Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new owner -- 1982 Diesel Vanagon Camper
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gastonomicus_fantz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: new owner -- 1982 Diesel Vanagon Camper Reply with quote

I bought an 82 stock diesel vanagon a little over a month ago -- It is a really nice van. I've always wanted one -- since I was a little kid.
Test drove a few, but never drove one that I fell in love with, until this one.

First VW -- First diesel.

I've ordered some parts--
ignition switch, fuel lines, fuel filter, oil filter, coolant, timing and other belts --- plan on getting more familiar with her over next week or so.

Right when I got her, I had an issue with my other vehicle and was forced to make the van my daily driver -- avg 50 miles a day for 5 or 6 days -- no issues.

So far she has started up every time I turn the key.
Now that I got my daily back up and running, I start the vanagon every day to listen, then I usually cruise down to the park or around the neighborhood. Reluctant to take her too far from home until I get some basic mantenance done.

I got the Bentley manual and I read it often, getting familiar with her.

The coolant hoses have become a concern for me.
The top one is taped at both junctions.
I am hesitant to peel back the tape to see the actual condition of the hoses.
The coolant resovoir stays full, I don't see any leaks, just the tape scares me.

I can't find a replacement set, I was gonna suck it up and buy the $400 set from greaseworks, but the deal fell through.

Should I wait until I find a new set of hoses before flushing the coolant system?

Anyway I've been lurking pretty heavy on here over the last month, just wanted to say 'hey' and 'thanks for sharing all the great info.

I ordered a Samba t-shirt and I'm really excited to finally have a camper van.
GV Jones
Austin Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome & nice to see another diesel in the group! Very Happy

Karl has what you are looking for, I believe.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=968435
Ostara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited for you! I so wish I had a diesel engine, especially after all the oil rig explosions. I'm envious. I know the excitement and have it too. Finally got the VW I grew up in after my dad decided to part with it and it's my baby.

Welcome to The Samba! I'm new here as well and love the community. I really look forward to hearing more about your new love. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think diesel is a petroleum product? but I'm never sure of anything these days. Lasts longer than gas tho i.e. more economical I hear Wink

Again I'm not sure but I believe that there is a difference between stock Vanagon diesels and diesel conversions. I will let others address this issue if they wish. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congrats!
Getting a new timing belt and tensioner is important to the diesel like new fuel lines are to the gassers. Just never go cheap on these parts- get the best quality ones you can! If either of those break, your engine is wrecked in a second.
Regarding the coolant hoses,since you have another car to drive, just pull off the tape and see what's underneath (you will have to sooner or later anyway). Just have a roll of silicone "rescue tape" handy to tape it back up. The stuff actually works well.
I really enjoy mine, it actually keeps up with most traffic most of the time now, and I don't have a turbocharger on it (and not planning to get one either). It is my daily driver as well as my trip machine.
Check out http://www.vwdiesel.net for info on the engine.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. My hats off to you for being aware of the possible issues that might come with owning a 28 year old vehicle.
Too many people purchase a vehicle like ours and then immediately hit the road.

Congratulations for doing your homework....your going to be a responsible Vanagon owner. Happy and safe trails to ya.
Ostara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I think diesel is a petroleum product? but I'm never sure of anything these days. Lasts longer than gas tho i.e. more economical I hear Wink

Again I'm not sure but I believe that there is a difference between stock Vanagon diesels and diesel conversions. I will let others address this issue if they wish. Cool

Diesel fuel (pronounced /ˈdiːzəl/) in general is any liquid fuel used in diesel engines. The most common is a specific fractional distillate of petroleum fuel oil, but alternatives that are not derived from petroleum, such as biodiesel, biomass to liquid (BTL) or gas to liquid (GTL) diesel, are increasingly being developed and adopted. To distinguish these types, petroleum-derived diesel is increasingly called petrodiesel.[1] Ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) is a standard for defining diesel fuel with substantially lowered sulfur contents. As of 2007, almost every diesel fuel available in America and Europe is the ULSD type. In the UK, diesel is commonly abbreviated DERV, standing for Diesel Engined Road Vehicle (fuel).

If I had a diesel engine, I would have it converted, but I don't, so...

Diesel is cleaner than regular gasoline... at least I'm pretty sure it is. Smile

73' Super Beetle
71' Super Beetle
69' Beetle
68' Beetle
69' Bay Window Bus
99' New Beetle

Current love <3
91' Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also come over to www.vwdiesel.net and join us there, lots of very wise folks (and a few buffoons) Very Happy An excellent resource for diesel owners.
Enjoy your new adventure!

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ostara wrote:
DAIZEE wrote:

Diesel fuel (pronounced /ˈdiːzəl/) in general is any liquid fuel used in diesel engines. The most common is a specific fractional distillate of petroleum fuel oil, but alternatives that are not derived from petroleum, such as biodiesel, biomass to liquid (BTL) or gas to liquid (GTL) diesel, are increasingly being developed and adopted. To distinguish these types, petroleum-derived diesel is increasingly called petrodiesel.[1] Ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) is a standard for defining diesel fuel with substantially lowered sulfur contents. As of 2007, almost every diesel fuel available in America and Europe is the ULSD type. In the UK, diesel is commonly abbreviated DERV, standing for Diesel Engined Road Vehicle (fuel).

If I had a diesel engine, I would have it converted, but I don't, so...

Diesel is cleaner than regular gasoline... at least I'm pretty sure it is. Smile

Arrow Let's stop taking our dreams and wishes for reality, can we?

Diesel is cleaner than regular gasoline.

Arrow Arrow
Now that estimates of diesel particulate concentrations are available from NATA, it is clear that the cancer risks from diesel emissions are about ten times higher than the cancer risks from all other hazardous air pollutants combined.

For details see Arrow http://www.scorecard.org/env-releases/def/hap_diesel.html

Please let's not argue, the bio diesel, algae diesel or whatever other fantasist solution may be made up. We are talking of petroleum diesel, the only that really matters as how many so called biodiesel vehicles are really on the road and how many petroleum fed are ?

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you. I did not know that it was a potential carcinogenic. Interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here is the situation: you are trying to collapse multiple factors into one ("cleanliness")

Diesel is in fact "cleaner" than gasoline in some respects - benzene emissions, HC, NOx, and probably CO.

Diesel is also 'easier' to refine, so there is less pollution and energy use at the location of the refinery than if it is making gas.

BUT...

Diesel - even in the most modern engines using the cleanest fuel - generates far more particulates than gasoline. Particulates vary in size and the small ones are the worst for your lungs (they go the deepest). Particulates are very bad news...

BioDiesel is cleaner than petro-Diesel -- I forget by how much but when I queried the local bus co. here (which used to run bio-Diesel) it was not a huge increment.

Diesel fuel is indeed a lot cleaner than before, but only the most modern engine designs (often using a urea trap) can give the lowest emissions; however, all engines produce lower particulate emissions on the new fuel.

There are other considerations re clean & green, but that is it in a nutshell.
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPachem, anyone who has been on this Samba board for a while knows that you hate diesels. Please don't veer everyone off topic to re-state your rant at the slightest opportunity. We're trying to welcome a new guy here, not make him feel like a baby killer for burning diesel.
I would burn habenero sauce if it gave me 30mpg. I don't like the pollution mine makes, and honestly I try to keep it down. But unless you have a magic habenero sauce option or a free bluetec system for me, I'd rather just stick with saying, "welcome".
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagonner wrote:
VisPachem, anyone who has been on this Samba board for a while knows that you hate diesels. Please don't veer everyone off topic to re-state your rant at the slightest opportunity. We're trying to welcome a new guy here, not make him feel like a baby killer for burning diesel.
I would burn habenero sauce if it gave me 30mpg. I don't like the pollution mine makes, and honestly I try to keep it down. But unless you have a magic habenero sauce option or a free bluetec system for me, I'd rather just stick with saying, "welcome".

Speaking of ""off topic"" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jawohl Herr Oberst Laughing Laughing Laughing

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: new owner -- 1982 Diesel Vanagon Camper Reply with quote

gastonomicus_fantz wrote:
I bought an 82 stock diesel vanagon a little over a month ago -- It is a really nice van. I've always wanted one -- since I was a little kid.
Test drove a few, but never drove one that I fell in love with, until this one.

First VW -- First diesel.

I've ordered some parts--
ignition switch, fuel lines, fuel filter, oil filter, coolant, timing and other belts --- plan on getting more familiar with her over next week or so.

Right when I got her, I had an issue with my other vehicle and was forced to make the van my daily driver -- avg 50 miles a day for 5 or 6 days -- no issues.

So far she has started up every time I turn the key.
Now that I got my daily back up and running, I start the vanagon every day to listen, then I usually cruise down to the park or around the neighborhood. Reluctant to take her too far from home until I get some basic mantenance done.

I got the Bentley manual and I read it often, getting familiar with her.

The coolant hoses have become a concern for me.
The top one is taped at both junctions.
I am hesitant to peel back the tape to see the actual condition of the hoses.
The coolant resovoir stays full, I don't see any leaks, just the tape scares me.

I can't find a replacement set, I was gonna suck it up and buy the $400 set from greaseworks, but the deal fell through.

Should I wait until I find a new set of hoses before flushing the coolant system?

Anyway I've been lurking pretty heavy on here over the last month, just wanted to say 'hey' and 'thanks for sharing all the great info.

I ordered a Samba t-shirt and I'm really excited to finally have a camper van.
GV Jones
Austin Texas

got some pictures? Smile congradulations Smile
jarad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I am also here in austin and drive a diesel westy. pm me. i love meeting new folks!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which fuel lines did you buy? Just wanted to mention that the "Change Your Fuel Lines" broken record recommendation doesn't apply to the diesels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: