Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wires on front turn signal bulb holders
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VR6 vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: wires on front turn signal bulb holders Reply with quote

I just got my new smoked front turn signals from Van Cafe. When I opened them up I discovered that they are wired different than the stock configuration.
There is 3 wires on each bulb holder, the brown is the ground I am thinking, how do I tell what the other 2 wires are for? I am thinking 1 wire powers the city light and 1 powers the turn signal. Any way to tell what one is what?
Both of my bulb holders were very corroded and neither one worked, so I couldn't just unplug wires to see what light went out.
speedtek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

middle one on both lights is the ground (rule of thumb on German cars..."if it's brown, tie it down"). On the other two, one is the running lights, one is the turn indicator. On mine the colors ran (from top to bottom)

Right side: Red stripe, brown, Green stripe

Left side: White stripe, brown, black (or grey, can't remember) stripe

If you get either of the two top or bottom wires reveresed, your van WILL explode....J/K Laughing
All that will happen is your turn indicator will blink real fast, just pull the light off and reverse the top and bottom wires on it. Cool
VR6 vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the brown as the ground, but the only thing I am getting is my light coming on all the time. I can't get it to blink.
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the bulb as a guide. connect the bulb to the socket with the running lights on. if the brighter filament is lit (as the running light) then you have it backwards, switch the two outside wires.

You can't go wrong this way. The bulb has two filaments, one brighter than the other. Check and switch if needed.
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an added thought I have seen light housings melt because the brighter filament (signal) was constantly lit as a running light.
speedtek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredn wrote:
As an added thought I have seen light housings melt because the brighter filament (signal) was constantly lit as a running light.

certainly could be a possibility, although he'd know as soon as he used the turn indicator as it will blink super fast like you have a bulb burned out. A quick removal and swap top and bottom wires is then in order (of course)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: