Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4th gear disappeared
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

Driving down the highway 65mph and I lost 4th gear (no power)
This is a recently rebuilt trans 2wd
Ive read this happening to 4wd vanagons
Linkage seem fine
was able to move the connecting rod , from underneath, in 3rd and 4th w/o issue
Any Ideas?
Thnx
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

4wd & 2wd 4th gears are exactly the same components.
There is no reason for more broken 4wd 4th gears.
I agree you read more 4wd broken 4ths. Dunno why.
Maybe they whine more On the Internet (syncro owners)

So if you’re under the van, and either hand-shifting between 3rd/4th it all seems normal?

Except 4th gear is no-go, like a “neutral”. Right?
4th gear breaking at the weld is a possibility, search Flomulgators images.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

4th gear is essentially neutral=yes
under the van all seems normal
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

Open wallet, remove cash, cry silently
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

had that happen 5hours from home (at the 1st day of a 2week trip)
took 6hours to return home in 3rd gear.
got home day 1 and replace transaxle with spare
Day 2 head out on major western road trip with new unknown transaxle v2.

noticed the 4th gear cruising was much more quiet.

day 14 transaxle v2 eats the differential 2 miles from home.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

seeing as this was a very recent rebuild (less than 5 mnths)
It seems a little odd tht the trans needs work
This must be the most unreliable vehicle in history if, as a sticky chides, "have you ever gone a long distance without an issue" and "long distance =1k miles???
TBH im leaning towards the camp tht VW= Very Wonky
it appears that it couldnt do 100 miles w/o issue let alone 1k
and believe me I dont run it hard or otherwise abuse it
I spend more time pampering this turd than I have dun with ANY other vehicle
Not to besmirch the members here, as they have always been very helpful, but this fascination with these things is bordering on the point of masochism
rant over thank u all for ur opines and insight
T
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

We've all been there.

Then with time, the issues lessen.

And it's worth it.

But I hear Ya.

Call the rebuilder, it's both unusual and unacceptable to have a fresh rebuild go south like this.

I'm intentionally not asking who rebuilt it. Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

If you are stopped.
Engine idling.

Put it in 4th gear.
Let out the clutch (van doesn't move, right)
Pull back on the shifter.

Do you feel any "bumping" on the shifter?
Do you hear any "noises"?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a broken 4th gear.
It's an OEM VW part.
They don't break often, but "it happens".
Pulling back on the shifter could jam the broken surfaces together, and you may feel it pulsing on the shifter.

A VW 4th gear that didn't break can run 400,000 miles.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

space wrote:

Not to besmirch the members here, as they have always been very helpful, but this fascination with these things is bordering on the point of masochism

https://youtu.be/hEdql3WNpvo

But you're in good company.
Go to the 1:10 mark of the video. Wink

To be fair to the vanagon platform, I've had, I think, 5 vanagons now (weird that I'm not even sure how many Think Think ), over the last 30 some years, and I've only needed a tow truck one time.
And one of those, the only one I still have, I drove all over the U.S. for several years playing the poker circuit.
No real problem that I couldn't take care of.

Btw, it seems that when transmissions are rebuilt they don't replace everything with new, so if the 4th visually appeared okay I think it could easily be the original.

Maybe it's just me, but I used to think that rebuilt meant all new parts.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
If you are stopped.
Engine idling.

Put it in 4th gear.
Let out the clutch (van doesn't move, right)
Pull back on the shifter.

Do you feel any "bumping" on the shifter?
Do you hear any "noises"?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a broken 4th gear.
It's an OEM VW part.
They don't break often, but "it happens".
Pulling back on the shifter could jam the broken surfaces together, and you may feel it pulsing on the shifter.

A VW 4th gear that didn't break can run 400,000 miles.

will check today
I dont recall any noises or bumping
thnx
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

sorry for your pain, rebuilt parts mean the part is still within spec, may be on the lower end of tolerances, but usable. The problem is parts and vehicles are 35 years old now, how well the vehicle has been maintained for its life is a huge factor in reliability (not just transmission). Replacement part quality is not up to par, so be careful just replacing parts and thinking, "well that new, should have to worry about that for many years."
If you want a real headache, try a 35 year old British car.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:

or a 35 year old Swedish car. or Italian car. or other German car. or American car. maybe not so much a 35 year old Japanese car but it won't be drivable due to rust where i live.

sounds like you will still be in your warranty period so other than the R&R, you should be taken care of.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Wellington wrote:

or a 35 year old Swedish car. or Italian car. or other German car. or American car. maybe not so much a 35 year old Japanese car but it won't be drivable due to rust where i live.

sounds like you will still be in your warranty period so other than the R&R, you should be taken care of.

My 50yr old datsun doesnt give nearly as much frustration though Ive had a few japanese Rust Rockets
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

In my opinion, the rebuilder wouldn't have had a clue that the 4th gear in the OPs tranny was near failure, especially like the one in the pic Sodo posted.

OP, considering you never said it "jumped" out of gear and that it will not stay in gear, just no gear there, the failure is likely as suggested and posted by Sodo.

We have to assume the Tranny is an 091/1 (83.5 and up), of which I have no experience. But, it is my understanding those Trannies are much easier to disassemble and reassemble, particularly setting the shifting forks of each gear.

Generally, a rebuild involves replacing bearings, worn reverse gears, worn shifting forks, worn sliders, replacement of visually damaged/worn gears and the brass synchronizer rings if they are worn out of spec. If a cone is worn to the point that a new synchro ring is barely within spec, it should be replaced. The pinion bearing is the most expensive bearing in the transmission and by comparison the others are dirt cheap. It should be replaced, in my opinion, regardless of condition. (You're dumping in a lot of cash to go short there.)

I've rebuilt several 002 (for the Transporter) and 091 (80-83) trannies which require the use of a jig to set the shifting forks. This coming winter I plan to disassemble and rebuilt my first 091/1 which is out of an 85 model.

When I rebuilt the 091/1 "for" my 84 Tin-top (code DK, with taller R&P), I used Weddle for all the replacement parts and upgraded to taller 3rd & 4th gears to accommodate the TDI conversion I was doing at the time. The trans has always had a whine in 3rd & 4th gears, especially when I let up on the accelerator...... 3rd more so than 4th.... always assumed it to be the thick cut aftermarket gears.

Anyway, the salesman at Weddle encouraged me to use an upgraded 3rd-4th Hub considering I would be using a TDI engine. The trans has been great for almost 85k miles of which at least 25k of those miles were pulling a popup camper.

Lastly, although not a Vanagon Tranny, one day in my 2000 Jetta TDI, it jumped out of 5th gear with zero prior or present warning. Long story short, the slider and hub were worn extremely bad, thus, it was in a bind and would not stay in gear. (known oiling issue, especially if just slightly low on oil) ...
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

Hey Andy thanks for chiming in
Trans is an 091
The reason for the swap was the original trans used to pop out of 4th and 3rd had a "grinding" sound when i shifted (in to our out of 3rd)
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

Sodo, checked for noises and or grinding, bumping
Nothing
4th gear position does nothing
connecting rod moves freely
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000154/1004937
this looks a different than your pic
will it work?
Btw thanks for ur time
T
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

Hope it's an easy fix, Space. 👍🏼

— Colin Chapman
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Hope it's an easy fix, Space. 👍🏼

You and Me Both!
Thnx E for all your input
T
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

I didn't much help much here, but you're most welcome. Cool

— Colin Chapman
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th gear disappeared Reply with quote

Space, the gear in the pic that Sodo posted is the idler. The part on the left contains the cone where the brass synchronizer rides during engagement. The cone is on the side facing down.

The gear you linked from Weddle is splined in the center hole and fits on the shaft in a fixed position.

It takes to tango ! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: