Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Splice a ps
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flahernando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Splice a ps Reply with quote

The power steering pipe on my 85 is leaking right at the bend that goes under the van near the rear axle. I was wondering if this pipe can be spliced say with copper tubing and compression couplers.
I dont know what pressure is involved in the high side of the power steering but figure if I can use compression fittings then I could just do both lines and be done with it.
I cant afford a new set of pipes and this is not a restoration but it is a daily driver and I wouldnt mind having power steering. It has a brand new rack complete with ends and I was told the pump works but the lines leak.
Any ideas?
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you afford a compremise on safty?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=771885
flahernando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input but---
What safety. It is running and driving now but there in no fluid in the lines and the pump has no belt. It is basically manual steering now and isnt a problem. I just figured if I can get by I would like to hook up the power steering.
I have to get by on a small disability income so $225 is a bunch and would take better than a year to save up. Thats why I am wondering if the compression fittings will work. If they fail the worst that can happen is back to manual steering.
I didnt want to waste the fluid and parts-labor if this has been tried and will not work. I am looking for opinions or fact about the compression fittings.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flahernando wrote:
Thanks for the input but---
What safety. It is running and driving now but there in no fluid in the lines and the pump has no belt. It is basically manual steering now and isnt a problem. I just figured if I can get by I would like to hook up the power steering.
I have to get by on a small disability income so $225 is a bunch and would take better than a year to save up. Thats why I am wondering if the compression fittings will work. If they fail the worst that can happen is back to manual steering.
I didnt want to waste the fluid and parts-labor if this has been tried and will not work. I am looking for opinions or fact about the compression fittings.

Love our vendors! But in a pinch you can have those same lines built for just over $100. That still sounds like a stretch, but the piece of mind is awesome!

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
pinealservo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is no, plumbing-aisle fittings and copper pipe are not designed to work at the pressures in the PS system. Apparently the Vanagon pump produces especially high pressures.

Here's some info from another thread:
tencentlife wrote:
I was way low on my working pressure guess. It's three times as much with this system. The system pressure is supposed to test at 1668-1740psi (115-120 bar). See Bentley p.48.7.

The cheapest option that would work is probably to pull the lines from a junkyard vanagon. Second cheapest would be to have hoses custom-made at a hose shop.
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Safty??? how many motor cyclist's are killed every year by people driving around irresponcibly spewing oil on the roads? And not to metion if you need to swerve around that kid on the road with a limited and dangerous vehicle! That safty not just your own but everybobys!
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like was mentioned above a good used one from a pick and pull type yard if your able or take your tube one in to a hose maker. Out west there is Delta rubber or almost any Hydraulic repair shop or your local Napa auto that sells truck parts or even your Cat and John Deere dealers. Metric crimp fittings are very common now or can be ordered pretty quick. Just shop around for the best price on hose fittings and Labor to make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after all that handwringing, what are you dealing with? Could it be that it is the low-side line that is leaking? If so, you can use copper, rubber hose, probably bendy drinking straws, to tie it all together; it is under pretty low pressure at most, just make sure you maintain at least the same pipe size so as not to limit flow. The low side return pipe is the one that leads directly to the plastic PS reservoir, by the way.

If it's high side, and a hardline, best bet is to take it to a Parker hose shop or heavy equipment shop and have a replacement made. If you were in a pinch and can match sizes correctly, you could safely patch the hardline using compression fittings but only with steel line, rated for at least 2000psi (not a big deal for steel line), never with copper; copper would burst at these pressures. But for all that effort you would always be better off having a new hardline made in one piece.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flahernando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I didnt know the pressure was that high. The compression fittings are out of the question. I will have to make do with just manual for now, although I really cant tell the difference.
I know that not being connected will ruin the new rack but for now no options are available. Thanks much for the input. I appreciate it.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't hurt the rack at all. Drive on.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flahernando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. I am glad about that. Thanks
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< I will have to make do with just manual for now, although I really cant tell the difference.>>

Excuse me Arnold---

<<I know that not being connected will ruin the new rack but for now no options are available. Thanks much for the input. I appreciate it. >>

Double flare where it's broke & splice in a patch pipe.

Ditto on making a stop at any Parker Hose & Fitting dealer with the dripping old line in hand.
It won't dent your ADC check big time.
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been driving my 85 without the power steering for 10 years. Hate power steering! Much more stable on the highway without. Easier on tires too, as you are usually rolling before turning. No more grinding of rubber on pavement when turning the wheels of a stopped vehichle. Keep on rolling!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: