Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brendanklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

searched around the net and came across this image. might be the inspiration I was looking for! now to find material light and strong enough to do the job.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Restoring Oscar Blog
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read this thread a few times, and with a family of four, I really like the sound of the Mountainsmith 4x cubes within an outer holdall, as mentioned way back on page 1.
I've done some internet searching and unless anyone knows better, they're nigh on impossible to get in the UK. So what I'm asking is does anyone know of a UK source, or does anyone know of a good (read:cheap) source in the US who might ship some to me. And lastly before we jump and spend out on some sight unseen, does anyone have any pics of them in situ under the edge of the lower bad in a Westy, I believe I read somewhere that they stowed well there with the bed out, and it's one of the most attractive features of them to my mind. I wouldn't want to buy some and find that they don't fit where I want them to.
Thanks in advance.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beelzibus wrote:
Having read this thread a few times, and with a family of four, I really like the sound of the Mountainsmith 4x cubes within an outer holdall, as mentioned way back on page 1.
I've done some internet searching and unless anyone knows better, they're nigh on impossible to get in the UK. So what I'm asking is does anyone know of a UK source, or does anyone know of a good (read:cheap) source in the US who might ship some to me. And lastly before we jump and spend out on some sight unseen, does anyone have any pics of them in situ under the edge of the lower bad in a Westy, I believe I read somewhere that they stowed well there with the bed out, and it's one of the most attractive features of them to my mind. I wouldn't want to buy some and find that they don't fit where I want them to.
Thanks in advance.

I bought the 4 cube bag about two months ago and put it to use during our last camping trip to Yosemite. Family of four as well. They worked great, fit under the bed no problem. Maybe you can ask the online stores here if they will ship to UK.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

I bought the 4 cube bag about two months ago and put it to use during our last camping trip to Yosemite. Family of four as well. They worked great, fit under the bed no problem. Maybe you can ask the online stores here if they will ship to UK.

Thanks for the response, good to hear that you like the 4 cube bag, cheeky I know but I wonder if you'd be kind enough to take a pic of the set under the bed, it would be good to get a visual of how much space it takes up in use. It seems that Sierra Trading could ship me a set, I want to be really sure before committing to a purchase. Cheers Andy.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go - I stuffed one into "go" mode & popped it into a few places in our weekender.

There are three (3) reasons I love the mountainsmith cubes in the van:

1) - They stow perfectly under the bed without losing floorspace:

2) - They stow perfectly next to the cabinet on top of the full-width Weekender bed:

3) - They stow perfectly behind the rear bench seat without blocking the rear window (sorry, picture not requested).
3.5) BONUS - They top-load so they're easy to get in, wherever they are...

We use ours WITHOUT the big bag...easier to toss one or two around, and
we're not limited to the size/space configuration required by the 4-bagger.

Hope you can get these to your side of the pond - Happy Trails!
-----------------------------
EDIT: Similar product from p.2 of this thread - can you get IKEA in the UK?
canasync wrote:
...I found these things at Ikea called FLÖRT for $6.99 CAD they are sold as an office item for CD or magazine storage but they are very tough and hold up well, mine are over 2 years old and they are still like new, the material is very similar to the pack cubes...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>

Last edited by dhaavers on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% with those three reasons in my Westy. About the third one, it is also very convenient to reach back from the rear bench seat and pull that one piece of clothing or whatever else you need from one of the cubes instead of having to dig into a big duffel bag for a while until you find what you are looking for. The color coding really helps organize the entire family.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Here ya go - I stuffed one into "go" mode & popped it into a few places in our weekender.

There are three (3) reasons I love the mountainsmith cubes in the van:

1) - They stow perfectly under the bed without losing floorspace:

2) - They stow perfectly next to the cabinet on top of the full-width Weekender bed:

3) - They stow perfectly behind the rear bench seat without blocking the rear window (sorry, picture not requested).

We use ours WITHOUT the big bag...easier to toss one or two around, and
we're not limited to the size/space configuration required by the 4-bagger.

Hope you can get these to your side of the pond - Happy Trails!
-----------------------------
EDIT: Similar product from p.2 of this thread - can you get IKEA in the UK?
canasync wrote:
...I found these things at Ikea called FLÖRT for $6.99 CAD they are sold as an office item for CD or magazine storage but they are very tough and hold up well, mine are over 2 years old and they are still like new, the material is very similar to the pack cubes...

Thank you very very much for taking the time to do this. Very much appreciated.
Ours is a full Westy, as opposed to a Weekender, I assume the bad sits at the same height once laid out? I see no reason why not.
I like the thought as Madspaniard says of one bag each, each in a different colour. No searching through a huge sports holdall for little Johnnys socks, just look in the blue cube (or whatever).
I have seen similar stuff to the link from Ikea, Ikea is no problem for us, I had considered these kind of things within cupboards, but not for main clothing storage which I want to keep accessible, but not in the way, or scattered all over the place.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - your mention of socks sparked another random thought which we've used for years:

Idea
Each person gets a separate stuff sack for socks & undies in their own cube.

SOOO much easier for a kid to find the stuff sack, rather than coming up with
just the loose left sock from three different pairs, spawning yelps of "Daddy help!"...

...effectively staving off one more potential interruption of quality adult beverage time. Cool

Eliminates frustration for everyone & fosters a sense of accomplishment & self-worth.
(And isn't that what it's all about...???)
In other words: "Find it yourself, kid." Wink

childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where some of my cubes go. I have two more that you can't see in this photo (red and yellow to diversify the colors!). One is between the jumpseat and passenger seat; the other is in the back by my pillows.

They're super useful.

On a side-note, my new 50 qt ARB is in the pic. Like others told me, once you have it it's hard to imagine going back to ice and a cooler.

**edit: That one cube that's obstructing the speaker typically isn't there while I'm driving.. but I do end up having to block the other one. The solution is getting kick-ass speakers up front!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Mountainsmith cubes. It's like they were made for the Vanagon. It's a simple and effective way to force organization upon your children, with fun colors to boot!

I do keep the outer shell with us. On the road we occasionally stop at a hotel for the night, and it's easier to grab the whole big thing and lug it all into the room at once.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my milk crates qualify as a way to ruduce clutter. I keep four gallons of water in the
bottom crate and the top crate has cooking/cleaning stuff in it as well as some came can goods.

When I am at a campground the water crate will live outside and the misc.crate will go between
the seats as a potential stand for my Heater Buddy.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, how high can you safely stack the crates? Is 3 too high? assuming it is wedged in and not free to move about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Tim, how high can you safely stack the crates? Is 3 too high? assuming it is wedged in and not free to move about?

Three would work, you can bungee them together.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
....HARD GEAR (cook kit/camp stove/utensils, etc.) & FOOD
For longer trips we use a plastic drawer unit for easy access to a LOT of gear & all our food. This fits PERFECTLY between the bench seat & jump seat along the window wall:

Along the same lines but somewhat more stowable when you're in transit:

Today, at our local Canadian Walmart, I found this, for about $35.00. It seems well made and well-thought-out, and the price was right!

It folds down to this and I think will fit nicely up in the back of the poptop:

When you're sleeping, it'll fit sideways, filled with "whatever," in the front seats (or it would probably fit fairly well up in the cargo recess, as well!):

Each of its three shelves will hold 10 pounds, and the front zips closed or can be rolled up and held open with two nice bungees and toggles:

This new camping gear made with aluminum tubing, velcro, nylon and ingenuity is really great! I think this unit will be really useful for when you're camping for more than a night in the same place. I find that everything packs up nicely when you're starting off on your trip, but as you spend time in the campsite, more and more stuff gets pulled out of "deep storage," and it becomes a bit of a pain putting it all back where it belongs immediately, because people are sitting on the seat, and stuff gets put on top of the lockers, etc. etc. etc. I'm hoping a unit like this, for all the stuff that's been pulled out, will help a lot!

---
Kathy
85/88 Westy
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
FWIW: I'll stick with the drawers. They're always easy to open
(even on the road) and anything you "pull out" is just as easy
to put right back in.

It's the side cabinets the Weekender never had...

Wink

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: clutter Reply with quote

So I'm back after a few days away and have a question.

Does anyone have a great option for the back of the seat organizer? I have one but it seems kind of lame. If you have one that works well I'd love to see a pic.

BTW, I finally found the shoe solution. I removed the rear heater this past spring. Under the seat managed ALL footwear as well as the booster pack, kites, small empty backpack and a lantern. Very Happy

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: clutter Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
Does anyone have a great option for the back of the seat organizer? I have one but it seems kind of lame. If you have one that works well I'd love to see a pic.

don't know how great but it works for us....backpack (a simple one)----thread the shoulder straps around head rest posts and back/seat hinge.

stores a lot of stuff, back-up backpack for that impromptu hike.

Sorry no pictures right now.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: clutter Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
So I'm back after a few days away and have a question.

BTW, I finally found the shoe solution. I removed the rear heater this past spring. Under the seat managed ALL footwear as well as the booster pack, kites, small empty backpack and a lantern. Very Happy

Brian

Hey Brian. Hope you had a great vacation! Here's a shot of my GW organizer. I really like and depend on
it! I keep things that I would most likely misplace in it. As you can see it will hold alot of gear, axe, mallet, folding
shovel, tent stakes for the awning. Keychain clip for Mace!! I have a variety of sunscreens and lotion and
the red sissors are Lobster Sissors. Got to have those for the wife! Some of the other things in at are, clamps
for the awning, toothpicks, SD-cards, pens and pencils and a notebook. Hope this gives you an idea.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: clutter Reply with quote

Hey Tim, your back seat "unorganizer" looks just like mine! That's what I'm trying to improve on...no offence. We did have a good few days away. Made it to Brier Island for the first time. Amazing little place.

Thanks Vanis for the backpack idea. Simple yet effective.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim is one of those people that is great to camp next to. If you
forgot something he is sure to have it. I love the guy but man
does he pack a lot of stuff in that Westy. His Westy is his true
Mistress. I can see him kissing it good night like that guy on
the tv show with strange addictions that was filmed telling
his dad he was having sex with his car!
Good thing Tim has a great sense of humor...right Tim...

As Tim would say,"what the Westy wants the Westy gets..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: