Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas overflow
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: gas overflow Reply with quote

OK, so I searched but couldn't find an answer. maybe i didn't read far enought but here we go.

Yesterday I filled the gas tank, not all the way up the neck, but when the pump stopped. Put cap on and hit the highway for the first time with my new engine. I finally have 500 miles on the new engine, so I was excited to hit the highway for the first time. Bus was awesome, was going 65 with no problems.

I get to work and it smells like gas. I open the gas door, and there is gas that has pooled in the filler area, and is now draining in the parking lot. I say to myself, "Ok maybe it was a little full."

I drive home at the end of my shift, and same thing. I'm thinking, "Why is this happening, I must have burned at least 2gal of gas driving today."

This is only happening on the highway. Before this, I've been doing city driving, doing 50mph max, and this has never happened before. So what is wrong? Gas cap isn't venting right? That's the only thing I can think of
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which bus are we discussing here? If it's the 71 the cap isn't vented the vapor system does that, if it's blocked or plumbed wrong there's no where for vapor pressure to escape so it can be forced out past the cap and take some gas with it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Which bus are we discussing here? If it's the 71 the cap isn't vented the vapor system does that, if it's blocked or plumbed wrong there's no where for vapor pressure to escape so it can be forced out past the cap and take some gas with it.

yeah it's the '71. vapor system are the lines in the vents that i can see?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lines in the vents? Confused , sure it's a 71? must be uber late production if it is.
Seen this? http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's for a 72+, a 70-71 has a loop over top of the tank and a single line coming out above the battery to connect to the charcoal canister.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so here are some pics of my gas cap. It doesn't seem like the right cap. It is really tight, and almost to hard to put on.

In this pic you can see gas that has pooled in the cap. I did a little bit of driving today, like 10 miles.

I checked in the vents, I do not have the vapor lines. I thought I did, but I don't. Maybe I was looking at another bus. But I checked the hose that goes from the charcoal canister to the body, and its all cracked and it is very lose. So i will replace this line, and that should fix it?
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i was browsing the classifieds like I always do when I'm bored, and I found this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=764310

do I have the wrong gas cap on my bus?
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this on the bus for a while:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...0224320089

I ended up giving it to Scott though and getting the locking Gas Cap from Bus Depot. The one in the link was a bitch to get on and off but it never leaked. Our busses are very different though.

OhH! I saw the same thing for sale down on John Fitch at CAP

Are you sure it's not just gas sloshing around during a left turn?
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my 68 a few years back. I noticed that it was only with a pretty full tank. Turned out that the gasket on the gas cap wasn't sealing shut. After a fill up and a left turn gas would swish up the filler neck and past the old gasket spilling into the filler area and slightly down the side of the bus, staining the paint. Replaced the gasket and never happened again. Hope that helps, as it's a cheap, quick fix. Good luck!

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:
I had the same problem on my 68 a few years back. I noticed that it was only with a pretty full tank. Turned out that the gasket on the gas cap wasn't sealing shut. After a fill up and a left turn gas would swish up the filler neck and past the old gasket spilling into the filler area and slightly down the side of the bus, staining the paint. Replaced the gasket and never happened again. Hope that helps, as it's a cheap, quick fix. Good luck!

where do I get said gasket?

I replaced the hose from the vapor line, to the charcoal canister, no more gas smell in engine compartment.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
djdh68dlux wrote:

where do I get said gasket?

I replaced the hose from the vapor line, to the charcoal canister, no more gas smell in engine compartment.

I think this is the one you need: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201557E

Or you can buy gasket material from most local auto parts stores and make your own if you're in a hurry.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replaced all my lines, and have a good gas cap, but just for no reason, I only ever put 30 or maybe 40 L in at a time, 40 only if i've pushed into the "R" zone for a while... usually end up with about 3/4 tank, hair more.

well, my reason is I don't want to overfill then have a hose let go, by some stroke of chance. i'll be the first to admit i don't pull my firewall every time i go for a ride Razz

I no longer wait for the pump to stop. BUT, my bus isnt a daily driver soooo... also, upside to fueling to a round liter/volume number rather than a dollar figure, is its super EZ to calc my mileage Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: