Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to check Fuild level in RGB's
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluemoontruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: How to check Fuild level in RGB's Reply with quote

Strange. So for regular mantainance, the book(s) recommend checking the following fuild levels.
Oil, = dip stick, brake fluid = full, transmission,= remove side plug, level below hole, RGB = fill 250 ML’s. So unless you drain it and refill, how do you know the level? ? Can you overfill ?
EODinert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will run back up the axle tubes if you put too much in it. Conversely, especially if you have the bus jacked up and take either of the plugs out, oil will run down the axles and out the holes.

I just put a new transaxle in my bus, and filled each RGB independently... but only because it was new, and they were dry.
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to check Fuild level in RGB's Reply with quote

bluemoontruck wrote:
Strange. So for regular mantainance, the book(s) recommend checking the following fuild levels.
Oil, = dip stick, brake fluid = full, transmission,= remove side plug, level below hole, RGB = fill 250 ML’s. So unless you drain it and refill, how do you know the level? ? Can you overfill ?

I am in need of this info too.

I always thought that the tranny and RGB's were connected through the axle. (this is what i was told) IE, you fill the tranny and it fills the RGB's.

Spanish Flea
"Mr. Ford, i don't think what we are being offered here is worth a damn!" - Ernest Breech (On buying VW, March 1948)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buspilot67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Bentley when empty they should be filled with .25 liters, and fill the transaxle to the bottom of the fill hole. From there the axle tube will keep the correct amount in the RGB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluemoontruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Ta Dah ! Reply with quote

buspilot67, thank you , Spanish flea that's our answer. The lube should take the path of least resistance . The danger of too much pressure forcing seals should not be an issue unless the drain holes get plugged, or the seals are bad . The level is self correcting if I understand correctly. bmt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: