Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY or pay someone for a pro swap?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbiedenbach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way thummper. The story you tell does not add up. This guy has been doing this conversion since November 09' but "he still needed an airbox." That would be the Focus airbox that are a dime a dozen at the local junk yard? If he has no airbox what about the MAF?

I am finishing up a 2010 Bostig conversion and have contacted them with, in retrospect, some really dumb questions. They have always been professional and extremely helpful and had me moving on in no time. This seems to be the general consensus of others who have done this conversion but since you are posting, how about pointing us to the "large community of anti bostiggers to boot"?

Dude, if you don't like the Zetec for the Vanagon that is your right. WBX, Subaru and Zetec all work for different people with different goals. But bashing the Bostig guys as selling a motor that doesn't fit is blatantly false.
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Vanaru stuff looks super nice. When I did my EJ22 I bought a used conversion kit and changed out some of the parts. I'm very happy with it. Ideally I would have the EJ25 but in Kalifornia it's probably a bit more difficult than the EJ22 for smog.

So I'd say you should go with an EJ25 with Vanaru parts and DIY.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
the website is the smoothest component
of the bostig illusion.

Thummper, something about your story doesn't add up. Maybe you're not a fan of the Zetec engine, or maybe your friend had a personal problem with the bostig guys?

I've had a hand in a Bostig conversion and it was exactly as advertised:

Go to junkyard and source your own parts? Check.
Engine conversion is easy, everything is planned and provided for? Check.
Bostig guys are friendly and helpful? Check.
High-clearance oil pan gives greater clearance than the stock pan shown in your photo? Check.

My experience has been the exact opposite of the second-hand story from your friend. I cannot account for this discrepancy, except to say that I trust my first-hand experience more than your second-hand story.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funagon wrote:

My experience has been the exact opposite of the second-hand story from your friend. I cannot account for this discrepancy, except to say that I trust my first-hand experience more than your second-hand story.

I fully agree that Jim and it's team are real pro.

They would have to chip in and explain themselves, if needed!

But customer can also be pretty hard and selfish.

There is always 2 side of the story.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So since I actually have a Bostig Group 7 2.0 Zetec conversion (and I did it all by myself) I figured I would chime in.
I'm not a mechanic by trade, I just started wrenching 3 years ago. I have minimal tools and don't have an engine hoist.
I got my conversion running in 1 week. I did it after work and throughout the weekend. I think the hardest part was taking out my old 1.9, some things just wouldn't budge from rust.
There were a few hiccups throughout the install, mostly during the initial running trial. During that I was on the phone tons with one of the guys over at Bostig. They were short and to the point about getting things done. I'm sure every once and a while they were frustrated when I couldn't explain myself out of a hole, BUT THEY WERE ALWAYS AVAILABLE. I think your friend is paranoid if he thought they were laughing at him. It's a bunch of friends running a small business together, you don't think they f around and have a good time at work?
Anyway, I've had nothing but positive results so far from my Zetec. Solid smooth operation for almost 10k miles. Just thought I would have something positive to say about Bostig.

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeattleDownhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot about Vanaru... With that kit, is it all there? Or will I end up having to source a few other parts? It apears to come with a motor in the 20-40,000 mile range as well from what I can tell. Right?

That seems like a rad option. What has the average install take with that setup? I would be working on it in the mornings and weekends really. I can realisticly see it taking about 2 or 3 weeks. I have to say that I'm quite mechanicly inclined and the more I do and figure out on the van, the more I feel like I can try and tackle. That being said, I'm very much a novice... I've never worked on my own car until my van.

I've gone back and forth with the Bostig, but like I mentioned, ground clearance is a problem. My wheelwells are sitting about 25 inches off the ground (24" up front). And if my calculations are correct, that would leave the motor right around or under 3" away from draging... Not stoked about that. For stock van height, rad. Just not with my van being so low.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeattleDownhill wrote:
I completely forgot about Vanaru... With that kit, is it all there? Or will I end up having to source a few other parts? It apears to come with a motor in the 20-40,000 mile range as well from what I can tell. Right?

That seems like a rad option. What has the average install take with that setup?

Call and talk to Hans. He's a really good guy and is very willing to answer your questions. He is also really busy, so you have to be patient with him if he needs to call you back. Hans and I have talked at length many times, so feel free to tell him that you live near me and that I am willing to provide some back up support if needed. However, I really don't think that you would have any serious trouble pulling off that conversion. It's more a matter of understanding the issues/procedures (which are all very well documented) than the actual wrench work.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans did a install in my westy two years ago, and i am very very satisfied..complete package w/ 14k motor, bell housing, ss exhaust, clutch, modified ecu,oil pan...it truly is turn key fly by wire...hans is a genius..my only recommend is dont shy away from doing tranny & cv's & new radiator@same time these 170-180hp 2.5's WILL tear apart a 20= yr stock tranny in short time....then you have to pull the motor again to adress, do it all together...but vanarus product is top of the line cleanest install ive ever seen
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeattleDownhill wrote:

That seems like a rad option. What has the average install take with that setup? I would be working on it in the mornings and weekends really. I can realisticly see it taking about 2 or 3 weeks. I have to say that I'm quite mechanicly inclined and the more I do and figure out on the van, the more I feel like I can try and tackle. That being said, I'm very much a novice... I've never worked on my own car until my van.

ME and Hans work hand in hand, the shop is now in NY state close the Canada border. I see him each week and talk to him each day (sadly) Smile
He does the US side and I do Canada

He his now training a guy (Nolan) from Seattle.... Nolan should be back in Sept. We are pretty busy and on top Hans lately design and built most of the conversion part including header and engine mount so those are time consuming. So like other says, be patient.

Here is what a turn key engine look like (Hans doesn't show enough picture on his web site:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More picture here:
http://www.benplace.com/sim2_subi1.htm

You could also talk to one of my customer in BC who did it himself, nice guy. Contact me in private if you want his e-mail.

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Subaru 2.2 in a Syncro, it has about 7" of ground clearance with 27x8.5x14 tires.

You could call Bostig and ask how much ground clearance you would have with your tires, and their shortened oil pan.

fwiw, the photo of thummpers thumb on the oil pan made me measure my hand in that position, 6.5" (his might be smaller, dont know)

so, if you could have a 2.5 from Vanaru for $9000 plus install, you end up with 160 horses

or you could have a bostig for $6000 plus install, 110 horses

or a Subaru H6 3.0 installed in Santa Barbara while you wait, for $9000.. 212 Horses..

lets see, road trip to santa barbara, pro install, or stay in seattle and get less horses, and you have to do the install yourself or pay someone.. for less horses..

I say road trip, more horses, less money
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
funagon wrote:

I fully agree that Jim and it's team are real pro.

They would have to chip in and explain themselves, if needed!

But customer can also be pretty hard and selfish.

There is always 2 side of the story.

Ben

Yah I really had to wonder about thumpers comments re: Bostig. And, had to wonder about the person actually doing the swap.

When I was doing my swap, I was scratching my head about what to do with the heat exchange box up front. (switched from air cooled to water cooled) Via the 'net, I ended up on the phone with one of the Bostig guys. He kindly offered me some advice on the heater core install (core conflicts with stock flaps) And this was for a 15* VW I4 swap! (ABA engine).

This was a few years ago and I bet they're much busier these days, but still. Helpful guys. Jim even took time to answer emails about exhaust systems etc. (on the Vanagon list)

Just sayin'. Smile

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Brad4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han from Vanaru did my Subaru 2.5 conversion. I drove to his shop and 3 weeks later drove it home. The work that he and Ben do is so professional.
When I took my van to get inspected in NY, the mechanic had no clue that it wasnt the factory engine.
I had Hans do the installation because I do not have the time to do it. It was worth it. I follow the Yahoo Subaru / Vanagon list to further understand the engine.
I just got back from an 8000 mi NY to California road trip with total confidence in the engine. The thing was amazing pulling up steep mountians without loosing any speed.
I know several people who have done a Bostig conversion. They all have done it them selves and are very happywith the results. They do not hang any lower than a stock engine or a Subaru. Brady and the gang at Bostig keep improving the kits. His Turbo version is very impressive.
Wether you do the conversion or pay someone, you will be very happy with the final results.
66 single cab
64 Herbie Beetle
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

Not intending to pick apart this thread, but it's actually 130hp. Smile I still find it much more satisfying than the original powerhouse. sound sporty as well. However, my next project will involve a 2.5 or 3.0 Subaru in a carat. I'm positive I will enjoy the increase to 175hp or >200hp but will be afraid the new power will explode the tranny. The Zetec seems to be on par with how the van's original engine should feel for such a large vehicle.

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:

Not intending to pick apart this thread, but it's actually 130hp. Smile I still find it much more satisfying than the original powerhouse. sound sporty as well. However, my next project will involve a 2.5 or 3.0 Subaru in a carat. I'm positive I will enjoy the increase to 175hp or >200hp but will be afraid the new power will explode the tranny. The Zetec seems to be on par with how the van's original engine should feel for such a large vehicle.

Like I said, i did over 40, no one as reported any transmission problem.

Ben
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's relieving to hear, Ben. Smile I'm sure the best thing to do is rehab the transmission before any conversion just to be safe.

To the OP, as you can see there is lots of debate on which conversion is best. Lots of pros and cons for all of them. But believe me, when you do get yours running, whichever you choose, your face will hurt from smiling so much after that first run. However, nothing compares to the feeling you get after completing it yourself. Cool

Dude, where's your van?
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
I have a Subaru 2.2 in a Syncro, it has about 7" of ground clearance with 27x8.5x14 tires.

You could call Bostig and ask how much ground clearance you would have with your tires, and their shortened oil pan.

fwiw, the photo of thummpers thumb on the oil pan made me measure my hand in that position, 6.5" (his might be smaller, dont know)

so, if you could have a 2.5 from Vanaru for $9000 plus install, you end up with 160 horses

or a Subaru H6 3.0 installed in Santa Barbara while you wait, for $9000.. 212 Horses..

lets see, road trip to santa barbara, pro install, or stay in seattle and get less horses, and you have to do the install yourself or pay someone.. for less horses..

I say road trip, more horses, less money

who in santa barbara is doing the H6 3.0 conversions for $9k?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to burley motorsports, he can get you in contact with eric. The price I was unaware of though.
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone on this thread, including the OP for starting it....
i have been following along and learning a lot.

I have a 1987 VW Westy with 73,000 original miles. I have had my share of problems though, since purchasing it about 6 years ago.

I had various issues with the cooling system, a hose here, a plug there, etc.

also had a major coolant leak, which resulted in replacing one of the heads.

Last year i redid all of the cooling lines, fuel lines, and got a new German transaxle (rebuilt) trans.

I am of the group of people who is a novice when it comes to car repairs. Most if not all work on my van has been done by a shop.

I have put in a great deal of money to this van, so probably would want well above market value if i were to sell it, and use the money to buy a van that has already been converted.

i had a new water pump put in last year, among other things.

Now, it seems that i may have some hydrocarbons in the coolant, which likely means an internal head gasket leak.

Van cafe (in santa cruz) did the work on the trans last year, and i remember since then i have had some slow idling issues but always just figured the van needed to warm up more. (ie. stalling at a stop light). Now, it is clear that has been an issue related to the gasket.
I contacted them to ask about the potential gasket issue, if it could have been caused from the trans replacement, etc. but didn't get a reply.

So, now the question that is looming for me is - do i spend upwards of $2000+ to reseal the gaskets internally on the stock engine.? or put that $2000 towards a conversion?
The sucky thing is i had one of the heads redone about 3-4yrs ago, but i am told there is no way to know which head is leaking internally and that both should be resealed.

So, samba - would you do a conversion in my case?

Everything else on the van is pretty solid - i just had a new power steering rack put in, and some work done on the brakes. I feel like with the amount i've already poured into this van, i'd like to keep it but i don't really know what my best move is at this point - ideally the most cost effective option in the long term is what i'm looking for

thanks in advance for the advice and sorry OP i hope you don't think i am jacking your thread.

i thought this was appropriate here because its more of a 'to convert or not to convert, that is the question'
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong state ianstone for having a conversion done... wrong state also to own a sick van engine wise.

Ben
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
wrong state ianstone for having a conversion done... wrong state also to own a sick van engine wise.

Ben

so then your .02 is to fix the gasket issue before it gets worse?

(actually, i don't know that it can get worse)

Also, if you don't think a conversion is a good option since i am in california,
what would you suggest?

a gowesty wbx?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: