Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powerflex suspension bushings
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
handfore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of messing with grease I'd prefer a colorful orange or even a lime green Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Loogy and SeattleDownhill (and anyone else with these installed), what brand and type of grease did you use to install the bushings? How were these to install relative to OEM rubber replacements? Can the UCA and LCA bushings be done in a day? My van is my daily driver and can't afford to have it down for long. Thanks.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man,

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease!

Uppers and lowers can easily be done in a day.

The uppers require the grinding of the tack weld, then you can simply use a hammer to pound the old bush out. Make sure you support the control arm so it doesn't get bent. The new bushings can be pressed into place using a large vice and pieces of pipe or large sockets. I don't feel that tack welding the new inner shells is necessary if they are a nice tight fit into the control arm, but it's not going to hurt anything either.

The hardest part about doing the lowers is the removal of the old bushings. A piece of pipe (or large socket), some all-thread and some washers are about all you need to remove the old bushings. The new ones slip right into place, no press needed.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently replaced the lower control arm bushes, steering rack bushes and sway bar bushes with the Powerflex product.

I can recommend them. Good price, super easy installation and the front end is now nice and tight.

It did need a 4 wheel alignment after the work.

Mike
'82 Westy Diesel
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
Hey man,

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease!

yes, I made the mistake of using the grease that came with the bushings (my bad, didn't read the instructions recommending Bel-Ray) and my bushings lost most of the grease during my first day trip under the rain and on muddy offroads, noisy ride back home. Get Bel-Ray or similar waterproof grease.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease is your friend Exclamation

I have had excellent results throughout drivelines and suspensions with:
Bel-Ray
Swepco
RedLine
Lucas Oil Red & Tacky
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Grease is your friend Exclamation

I have had excellent results throughout drivelines and suspensions with:
Bel-Ray
Swepco
RedLine
Lucas Oil Red & Tacky

I have no personal experience with any of the others listed, but Redline CV2 is a great alternative to the Bel-Ray.

Also, we are working on being able to provide the proper grease packets with the Powerflex products in the near future. This will eliminate any guesswork.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any difference other than packaging between RedLine CV2 and Lucas Red and Tacky.....R&T is a few dollars cheaper.

Swepco is what I use for CVs, but have tried it on suspension in a pinch...all good thus far.

BelRay really repells water!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone who installed PowerFlex Rack bushings had the bolts loosen up ? I put mine in about 3-4 months ago and have noticed my steering getting vague. I looked under the truck today ,and 3 of the 4 bolts were loose and one was missing .
I just wonder if they are a little stiff and not taking the shock well. So I Tightened them up and will moniter it
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vwcrewman wrote:
Has anyone who installed PowerFlex Rack bushings had the bolts loosen up ? I put mine in about 3-4 months ago and have noticed my steering getting vague. I looked under the truck today ,and 3 of the 4 bolts were loose and one was missing .
I just wonder if they are a little stiff and not taking the shock well. So I Tightened them up and will moniter it

All mine have received fresh hardware, proper torque and Loctite on the threads of the fasteners.

The cornering of my vans is vastly improved over stock.
They have not loosened one bit.
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy syncro-nutz wrote:
Is there any plans on reporducing tie rod/drag link bushes?

Prototypes sat on my desk, arrived today.
Alsong with a load of other stuff I need to trial on a van.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
yes they are @ powerflex.
Burley has some black ones just for the lower arms.

paint them black Laughing

The different colours are for different "shore" ratings, red being the softest, the yellow, then purple and black being the hardest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickwerks wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
yes they are @ powerflex.
Burley has some black ones just for the lower arms.

paint them black Laughing

The different colours are for different "shore" ratings, red being the softest, the yellow, then purple and black being the hardest.

Thanks for posting this.
What you call shore rating I call durameter.
Yes, different levels of hardness are available.
I have been able to achieve many different feeling suspensions by using different hardness bushings in different locations.

The only black or hard pieces I have had good success with are the lower control arm bushings on lifted Syncros.

This is called "tuning".

If you have not seen the Brickwerks site.....check it out.
Tons of goodies available Exclamation
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have here some radius rod bushes, in Yellow as prototypes.
I have 2WD transmission mounts, all 3 variants, getting a bit of NVT so we're on MKII at the moment trying to quell the noises.
I also have some split rear trailing arm arm bushes to help instal, not sure about that yet.
I also have some black upper wishbone bushes, again to try as I don't like the fact you end up with more movement in the upper arm with Poly compared with the original bushes, for me I don't consider the upper wishbone bushes a modification that improves suspension performance, probably okay on a syncro as they are a little more supple, and quieter no doubt but that's because there is more material between the arm and the body.
We are just catching up at the moment, been silly busy so not had any real time to develop stuff, but we are also just fitting the prototype T4 steering rack mounts and anti roll bar mounts too....
I also have the early WBX cooling system ('83 to '85) cooling hoses for the engine bay coming in silicone too, if my supplier ever pulls their finger out!?
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Loogy,
these bushings can be installed (and the old ones removed) with simple hand tools. I can change my oil, but I have never messed with suspension. Just want to be sure I can do this rather than having to take the van to a shop. Thanks
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Since this is a new program to me, I have some questions regarding "washout" of the grease in to Powerflex and I will let you know the reply just as soon as I hear what they have to say.

The one thing that I can say is that the design of the bushing themselves will help with the grease retention. The inner diameter of the bushing have a sort of crosshatch pattern designed into them that helps keep the grease between the bushing and the inner sleeve.

Powerflex recommends a small tack weld to retain the outer bushing sleeve in the 2wd control arms.

1621, I have installed one set of power steering rack bushings and was impressed that I could actually feel the difference. While it was not a radical change, it did firm up the steering feel. And yes, once I have everything in stock, I do plan on installing a full set, one set at a time, into my rolling test bed. I will report on everything that I experience from installation to ride quality, good or not so good.

I also want to mention that my motivation for asking this question was not in an effort to get anyone to make any commitments or to feel obligated in any way. I simply want to get a feel for which parts might be most popular so that I can keep a good stock on hand and be able to provide them in a timely manor.

Even if you have no plans of purchasing any bushings at the moment, I am still interested in hearing from you.

I've got the rollbar urethanes which firmed up the ride, but most noticeable going accross the mountains this last weekend on the "test drive" was the rack bushings!

Whoa!

I'm actually meeting Chris today to pickup the UCA bushes !

Cant wait to get em installed!

Thanks T3!

Al
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love hearing more and more positive feedback from Vanagon owners using these upgrades.
I have had them installed for a few years now and appreciate all of the benefits each offers the ride of my vans.

Yes, totally agree with you that the power steering rack bushings really firm up the feel of the van in motion.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard others say they feel the van buffet next to larger SEMI or RV rigs.. due to the air displacement, the entire chassis rocks... or, shudders, that is with stock suspension components...

With the upgrades the footprint of the van is quite specific now, I no longer feel unsafe.

I wish I'd saved myself the grief of installing all RUBBER OEM VW/AUDI bushes, and gone straight for the upgrade.

Last edited by dubbified on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone NOT like the front lower control arm poly bushings?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? you don't like them or you're afraid of them?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: