Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doc gets a Zetec
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarooka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Exciting - Like a Mini Series on HBO Reply with quote

I am really enjoying your project and posts. As mentioned I am here in California and am 100% convinced the Bostiq approach makes sense for me. Now I just have to convince the state of California too.

Thanks for answering my question about the thermal wrap. I was not trying to stir up any issues. I appreciate your comments and did follow your advice about Googling for more information.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Exciting - Like a Mini Series on HBO Reply with quote

Tarooka wrote:
Now I just have to convince the state of California too.

good luck with that
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Engine goes in - Day 5 (1/2) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine and transmission are moved into place to mount.

Another hot day today at least the humidity was lower. I installed the engine today. I was not able to get any help so I did this alone, not as difficult as one would think. I moved the engine assembly to the car and set it down on 2 pieces of cardboard with a big black garbage bag between (to reduce friction), a good shove and I was able to use the hoist and floor jack to lift it into place. The tranny is bolted into place first and then the main mount is attached. The main mount uses 4 existing holes in the frame, and you need to drill 2 additional holes. The CV joints are attached and then engine height is checked and shims are added under the motor mounts to achieve the correct height. The rear motor mount is then attached. Everything is tightened up and the hoist and floor jack are removed. Done. Seems so easy sitting here at the computer, it took me about 4 hours. The balance of the day was used connecting up most of the system: cooling, shifting, throttle cable and air intake. Unfortunately I was not able to finish-up.

Just a side note. I got an e-mail from Bostig today informing me that a new video covering the wiring install was just being posted and they knew I was ready to do that procedure. Apparently they have been following these posts. Now thats good customer service.

The following link takes you to my photo web site with new additional photos: http://yachtmaya.smugmug.com/Cars/Bostig-Zetec-Conversion/13563772_UrVzb#988833822_L9BpE

Last edited by Ranger Shad on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tarooka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Wahoo! Yippee Skippy! (superlatives from my age group) Reply with quote

Nice work and all by yourself too.

It seems like you have an engineering type of approach; one who anticipates potential issue. Your posts will save the next person attempting this procedure a whole lot of time and give them a great perspective. Cool
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shad,

This thread is fabulous. My favorite so far is your airbox mod with the latches and also your method of mounting it in the bay.
Great work buddy!! Cool

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Day 6 (1/2) Finished (well almost)! Reply with quote

Flashing the Bostig custom tune into the ECU prior to first start.

Hooking up the Zetec to the Vanagon took longer than I had planned. Although none of the connections were difficult, it seemed like every time I crawled under to do something I didn't have the right tool or part to finish. The main wiring harness is basicly plug and play, sort of. The 2010 version of the Bostig kit has moved the ECU into the van under the rear seat. Most Vanagons have a hole (with a plug) already there. The 84 Westy dose not, I had to drill a hole, after checking to be sure I didn't hit anything vital. The harness is fed to the engine compartment and the various connections are made. Then the entire harness is attached either with attached clips or cable ties. Part of the wiring system is a speed sensor and it's ring. These are attached to the rear axle at the CV joint and on the side of the tranny.

The final assembly of the exhaust system involves attaching the muffler to the exhaust pipe and mounting the rubber shock absorbers to the frame to hold and dampen the muffler. When you attach the hanger to the muffler there is a small (1 inch x 3 inch) stainless steel strip than is inserted under the hanger. Sometimes the little things are the ones that can drive ya mad. While attempting to put this SS strip in place I dropped it inside the muffler! It wouldn't come out, I shook it, and twisted it. I used one of those little grabby extension things. No go. Since it was stainless steel a magnet wouldn't work, So I shook it some more, and twisted it some more. I screamed at it (didn't help it come out but made me feel better), I cursed at it. Then I shook it some more...you get the picture. I took a break for a drink (should have been beer but it was only ice tea). Finally I took 2 long socket extensions and made a ball of duct tape on one end with the sticky side out. took 3 attempts but I was able to get it out. This might have been funny but it was 90 degrees out and my sense of humor evaporated after the first hour. This little nightmare took almost 2 hours! Needless to say after I got the strip out it slid into place and the muffler was attached in 15 minutes. I may have Vanagon PTSD.

Finally I filled the engine with coolant, much easier than the waterboxer, flashed the ECU with the Bostig custom tune that they provided, set-up the data log feature on the included OBD II reader/writer/logger, held my breath, and fired that puppy up. What a sweet sound, smooth, reasonable quiet, powerful. I like my new Zetec. Then I noticed that the alternator warning light was on. I checked all the connections, all OK. I called the guys at Bostig and talked with Brady, he talked me through various checks. Everything seemed correct. Well boys and girls it seems I ordered the wrong alternator. Rule # 2: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, STUPID. This is completely my fault. The pre-install engine call out sheet specificly say "1999 Ford CONTOUR alternator". I bought a Focus alternator. Seems that the Focus will not work with this ECU. Easily fixed, except the parts supply place I bought the alternator at closes early, and I couldn't get there in time. So no go on driving today. Once again I must commend the customer service from the Bostig folks, it's great. They didn't call me stupid, to my face anyway.

I added a bunch of new photos. The following link takes you to my photo web site with new additional photos: http://yachtmaya.smugmug.com/Cars/Bostig-Zetec-Conversion/13563772_UrVzb#988833822_L9BpE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Day 6 (1/2) Finished (well almost)! Reply with quote

Ranger Shad wrote:
I shook it some more, and twisted it some more. I screamed at it (didn't help it come out but made me feel better), I cursed at it. Then I shook it some more...you get the picture. I took a break for a drink (should have been beer but it was only ice tea). Finally I took 2 long socket extensions and made a ball of duct tape on one end with the sticky side out. took 3 attempts but I was able to get it out. This might have been funny but it was 90 degrees out and my sense of humor evaporated after the first hour. This little nightmare took almost 2 hours! Needless to say after I got the strip out it slid into place and the muffler was attached in 15 minutes. I may have Vanagon PTSD.

I haven't worked on my van in a while, so I really enjoyed reading this. Just to remind me what it's like.
Tarooka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Pain Felt Reply with quote

Man I understand your frustration, but at the same time I can relate to your human experiences. What ever project I grab there is one of those "Muffler" experiences that invoke many primal screams.

Great job, keep it coming!
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Day 7 (more or less) Reply with quote

Final photo of the installed and running Bostig Zetec engine.

And no project is complete without the sticker.

Yesterday I finally found an alternator for a Ford Contour and after I installed it all the issues vanished. RULE #2 Follow the instructions. I ran another data log for Bostig and got the go ahead to drive. The Zetec started up immediately, ran smoothly, and had plenty of power. I drove 20 miles and then did my first oil and filter change. After that I drove and drove and drove. The Zetec has reasonable acceleration, is fairly quiet, and is very responsive to the throttle. The Zetec engine in a Vanagon is not a rocket, but it has the power and speed the 1.9 (and probably the 2.1) waterboxer lacked. You can actually feel the acceleration!. This is how the van should have been powered.

The folks at Bostig have been looking at these posts and the additional photos on the other site. This morning I got a phone call from Brady (at Bostig) with some suggested changes to the installation to improve safety and longevity. They suggested that I reroute the fuel supply line and the fuel return line, and the addition of extra cable ties to hold the coolant lines away from the exhaust system and provide additional stability. I did these changes (see photos) and went driving again today. Just another example of their customer service and dedication to a good product.

I will probably make one last post in a few days with the total hours, total cost for the project, and some subjective impressions of the project and the improved performance.

The following link takes you to my photo web site with new additional photos: http://yachtmaya.smugmug.com/Cars/Bostig-Zetec-Conversion/13563772_UrVzb#988833822_L9BpE
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verry nice-- That's an awesome write-up! Can't wait for the number crunching.
Susie
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up. I really like seeing the changes that Bostig has made just since the begining of 2010. I like the cooling improvements and the clearance with the new engine support. My support sits about 2 inches lower. It hits sometimes, and I worry about that. My ECU is also located in the engine bay. The new location should definilty be cooler for the electronics. Enjoy the ride.
Did you get the Zetec sticker from Bostig?
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your photos, esp. the annotations/comments, are SUPERB!!!

Thanks for documenting this project so well.

How about one final photo: taken from the back of the van looking forward, from down low, so we can see how low your are hanging . . .

A la this thread:
Bostig drivers, show us photos of your rear end
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367076

xo,
CJ
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to RangerShad's install page, and the final photo is of the engine install with a ruler measuring to the bottom of the cradle... 7 1/2 inches I think.

SF

climberjohn wrote:
Your photos, esp. the annotations/comments, are SUPERB!!!

Thanks for documenting this project so well.

How about one final photo: taken from the back of the van looking forward, from down low, so we can see how low your are hanging . . .

A la this thread:
Bostig drivers, show us photos of your rear end
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367076

xo,
CJ
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Engine height under oilpan and motor mount.

The minimum height under the engine is 7 inches at the massive 1/4 thick steel motor mount, 7 1/2 to the oilpan. I have Air Lift air shocks installed inside the rear springs. When the photo was taken the air shocks were not inflated. When inflated the air shocks add about 1 - 1 1/2 inches to the rear height. I also have 16 inch tires.

The Zetec sticker came from Ebay. I also have "Zetec Inside" stickers, the ones that are a take-off on Intel Inside. I just can't decide where to put them yet.

CJ, I will add another photo of the rear end and measure the height soon.

epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great writeup. I hope you post your gas mileage after you drive it a bit and also more driving impressions.
Tarooka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Hurah! Reply with quote

Nice ending and again, thank you for the detailed posts. I am looking forward to your final summary with costs and time expended.

I have the opportunity to buy a completed restored Carat for approximately $13K, but realize what I want to do is replicate your hands on experience. Yes, something in a stock configuration is OK, but then we have the overall reliability issue; I want something I can drive 5,000 miles without worry and a stock VW is not "it".

I guess I buy the Bostig Kool Aid and your posts ratify that feeling.

Good Job! Laughing
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Update #1 Reply with quote

Stainless Steel Exhaust System Cover installed.

A couple of updates; the folks at Bostig strongly suggested I replace the ceramic heat fabric under the engine cover plate I had mistakenly placed inside the engine exhaust manifold shield. They even sent the fabric without charge. This was a simple fix and didn't take very long. I also received their stainless steel exhaust system cover as a gift and installed this. In theory this looks like a simple install. The issue I had was that I had heat wrapped the entire exhaust system, and this wrap interfered with the installation of the cover. Also a couple of welded nuts that hold the cover in place on the exhaust manifold broke off. Both of these issues complicated the install and add a little time and forced me to improvise part of the installation. The jury is still out on the heat wrap, I would suggest that if you intend to add the Bostig Exhaust Cover you do not do the heat wrap. Actually I can't suggest the heat wrap at all, if you follow my lead you are on your own.

I haven't done any of the stats yet (price, hours, performance). I just passed 600 miles and the performance is up to expectations, the last fill-up I averaged 19.8 MPG with in-town driving. My best in-town milage with the waterboxer was 17.6 MPG. I also really like the taller 3rd gear on the AA Transaxle rebuild. More soon.

"Doc" is ready for a longer trip.
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Last Entry (maybe) Reply with quote

Doc at downtown Beaufort, NC Feb 2010 unusual snowstorm

I've been meaning to make this entry (and several people have asked), but I was waiting to do a long trip to get a highway MPG. It looks like I will be making a long trip soon (we are moving to south Georgia) but I will be pretty busy for awhile. I just passed 2000 miles on the Bostig conversion.

Here are some stats:
Gear Speeds:
AAA Transaxle rebuild with taller 3rd
1st to 2nd - 0-15 mph
2nd to 3rd - 15-30/33 mph
3rd to 4th - 30-45/50 mph
4th - 45-85 mph (fastest I was willing to go)
These upper speeds are the shift point, purely arbitrary. They just feel and sound right.

Speeds and RPM's:
3rd gear at 35 mph = 2950 RPM
3rd gear at 40 mph = 3450 RPM
4th gear at 45 mph = 2750 RPM
4th gear at 60 mph = 3750 RPM
4th gear at 70 mph = 4050 RPM
I'm running 205/65-16 tires. The speeds are GPS and very close to speedo. I took these RPM numbers from a OBD II monitor. The RPM's were rounded up or down so there maybe some discrepancy with computations.

MPG:
Around town (stop and go) I am averaging 19.2-19.8 MPG.
No highway data yet.

Acceleration:
0-60 mph - 15-18 seconds (not breath taking, but it is a heavy steel box)

Subjective Impressions:
I love it! Doc has a reasonable amount of power, improved MPG's, and a feeling of reliability (although a new waterboxer would probably be reliable too). I no longer feel like I have to carry a full rebuild toolkit everywhere I go, although I still do (old habits die hard). I can now accelerate uphill, pass other vehicles at cruise speeds (50-60) on 2 lane roads, and pull out into traffic and merge quickly.
I have had no significant problems with the Bostig conversion. The only issues were related to defective parts not supplied by Bostig.
There have been some questions about noise levels. I have not noticed an increase in engine noise. I can hold a conversation at normal volumes.
I feel it's the best thing I have ever done for any of the VW buses and vans I have owned (6 since 1970), and I would do it again.
I will do one more entry covering costs and hours for the conversion.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job. nice presentation. It's good to see the incremental improvements with each group. that cross member is much better now
ithinkso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm in the middle of my bostig install right now into a van that looks similar to yours. Can't wait to get it up and running.

1985 Westy, Zetec powered
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: