Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

More patina than mine !!! Mine's Arizona VW.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
David23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

PorschePunx wrote:
Well, I went and did it.. raised spindles, re-indexed torsions and some take off Jeep tires and here we are!.

I love it !! how many notches in rear ? not to stiff ? BEFORE:

AFTER:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wartown81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Yours has aged well. Blue Falcon has sat in the SoCal desert for a long time. I think the tag sticker was sometime in the 80's. I'll have to verify.
dubman4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Hers my 70 Convertible.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Hey - I've had my 1970 for 48.5 years. Anyone with a 1970 exceed that ?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
David23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: pass. side mirror install, who did it and how Reply with quote

I am really wanting a pass. side mirror, in another forum, people said they were worthless why is that ? I want one, I NEED one, how do you install them, anybody have any input here ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Do a Search here, multiple posts. Basically a securing nut goes on from the inside. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752258

My 1971 Convertible came with a RH mirror, and I use it. My 1970 does not have one, guess I'm used to turning my head around (even on my vehicles that have RH mirrors).
Kennys72bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Hello to all "70" bug owners!! It's like been a year since anyone has updated their posts here? I wonder what happened to those bugs that posted 10 years ago? Still got them? I'm going on two years since I bought mine. Please let us all know how everyone is doing?? Thanks Kenny Chico,Ca....Yes my site says Kennys72bug, but I sold that one and believe it was lost in the Paradise fire?? Here is mine !! 1600 Sp motor,
eeastonwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Hmmm, glad I found this thread. But 24 pages? Dang! That’s a lot of 70 beetles. I have a 70 convertible I bought back in 1994. Paid $400 for it; the guy who sold it to me said it belonged to a friend who was getting a divorce, and to sell it for what he thought it was worth. As the guy who was selling it was a fan of British sport cars, he didn’t think it was worth very much, so bank error in my favor, as the game cards say. It became part of my vw fleet - I had up to 12 at one point [they just came to me, including a free ‘67 westie and a $50 ‘67 singlecab], but I really loved this little red vert. Fast forward, and now I’m down to just this and a ‘64 ghia coupe, and am restoring them both, beginning with the 70. Over the years, I stashed away many parts, including sheet metal from a 57 oval ragtop [i’d had 2+], so I’m putting the older style fenders and decklids on the convertible. I also have restored and upholstered ‘55 seats, and an oval era steering wheel is refinished and waiting to go in.
So, the purists out there can have at it with me, but I’m totally digging this. I just got a new iPad, so I don’t have photos here yet to share, but I will.
But while I’m at it, I DO have a problem with the engine removal, but I’ll create a new post right now to cover that. Thanks, folks!
eeastonwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: HELP!!!! [Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread] Reply with quote

I am in the midst of restoring my ‘70 convertible, and am TRYING to remove the engine, a 1500 singleport, stock and original as the day is cold [at least for today]. I have everything disconnected, and all bolts and nuts are removed, the car is up on stands, my jack is under it with a 2x10 balanced atop it and a four wheeled moving cart under that to assist moving it around once it IS removed,

BUT [there’s always a big but] …

For the life of me, I cannot get the darned thing to come off on the driver side. That darned bolt by the starter is the hang-up. I have yanked, jerked, pushed & pulled, jacked up and released, pryed and wiggled, but all to no avail.
I have cut off the rear apron, since I am replacing it with a NOS to match the oval rear decklid, so it will be a breeze, IF ONLY…

Any helpful suggestions? Thanks!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! [Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread] Reply with quote

eeastonwest wrote:
I am in the midst of restoring my ‘70 convertible, and am TRYING to remove the engine, a 1500 singleport, stock and original as the day is cold

Actually - the 1970 engine would be a 1600cc single port.

eeastonwest wrote:
For the life of me, I cannot get the darned thing to come off on the driver side. That darned bolt by the starter is the hang-up. I have yanked, jerked, pushed & pulled, jacked up and released, pryed and wiggled, but all to no avail.

Hmmmm - the starter bolt is on the RIGHT/passenger side of the engine !!!!

Do you mean the upper bolt on the DRIVER side? Did you remove the nut and pull out the bolt to the front? Or do you really have a LATER VW engine case and that has a long threaded BOLT securing the engine on the upper left? What's the engine code, and supply some good photos of the engine compartment.

Besides the 4 engine mounts, there's electrical, fuel line, accelerator cable, heater cables, heater hoses that must be disconnected/moved out of the way. Did you remove the rear tin? Generator pulley and belt? Fan shroud air hoses?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! [Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread] Reply with quote

eeastonwest wrote:
I am in the midst of restoring my ‘70 convertible, and am TRYING to remove the engine, a 1500 singleport, stock and original as the day is cold

eeastonwest wrote:

Do you mean the upper bolt on the DRIVER side? Did you remove the nut and pull out the bolt to the front? Or do you really have a LATER VW engine case and that has a long threaded BOLT securing the engine on the upper left? What's the engine code, and supply some good photos of the engine compartment.

Besides the 4 engine mounts, there's electrical, fuel line, accelerator cable, heater cables, heater hoses that must be disconnected/moved out of the way. Did you remove the rear tin? Generator pulley and belt? Fan shroud air hoses?

Pictures, or it didn't happen. Well, in your situation, we know it didn't happen, maybe we can get you there.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! [Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread] Reply with quote

eeastonwest wrote:

eeastonwest wrote:

eeastonwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: HELP! Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

hey, cusser, thanks. it IS a 1600; my 70 ghia is a 1500. i’ve tried to post a photo, but the process has changed since the last time i posted a photo, so bear with me. i’ll also get a pic of the current situation, too.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

eeastonwest wrote:
hey, cusser, thanks. it IS a 1600; my 70 ghia is a 1500. [/img]

Yes, that 1970 B6 engine is a 1970 engine, likely does not have a threaded boss on the upper left side of the case unless someone added that, like if the B6 engine was made into a doghouse cooling engine.

As to why the engine won't come out, double-check what I posted earlier, or maybe stuck on the transmission shaft somehow???

Unfortunately, I'm 1500 miles from Des Moines (but was there once) so I can't come over to help....
eeastonwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

cusser, what does “dual relief” mean, in reference to this engine? i just wrote down everything from whatever site gave me this info, and i didn’t check it out at the time. thanks!
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

My og paint 70 sunroof.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

eeastonwest wrote:
cusser, what does “dual relief” mean, in reference to this engine? i just wrote down everything from whatever site gave me this info, and i didn’t check it out at the time. thanks!

Dual relief means that there are two oil relief plugs under the engine (typically plugs with slotted heads), driver side; Beetle engines before 1970 only had one.
There's a little spring and a piston inside each.

So dual relief is a good thing !
eeastonwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: HELP!! (Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread) Reply with quote

here are photos of the offending 1600 singleport. since there are now photos, it HAS happened! Very Happy
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

That should be a D headed bolt you need to pull out from the starter side. I guess the case must be hanging on the threads. Wiggle it out from the front after you square the case back up to the transmission.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: