Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boulderdrop wrote:
Ping. I had to pull the propex last weekend in order to solve the "5 blink" problem in the propex and the 40mm fan sticking. Any word on the new sensor for the HS2000 purchased Feb 2008?

westyventures wrote:

presslab wrote:

Any idea when this new sensor will be available? Looks like I need to tear into the Propex again and it would be great if I could stick in the upgraded sensor.

I will check with them and keep you posted.

The sensor upgrade for the <2.2010 units is available finally. A couple notes:
1) We will warranty (free) a new, freezer-cold tested airflow sensing fan and installation if you choose to go that route. We have found recently that 20-30% of the sensor fans stiffen up at sub-zero temps and cause the 5-flash shut-off. Propex was not aware of this but I have alerted them of this on older units.
2) If you elect to go with the new sensor, the sensor update kit costs $70.
3) In order to update to the new sensor, you must use full-length, non-shortened exhaust and inlet pipes. These cost an additional $20 each.
4) If the heater is still under it's 2-year warranty, any service work must be done by me or one of my approved warranty repair guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

Woohoo! Does this include shipping? How can I send you the money? PayPal?
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

3) In order to update to the new sensor, you must use full-length, non-shortened exhaust and inlet pipes. These cost an additional $20 each.

If I remember correctly, the pipes in this picture from WestyVentures (which I copied when I installed mine 3 years ago) are shortened.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm kind of drawing a blank, here, is that true, Karl? Would these pipes need to be changed?

I've never had any problems with my Propex, but I have never been below zero, either. Is it prudent to do the upgrade?

Thanks...
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Units built prior to February 2010 (A10 last numbers of the serial #) have the old optical airflow sensor. These weren't so picky about pipe length. The new Omron airflow sensor is more so. It is mostly the reverberation that upsets it, and full-length pipes eliminate the reverb.

Most of the early optical sensors are fine - in the end the quality control from their supplier led to some sensors spinning slower than others with the same airflow (the sensor wheel is a miniature fan).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
westyventures wrote:

Woohoo! Does this include shipping? How can I send you the money? PayPal?

Shipping would be $5 on just the sensor kit, $10 if you need pipes also. I won't have more of the sensor kits available until I return from my roadtrip end of next week. Cool
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received the new sensor and hooked it up. There was a problem with the new sensor but I figured it out, it's not Karl's fault either.

The heater is working good now and it seems to be more robust. I can partially block the exhaust hose and the heater keeps on working, whereas before you would sneeze and the thing would shut off.

Thanks Karl!
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-term report: I've not had any more problems with the Propex. It fires up every time and is working very well.

I know it is not recommended, but I extended the exhaust to the other side of the van and hooked back up a small lawnmower muffler. Even still it has been working fine!
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait to get one of these Propex heaters.. I want to sno camp so bad.
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems since FEB 2012, when I sent my Propex HS2000 (manufactured 2008 and never worked reliably) into Karl for refit. Again, zero problems after he fixed stuff. I don't believe new units will have the issue.

Repair Costs...

Propex HS2000 non-warranty repairs: replaced loose ignitor tip - $5, installed AF-delete chip - $25, cleaned&adjusted unit,installed parts,tested - 1.5 hours = $45 labor. Return shipping $20 UPS. Total due, $95.
1979 Sears Freespirit Moped
1996 Chev S10 4x4 ZR2
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Wife's)

== How I Pay the Bills ==
Windows FTP Server at http://www.bpftpserver.com (PM for a FREE one)
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl is really a standup guy, and stands behind his products.
Gots nothing but good to say about the guy. Heck he recently did a heck of a fast turn around on a repair for me and that was shortly after he had a very sudden and sad traumatic lost in his life.
Doubt that many of us could have handled his kind of lost and still focused so well.
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Propex won't light Reply with quote

Installed a Propex that I believe the customer bought several years ago and never installed. It was brand new in the box, but I think it was from 2005. Anyway it won't light and I get the 5 blinks. I am going to try to blow some compressed air into the intake tube tomorrow morning and see if this does anything. Any other advice?
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex won't light Reply with quote

kenwilfy wrote:
Installed a Propex that I believe the customer bought several years ago and never installed. It was brand new in the box, but I think it was from 2005. Anyway it won't light and I get the 5 blinks. I am going to try to blow some compressed air into the intake tube tomorrow morning and see if this does anything. Any other advice?

If it is that old, then yes, blow compressed air in the burner inlet and most likely the airflow sensing fan is stuck. Or, depending how it's been stored all those years, could even be full of spider webs! Laughing
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, would the propex not light because of there being no gas and would it not have any blinking lights?
I tried to start the other day when it was below freezing and it wouldn't light, then I attached a propane
tank and it fired right up. I am thinking the Westy tank is empty but the non blinking leds are a comcern?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Karl, would the propex not light because of there being no gas and would it not have any blinking lights?
I tried to start the other day when it was below freezing and it wouldn't light, then I attached a propane
tank and it fired right up. I am thinking the Westy tank is empty but the non blinking leds are a concern?

Depends on the model. Which one do you have?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 a year old
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it didn't give a fault code then that is odd. When you say it 'didn't fire up' what did it do or try to do? Did you hear the gas valve and ignitor?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes heard it and saw the yellow led come on for two to three seconds and then go out. That's when I
figured the tank was empty and connected the 5# tank thru the extend a stay after the Westy tank.
After that was connected it fired up and was putting off some heat. No fault codes what so ever.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably if you let it try multiple times it would eventually display a 2-flash fault code.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Probably if you let it try multiple times it would eventually display a 2-flash fault code.

Karl is there any chance that by doing this it could hurt the electronics of the unit? I don't want
to take any chances just to see if I get the two flashes when it clearly ignites from the added
tank.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
westyventures wrote:

Karl is there any chance that by doing this it could hurt the electronics of the unit? I don't want
to take any chances just to see if I get the two flashes when it clearly ignites from the added
tank.

No, it is normal operation for it to try 3-4 times to do an operation before finally displaying the fault code in the circuitry from 2/2010-on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: