a regular basis, and its not the clutch. Q: I notice many of your '70s have the 72 and later four columns of vents on the deck lid instead of the two. Mine has the four columns from the PO, but I'm curious if there was a cooling problem with the two column deck lids? I imagine increasing the vents within two years was done for a reason. I'm not a purist, but I would prefer to have the original type deck lid, which I bet is hard to find since they were used for only two years. But if four is better, I'll stick with it.

jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Re the vents: if you have the single port engine as was the build in '70, the two rows of vents were seen as adequate even though it's a 1600 cc. When they went to a dual port engine also 1600cc I guess they thought it needed more cooling, so the additional vents were added. If the '70 received a dual port transplant later, the PO may have gone to a 4 vent system for additional cooling. My original SP engine has just the two rows of vents in addition to the rain tray and doesn't have any cooling problems.
Also, I don't normally name my cars, but my '70 is named Elsie as a tribute to the first owner whose name we found out was Elsie.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 26

Jump to: