Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon 2.1 plastic coolant pipe hanger wire locations
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Vanagon 2.1 plastic coolant pipe hanger wire locations Reply with quote

I have the plastic cooling lines out of my new to me '91 GL and there were none of the original stainless wire hangers on the van. The tubes were sagging real low under the rear cross member. I bought some replacement hangers from a forum member (Thanks TK) but I am not sure where they were placed originally from the factory. Does anybody know where they were originally placed? I see the original holes on the rear cross member. Also is there a best way to mount the heater hoses that does not interfere with anything else under the van?

Thanks
John F
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coolant pipes are heavy, so the VW engineers must have calculated how many hangers were needed to keep the plastic lines securely in place. When I purchased some from Terry Kay he said there were supposed to be four. I didn't see that many spots with holes/slots on the underside. Is there a VW drawing somewhere that shows the correct mounting of the coolant pipes and routing of the heater hoses?

Thanks,
John
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sure my '89 had the original pipes and there were only 2 wire hangers, I believe at the last cross-member before either end. There was also a large wormscrew pipeclamp that went around both pipes and a hanger tab on the frame around the 1/2 way mark that keeps it pretty secure. When I replaced with stainless pipes I couldn't get the wire hangers back on as I probably didn't have them EXACTLY in the same position (looked the same but...). I reinforced with HD zip ties through holes in the cross-members and the pipes can't move now. The wire clips are in a labelled baggy for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures from this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20
And this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546700&start=20

This is the forward end: you can faintly see one of the wire clips attached to the above cross-member about 8" back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And again:

And again:

And the rear wire clip would go here see it on the front side of the cross-member):

And I think the hose clamp is just on the front side of the cross-member above the rear of the tank:

Last edited by geo_tonz on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea--the heater hose just runs along the coolant pipes with wire ties--
No problem---
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: