Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

portable propane grills
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
How is the heat output on it? I have had a few small portable LPG BBQs over the years and they seem to range from just hot enough to not really hot enough.

My magma grill has an excellent heat output, very wide range. Low works great for slow cooking and high for that fast sear. Smooth action knob too.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Weber Baby-Q (Q-100) and it performs better than any grille I've owned. The flame control is excellent on high and low, and the cast iron grille has excellent heat retention. I've been very happy with it. I also have a cast iron griddle that works very well when used on the grille. The problem I've had with a lot of the portable grilles is flame up when cooking on low like with chicken. Most don't cook on low heat very well. The Weber cooks on low with little flame up and very good heat control, but on high it will definitely broil a steak.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-386002-100-Portable-Gr...amp;sr=8-1
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the heat output on it? I have had a few small portable LPG BBQs over the years and they seem to range from just hot enough to not really hot enough.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what I was looking for. Thanks. I saw that picture a while ago and couldn't find it again. not cheap, but well worth it I guess, I was also looking at the holland companion
http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/prodID/2/index.htm
also not cheap, but it will last a long time. I have a regular size holland and love it, but it is not a burger kind of grill, it is more like a convection oven. I love it though. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
That is a nice set-up Cool

Which model do you have? I found one like yours on their website, but it was charcoal.

Here's the one I have. They have a little nicer one with a hinged lid which I really like. They are not cheap, but well worth it and will last several generations Very Happy
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Gas_Barbeque_2/Gas_005/A10-105/a10-105.html

The mount I used......
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Gas_Barbeque_2/Gas_005/A10-105/a10-105.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice set-up Cool

Which model do you have? I found one like yours on their website, but it was charcoal.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've admired Rhinoculips' set up for some time. Very slick, though I imagine it could be on the higher end cost wise.

Otherwise your average camp stove could work just fine. Coleman or the like.

Edit: Looks like he beat me to the Submit button by seconds. Very Happy
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Magma Grill and mounted on the rear passenger quarter panel. Stows under bench while in transit. Do a search, there are many other nice ones.

Click to view image

Last edited by Rhinoculips on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: portable propane grills Reply with quote

I like to BBQ. I have a cheapy propane bbq I got from a yard sale for a few bucks and the flame isn't consistent and always blows out. I am wondering who has a "nice" portable propane grill set up. I want to stay propane, so I can hook it up to the tank and not tote around charcoal. post some pics to if you have them. Nothing better than bbq'd food.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: