Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

READ ME (1973 Riviera Resto Project)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. You did a lot to further this bus. All that back breaking grubby rot cutting metal work can make the best of intentions crumble. I wouldn't of done it. Im glad to see that you accomplished what you did. Sorry you didn't get to experience the pay off.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Sad

At least it's going to someone who plans on finishing it.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero updates on the bus. I'm actually selling this project on the 15th. I simply don't have time to complete it anymore, and don't want it sitting around rotting.
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some time this weekend to show some love.
Passenger side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side

Driver side

Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't even messed with the engine as of yet. I was hoping to have the engine out already, but things have been going slower on the bus then I'd like. We're still hoping to have her running and on the road this summer.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it up! looking good.

did you ever figure out the engine you have?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort so far nice to see another bay being restored. Smile Very Happy
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really haven't been able to get anything done on this. I've had some parts on order with Bus Depot for 10 weeks now, and still no product.
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Heating help Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the box is actually called, but it's what I'm currently working on. I found this diagram, which shows me everything I'm currently missing.

Just pass #4, where the tube curves up and vents into the cargo area. Where can you find these parts?
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress this weekend, to bad my progress is so slow. I'm trying to tie up the loose ends on the cargo floor. Had to pull up the center section between the front seats due to rust. Who would of thought, rust on my bus. From my understanding this is, or in my case was a vent. After I cut up that section out, removed what was left of the tube that supplies the air. There was a metal elbow on the back of this box that the hose connected to, but that was it. I crawled under the bus and found another round metal duct with a cable controled gate in it. But where does this go, where do I tie in the air supply? I'll try to get some pictures up of what I'm talking about, but here is the progress I made on this section.
The center section is removed, and the passenger side of it is gone due to rust.

I capped of the drivers side.

Since the passengers side was completely gone. I had to build a box that fit into the opening that matched how the other side was. Without having a metal brake, that meant lots of cutting and welding.

Both sides in place, and the new lower section is welded in as well.

Another shot of it welded in.

The back welded on. I still need to cut a hole to supply the air, but I can do that at a later time.

Another shot of it.

I must say, this bus and this forum have thought me so much. I came into this project with no fabricating skiils, and no knowledge about VW's. Because of this forum, and all the great people on it. I still don't know much about VW's, but I do know a lot of body work. Thanks to all the help from everyone, and the support.
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuco wrote:
My suggestion is that you should use real car paint on this bus if you can. I think you've put too much work into it so far to do a cheap paint job.

Yeah, we do plan on getting good paint, and using cheap paint. On a down side to getting new part. Bus Depot has NOT come through once again. I seem to get email after email saying they do not have parts in stock. But, they can get them from one of their venders, for an extra shipping charge. Halfway tempted to cancel the entire order with them and go to someone else. The main thing is the front floor pan, but I've found it from Cip1, and for a little less money as well. We'll see what happens.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear that you are in the home stretch on the body work. Like I said before, I think you've done too much to back out now. Earlier in the thread you mentioned painting it with rustoleum, which I've done myself. My suggestion is that you should use real car paint on this bus if you can. I think you've put too much work into it so far to do a cheap paint job.

A decent paint job will be nothing compared to the work you've done already. Rustoleum is fine and it will protect the metal and everything but the durability is not in the same league as real car paint. Don't get me wrong, it is impressive for what it is. All in all though, a roll on job is actually more work than a spray job because of all the hours of wet sanding you'll have to do to get it flat. Since you have it apart, go ahead and do it right. If you want to make it simple you could do a single stage paint or maybe something like the hot rod flatz line, the flat paint will help hide imperfections.

Either way, great job on your bus and I'm looking forward to your futher progress.
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update, and pictures to come. I've been working hard on our Bus for the past couple weekends. The cargo floor is now completely installed, and primed. Man it does feel great to finally have a floor in the bus. We're now moving on the front of the bus, and what hopes to be the final stage of the "body" repair. Today I ordered the remaining parts, windshield repair panel, front floor pan, left & right front inner wheel arche repair panels, left & right front inner step, and left & right outter step. I seem to be getting back into wanting to work on the bus lately. After doing so much repair, wondering if it will ever get, wondering what the hell I've gotten into, and even thinking about walking away from this project. I can now see the end in sight, and will hopefully have her painted this winter. The wife wants it painted this fall, but I'm no miracle worker. I'll try to get some pictures up of the progress I've made.
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of the newest pcitures. All the top hats in, sanded, and frame is prepped.

Painted the top hats and frame.

First section of cargo floor going down. I've got a lot of holes to weld up.

It's coming along.

Next section going down.

It's finally starting to look like it should. Still have one section on the floor behind the drivers seat that needs to be taken care of.

Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some work over the past weekend, just been to lazy to upload the pictures. I was able to get the top-hats and frame in the cargo painted up before I started putting down the floor. I was also about the get the section of floor put in and started on the second. Things are starting to move along pretty quickly now, at least I hope so. I'll try to get some pictures up by the end of this weekend, with the progress from that as well.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those crossmembers you posted about last august are mislabeled. My 73 has the same crossmembers you have.

It's a long ways to get there, but when done you'll have an enjoyable machine. Im just now getting some miles under mine and I'll probobly never be finished with it. Im just glad to be out in it, making memories instead of bloody knuckles.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be uncovering Fairbank's this weekend to hopefully get a load of stuff done. We're about ready to pull the trigger on a new front floor pan, lower dog legs, steps, and a couple of wheel arch pieces from Europe. I'm hoping to get the last of the bondo done, and another section primed. As well as working on getting down the cargo floor.

I must say, I've learned so much about myself and my bus over the last couple years. I'm so grateful there are so many great people on here. You guys have been good motivation, and a valuable resource for my and many others. I've called on you for many things in the past, and I'm sure many things to come.
averr789
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Props for going in to the project without any experience. I know how tiring that is! Keep up the good work!
Studt's 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was able to get a little done today. I got the last of the top hats on the cargo floor put in. Hopefully I'll be able to get the cargo floor in within the next week. Also scored some free stuff about a month ago from a friend that was getting rid of some old VW stuff.
Manged to get a couple shocks and gas heater

Got this bucket full of goodies, VW emblem, head light bezels, ball joints, starter, and some others

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: