Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Wasser-Stopper
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: GoWesty Wasser-Stopper Reply with quote

Well, even with the coolant pipe leak today I stuck with the plan to tackle the Wasser-Stopper install. It all went pretty easy, though like everything it is not always a perfect fit.

You need to drill 5 holes in the lip of the top on the fiberglass lip forward of the tent attachment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then install 4 snap tabs. 1 each at positions #6 and #11 on either side of the top by replacing the tent install install screws with the snap tab. This is where I ran into the only trouble that I had. The black plastic washer/screw seat was a touch too thick and/or the supplied screw just a touch too short for position #6. I think that this, combined with a second or third screw installed in this top, did not leave enough fiberglass for the screw to have any purchase. I will fix this the next time the top comes off with a little resin in the hole and re-drill.

Overall the installation and product looks nice, and I feel that it will work well out here in the PNW or where ever the van takes us in the future.

SF

GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the screws on the side being too short. However, I've found that you don't really need to snap it up on the sides. There is plenty of tension between the front and back to keep it tight and the water out. I've been real happy with mine. Having the front cargo enclosed when camping is awesome. We have found it a great spot to put our clothes and shoes.
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of kit there, Wish i could get somthing similar for my Wiensberg pop up roof Sad
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: fly Reply with quote

Mine works great. Emailed GoWesty and told them so.

I mentioned it would be cool if it had little extensions for over the slider windows on the drivers side and the sliding door if you have the screen on the door. A short flap you could stake out or tie off would be great for air flow especially if you are on a one night stopover and didn't want to set up an awning. But that's just crazy talk.

B.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like GWTWTLW I don't bother with the side snaps, honestly doesn't add much to the system. Great item to have if you're used to inclement weather and don't like a wet tent. Also seems to 'insulate' the top a bit (if that's even possible). Perhaps more of a windbreak than anything else.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Wasser Stopper! This was one of the best purchases I have made.
It seems to keep the inside so much dryer, without the damp feeling in
the morning. I've found that the rear velcro is hard to attach to one another
but after a night of camping it seems to come together nicely.
Then as the day heats up everything seems to shrink and a nice tight
fit happens. Works well with the Bus Depot EZ awning too!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on love for the Wasser-Stopper. Has never leaked a drop. Stands up to high winds. Not real expensive. Easy to put up and take down. Stores in a very small bag. I also had the problem with one of my screws on the side. The screw just wouldn't bite, but it hasn't caused any problems. I installed mine while the pop-top was off which made it really, really easy. Adds a LOT of storage to the van and turns the luggage carrier into a really nice, dry vestibule. With my 10' Fiamma, my Kelty medium Carport over the back hatch and the Wasser-Stopper I'm ready for anything...rain or shine!

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this fly on my 91 Syncro Westy.
I really appreciate the fit.
I use insulation between the stock top and the fly.
Keeps the AC and heat in while camping.
Sweet.

dylan
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you leave the Wasser Stopper on when you put the top down. Or is it a reinstall each time you need it. I'm thinking it would be handy, if you expected rain, to have it ready to just snug down on the bottom on arrival at your campspot.

On the Kelty carport issue. Taking that thing down and apart in the rain has got to leave you with a large, dirty, wet, mass of fabric. Am I wrong?

Hi Pete

Randy
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to put it up in weather, but if you pop the top up, use stick provided and unzip the screen up front to make the 5 snaps, I think that you could do it without a whole lot of hassle and wetness. Thought the velcro connection in the rear would be destroyed in short order as it goes over the rear hinges and there is no way that it could take that kind of abuse.

It is a nice system, and for the price, I think very good value.

SF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add a pair of Jack ombays pop top shocks you can ditch the little bar provided to hold the top up - the shocks will hold the top wherever you want. And no, I wouldn't attempt to leave it in place, though i imagine it might be possible if one were to undo the front and rear closures and tucked everything well. Seems like more hassle than simply throwing it on honestly.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redcanoe wrote:
On the Kelty carport issue. Taking that thing down and apart in the rain has got to leave you with a large, dirty, wet, mass of fabric. Am I wrong?

It's really no different than taking down a small size wet tent. I just shake it out and shove it into its bag, wet or dry.

The medium size Kelty Carport fits perfectly over the rear of the vehicle and the hatch can be opened and closed with it on. I replaced two of my pop top hinge bolts with eye bolts so that it could be securely attached to the vehicle with straps. Works perfect. The Medium Kelty Carport (the Medium Deluxe Kelty Carport is different) has been discontinued. However, if you do an internet search you can still find NOS on closeout. Well worth the money if you want a nice awning over the back of the vehicle.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big brown truck dropped mine off today. have to wait for a little bit nicer weather for the install. as I have a Westfauxlia,the install may be trickier than others.
wallanoise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever checked the inside temperature with a Wasser Stopper and then without? I think I'll get one regardless but was just curious.
Thanks.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like mine too.