Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What evil lurks beneath the rear window seal...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: What evil lurks beneath the rear window seal... Reply with quote

This is the weekend to replace the window seals on the rear windows of my '75 Westfalia. I didn't expect it to be pretty under there, but was not pleased to find this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking for opinions on how to manage this. My first thought is to cut it out and replace with metal from a donor bus. Any other ideas? Any hints about how to make this somewhat manageable?

Thanks for any input!

DJ Roberts

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe, and some others...
(more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
Fillmore77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any rotted metal needs to be cut out and replaced with solid steel, otherwise the rot will just progress.

Donor bus, or aftermarket steel parts are also available for most rust prone areas. I had a porfessional take care of the cutting and welding, then took care of the finishing myself.

Treat those areas with an extra layer of a good moisture barrier, like POR-15 prior to repainting, and use quality window seals, will last another 20 years.

DId a quick check on Busdepot, the L brackets that the side covers hook onto are available, but I didn't see any window sills. I cut up a 78 donor this summer, if it hasn't been picked up, I could check and see if the window sills are ok, I think they were. If you can't find anything locally, I might be able to help you out.

MP me if you'd like me to check, remember I'm in Canada, so shipping will be more expensive then if you can cut up a donor locally.

1977 Bay Westy, stock 2.0l FI, Hailing from Quebec, Canada.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68nofussbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I had all three of my back window sills in the same condition , I cut out all the rust till I had good metal , bent a piece of steel to the shape I wanted and took it to a metal shop and they made me 2 six foot pieces that I welded in , is was time consuming but worth it , I put por on all the metal and painted them , put seal and window in and have no problems , good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: