Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

collapsible pushrod tubes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaska-Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Go for it. I'm sure you can recoup some of your investment by selling "single" tubes in the van classifieds for people in your exact situation (since you only need 1 out of 8 at this time).

S

Actually, like most systems this old, I figure that touching one will cause others to begin leaking as well. Wink

But I'd rather have a split bus. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone tried these? If the other ones for a type 1 fit I assume these would as well.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1568
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, those plastic ones. yeah. check this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4866562#4866562
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
oh, those plastic ones. yeah. check this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4866562#4866562

That also happens to the oem style if the pushrod bends...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use These They work Great and work much better then the more expensive Styles intended for use on Vanagon's sold by the popular Van Shops.

These are also very Sturdy plus they don't leak oil in time as the Vanagon modes do. They are made so the downhill drain oil returning from the Heads to the Block flow's into the smaller tube 1st then the larger ones because the smaller Tube sets deep enough so basically oil doesn't have to be stopped by the O-rings as is the case with the Vanagon versions. Because of this design the O-Ring seals won't leak as easily as the flimsy Vanagon Styles do. The Vanagon style replacement Pushrod tubes would look reverse of what these look with the larger tube upwards towards the heads and flowing into the smaller tube. Thus the return oil must depend on the O-Rings to hold back any leaking / dripping Oil. When 1st installed the Vanagon versions do there job but I have seen almost a 100% oil drip failure over time plus they are flimsy and very similar in gauge as the original pushrod tubes so there bend easily. But these are more of a thicker pipe design where the smaller Pipe slides into the larger pipe and sealed by O-rings

Lastly this version have much more spring tension to push and seal against the Heads, and Block helping to eliminate oil leaks in those areas.

Once I discovered these gems, I stopped using the very expensive Vanagon ones on customers Vans. And so far all Happy Customers.

Ohoooo plus you can get like a set of 8 for what you'd pay for 2 of the Vanagon styles. But this style is only sold in a set of 8 replacement pushrod tubes. Usually around $80'ish bucks.

Lastly these were designed for the Type1 VW Bug Engines. But works wonderfully on Vanagons.

DennisC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From where did you get these?
DubNuts wrote:
I use These They work Great and work much better then the more expensive Styles intended for use on Vanagon's sold by the popular Van Shops.

These are also very Sturdy plus they don't leak oil in time as the Vanagon modes do. They are made so the downhill drain oil returning from the Heads to the Block flow's into the smaller tube 1st then the larger ones because the smaller Tube sets deep enough so basically oil doesn't have to be stopped by the O-rings as is the case with the Vanagon versions. Because of this design the O-Ring seals won't leak as easily as the flimsy Vanagon Styles do. The Vanagon style replacement Pushrod tubes would look reverse of what these look with the larger tube upwards towards the heads and flowing into the smaller tube. Thus the return oil must depend on the O-Rings to hold back any leaking / dripping Oil. When 1st installed the Vanagon versions do there job but I have seen almost a 100% oil drip failure over time plus they are flimsy and very similar in gauge as the original pushrod tubes so there bend easily. But these are more of a thicker pipe design where the smaller Pipe slides into the larger pipe and sealed by O-rings

Lastly this version have much more spring tension to push and seal against the Heads, and Block helping to eliminate oil leaks in those areas.

Once I discovered these gems, I stopped using the very expensive Vanagon ones on customers Vans. And so far all Happy Customers.

Ohoooo plus you can get like a set of 8 for what you'd pay for 2 of the Vanagon styles. But this style is only sold in a set of 8 replacement pushrod tubes. Usually around $80'ish bucks.

Lastly these were designed for the Type1 VW Bug Engines. But works wonderfully on Vanagons.

winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure where you're located, but here's the Canadian link https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-4109

Just installed mine tonight.

Last edited by winddude on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winddude wrote:
not sure where you're located, but here's the Canadian link https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-4109.

"The product you are trying to view no longer exists."

Were you meaning these?
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-109-337-025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubNuts wrote:

Yes, so what are "THESE"? Where did you get them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
winddude wrote:
not sure where you're located, but here's the Canadian link https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-4109

"The product you are trying to view no longer exists."

Were you meaning these?
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-109-337-025

my bad update the link had an extra '.' that was breaking it. The name is "C13-4109 - EMPI - NEW STYLE LARGE DIA. H-P ALU. SPRING-LOADED PUSHROD TUBES - W/DUAL O-RINGS-SET OF 8 -BUG ENG"
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

Has anybody tried the scat "Big Mouth" version of these?
I'm looking to try them on a 2.1 WBX.
Seems like the same thing described here.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

T3 Pilot seems to have built a few customers' WBXers with these, and has had good luck... I am about to order a set...

March Madness sale... $64 ..

bobbyblack wrote:
T3 Pilot wrote:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D4109

Always been skeptical of that advert, as "Bug Eng" seems to mean 1600 beetle Air Cooled Engine to me. But then, I haven't called them to confirm that they would or would not also fit the Vanagon stockers.

From this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690863
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
T3 Pilot seems to have built a few customers' WBXers with these, and has had good luck... I am about to order a set...

March Madness sale... $64 ..

bobbyblack wrote:
T3 Pilot wrote:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D4109

Always been skeptical of that advert, as "Bug Eng" seems to mean 1600 beetle Air Cooled Engine to me. But then, I haven't called them to confirm that they would or would not also fit the Vanagon stockers.

From this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690863

You got it. March Madness. Just ordered a set. I may not install them all at once just test one and see first but I'm reasonably confident they will work.

https://www.vwheritage.com/ac1094109a-scat-pushrod-tube-set-big-mouth-aluminium-adjustable-vw-spare

"Aircooled engines - Large diameter to head, long small diameter end to the case
Waterboxer engines - Long small diameter end to the head, large diameter end to the case"

We will see
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

Mine are on the way as well, but will arrive while I am out at a reunion in CA. It'll be the 10th or later before I get to even look at them. Will post back when I've got pic's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

Got one side done tonight, I am not sure about the nature of the 2.1 WBX end of tubes sizes vs the 1600 these may be for, but I did follow the instructions and put the spring end toward the block. It was just not possible to grasp the relatively small surface area of the end of the tube to do it in an opposed manner. In this case, I installed them as instructions say, but not as is obvious the size of the end seals of the WBX seem to suggest, the smaller end seems to want to be at the head, and the larger at the block.

I will have to see if they leak, and reassess after trial. The way these are now installed, there will be pooling of oil in the tube, instead of the oil flowing back without the 'step' blocking the flow slightly.

It seems to me that I will have to remove these and swap end to end, however, I have no idea how to grasp the tube with enough force to get them to compress them if in the opposite direction.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

Decided I don't even want to try running the engine with the spring toward the case. I am going to take the rockers and rods back out tonight, and turn these around. I've done some reading on how to grasp these things, by adding a hose clamp. I might see how 3 or 4 zip ties would work too. Was just too intimidated last PM by my inability to grip the small end. I realize they really do need to be spring end out, contrary to the instructions which seem to be for the 1600 AC engine.

Plus.. I lost my feeler gauge so I expect a new one tomorrow. I'll check to see what is up with my valve clearance while I am at it.
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

It looks like I have a bad lifter and searching for this style push rod tube I found these at fastfab. They are designed just for the Vanagon, the description says they are new. Has anyone got info on these?

http://www.fastfabonline.com/Vanagon-Pushrod-Tube-Set-_p_124.html

thanks
John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

Got them turned around. Amazed at how difficult it was to grasp them, and force them to compress. Was a serious struggle, and came to four letter utterances. A couple zip ties made it possible to get the grip I needed.

Unfortunately, on closer inspection of all parts involved, I see the faces of the rockers are scarred, and one push rod is slightly bent. And even worse, the wire circlip on the #1 exhaust lifter is malformed/bent, barely hanging on, to keep the lifter together. I tried using a pick to pull the lifter out, but it got hung on something unseen about half way out. Not sure of next steps, but its a three ring circus, for sure. I believe that if I can get the lash to zero plus 1.5 to 2 turns in, the pressure on the circlip will be negligible. It is just barely possible that the clip can hold it enough to keep the whole lifter from blowing chunks.

Regarding the collapsible tubes tho, it helped to use a few squirts of oil on the inner bore of the outer shell and on the o-rings. Worked the spring and slide function a lot before attempting to install them backwards to instructions. Seems a good fit now tho, I am hopeful, at least on the portion involving the tubes themselves.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: collapsible pushrod tubes Reply with quote

About 6000 miles on these now, so to revisit this:

I've got some slight seepage from the case on one, and head on two. I saw another post that I can't find just now showing some slathering of a gasket-maker type material on the ends. Anyone know what that product was, or have a similar product suggestion? I got to pull these again and put some goop on the ends. Yes, it'll be yet another struggle, but that's just what we do, right?

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: