Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia/Bus/Vanagon Restoration Stories
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful and soft/plushy looking. Great job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woaw!!! Shocked

beautiful and shiny Cool

You're ready to go in Tunisia , the Afrika Korps color !

Nice story!!

At least you're single and hassle free,same result for me when I never cared for my ex girlfriend:you gotta find one who's stocked by buses (I did),then you can add whatever you want Very Happy
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT is sweet! The way the color covers it all is incredible. The engine tin is the frosting on the cake my man. Thanks for sharing the photo set.
So does it get to camp yet or are there still items that must be tended to? What exhaust did you hang on it?
-Jeffery

1987 Westfalia 1.9
"I can always sell it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
So does it get to camp yet?
What exhaust did you hang on it?

I camp all the time. No matter what it looks like, it is, first and foremost, my camper
(I don't believe in 'Garage Queens'... what's the point?)
Summer '08, drove it out to Flagstaff, took a right and did the 'grand-tour' of the NPs (Painted Desert, GC, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Natural Bridges, w/ Monument Valley,Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Kodachrome Basin, Goblin Valley and Dead Horse Point thrown it)
Summer '09: drove it up to Acadia in Maine
Summer '10: 400 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway and then Skyline Dr thru Shenandoah then on up to the Adirondacks
Usually if its not deadly hot or cold, I get a weekend or two a month in the southern Appalachians
Exhaust these days is a Thunderbird setup (extractor and bugpack muffler)

South Carolina has some very pretty State Parks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres my resto/conversion, i'm very proud of her. I had my '74 westy for 10 years... but I couldn't drive or camp in it in the winter because of the lack of heat and fear of rust. I sought out to find a syncro "beater", my old GMC truck had rusted out at the frame and I needed a new winter car.

I searched high and low, test drove a few syncros and lost out on all of them. there was even one that sold for $800. I was so upset at myself for not jumping on it at the time that I couldn't sleep at night. Shortly thereafter a syncro popped up on craigslist, which was about a mile from my parents house where I grew up. I happened to be going down there that weekend. I saw the bus and it was the same syncro that I'd seen around for years, though I didn't know it was a syncro....just another vanagon.

I bought it and drove it for a winter in the snow and came to the conclusion it was too nice a vehicle to subject it to another. It was originally from California. The guy I bought it from said it was a friends who drove it to New Hampshire from California and then blew the motor a year later. He bought it and replaced it with a low miles engine with his son and drove it about 20K miles like that. The registry info all confirms this. I enjoyed it for a 2 years before I spent an entire winter doing the camper conversion, then body work and paint. then about a week for the engine swap. Its an ongoing project, and I love it. Best VW bus ever made is the syncro camper.

I don't drive it in the winter anymore Smile

before:

after:

old engine:

new engine:

old interior:

new interior:

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did it...the RED...oh my....that is the perfect color! Funny how that vehicle was so close to you for years and ended up in your driveway (same happened with mine). What a super job you did, kudos!
May I ask some questions?...
Did you change out the gearbox when the subaru engine was set? The conversion tempts me as the very idea of going 70 mph up hill is but a dream with the stock 1.9.
Cheers -Jeffery
1984 Westfalia 1.9
"I can always sell it!"
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
x when the subaru engine was set? The conversion tempts me as the very idea of going 70 mph up hill is but a dream with the stock 1.9.

Its the original stock transmission, I'm using 28" tires, which helps the gearing... but even with the stock size tires its fine. Come rebuild time I may keep the stock gearing or go with a *slightly* taller 4th.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You did it...the RED...oh my....that is the perfect color! Funny how that vehicle was so close to you for years and ended up in your driveway (same happened with mine). What a super job you did, kudos!"

I love the red, too! How much hotter do you think it gets than one that's white or otherwise light-coloured? You started with a darker colour, but maybe others who repainted light>dark or dark>light can answer this....Mine is white now, and will just get touchups for a while, but when I get around to a full body job, the red is pretty special...

I expect to be doing a fair bit of camping in hot climates. Will a white poptop be enough to keep it coolish?

----

Kathy

88 Westy
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,the RED is a killer van!!

I saw your post,amazing roof conversion:everytime I see such conversions,I'm impressed
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to admit that this string of great stories is good reading. Hope the post does not get buried yet...as I want to read more of them.
Next....?
Cheers,
Jeffery
1984 Westfalia 1.9
"I can always sell it!"
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another element to restoring an older Westy.... "time travel". What do I mean?
My first Westy was a tin top 1971. White and not my fave. The 1977 Chrome Yellow pop top Westy was sweet. The timing was perfect in that it was where my two daughters learned all about travel, camping and the fun of a "circus" side tent. We got tired of winter and less-than-comfortable heat. So I found a white 1984 Westy (and another side tent) here in Portland that carried us on many trips all over the place. Wonderful rig it was. Many memories were implanted while the miles piled on. But the girls got big, and we sold the Westy to persue a larger RV.
10 years pass. Girls in college, Dad still likes to travel with kayak and bikes. The current green Westy brings back all of the memories not just for me but also for the girls, as the interior is the same. They go on and on about places we went...things we saw...where they puked on what winding road......good stuff. One difference, they can drive it now. New memories can start where the old ones left off.
Time travel indeed.
-Jeffery
1984 Westfalia 1.9
"I can always sell it!"
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the rework or restoration on my 91. The Vanagon belonged to the German counsel in Texas. Repair shop started the work after the transmission cooler failed and the failure destroyed the transmission and looks like the cooling system. They started the work but did not finish it. The 91 has some very cool euro internal headlamp adjusters and a euro rear fog lamp. Looking at the books and records, the 91 spent some time back in 1994 doing the European tour, travel insurance and ADAC package in the glove box.

Took the newly reworked engine out of my totaled 88 wolfsburg and installed it in the 91. (took the 91 engine, which had been "rebuilt" with AMC heads and will save it for a rework this winter) Rebuilt the automatic out of the 88 as the 91 "rebuilt" automatic steel internals were very rusty and the 91 aluminum transmission case was scored from antifreeze and sitting . Fitted the Audi 5000 planetarys, seals and packs. Resealed the diff, and found a cute way to remove the governor seal. Fitted new back to back seals, rebuilt torque converter, output shaft seals and doubled down on the torque converter seals. New Lobro CV joints, rear brakes, hand brake cables, front brakes, wheel bearings, wheel cylinders and all new brake lines.

Flushed the AC system and fitted a new receiver dryer. Repaired the burnt AC fuse connection with some NAPA heavy gauge metal terminals and the clean fuse block from the 88. Replaced the AC relays.

New transmission mount and throttle cable. Repaired the central locking system by cannibalizing the actuators from the 88. Repaired the power windows on the 91 with the very new window motors out of my 88. Fitted the instrument cluster from my 88 as it was working perfectly with a repaired speedo and fresh electrics.

Fitted new Terry K stainless coolant pipes, made in a hurry, thanks Terry. New radiator and all new coolant hoses. Resealed the fuel tank and all new fuel lines, fuel pump and filter.

I hated working in the very hot Georgia August weather, but it had to be done.

Just finished the first long drive to and from Alabama and the 91 was excellent. No problems and a good engine/transmission check when we returned shows no problems.

Some pictures, cut and paste in your browser if it won't link :

http://picasaweb.google.com/105549292576526988159/91Vanagon#
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert-
Gotta appreciate the transplant scene! You did fast work bro. Clean machine and dig the euro lamp adjusters. Never seen those before. Cool.
-Jeffery
1984 Westfalia 1.9
"I can always sell it!"
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It really wasn't quick work. Took about 2-3 weeks working solo.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great stories!
QUESTION:
Has anyone purchased the carpet kits from GoWesty? I am wondering if the color is a match for the original 1982-1984 Westfalia brown carpeting.
Cheers, Jeffery
1984 1.9 Westfalia
"I can always sell it!"
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it worth following up on the Westy restoration since September.
Also that on a nice, sunny day my wife and I stopped to see the family who sold us the camper. They were thrown back by how well it came back from rot. Glad also that it had found a good home. Perfect storybook ending. However my work continued…a blend of basic 28 year refurbishment and some wish-list goodies.
New brake master, replaced faulty rear cylinder (warranty), then power bleed
Head unit/S35 speakers (in original grills), new 14 gauge speaker wire run (hassle)
Hella 500 Fogs
Cargo shade (custom)
Vent Shades
OEM Mud Flap
All new illumination to dashboard
Gas Tank reseal
Fuel line replacement
Injector replacement
…and this week:
Carat Alloys/Shocks/Ball Joints/Steering bellows/lube (Nolan’s Tire Factory)
Refinish Propane tank shield.
THEN it goes on a road trip in May. This time we will not have issues (praying + AAA). Next up is some bodywork and paint, then block rebuild. The GoWesty heads installed this summer are great, and everything else is new save for the block (pistons, crank, bearings and seals). If I could get a TenCent block without the heads I would be pleased.
Cheers,
Jeffery
(Westfalia camping videos on my YouTube channel below)
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the 'Thingamajigger' in January after looking for a while. Not that I was looking for a cherry Vanagon, as I frankly did not have the budget for it. But what I did have was time, some Vanagon knowledge and some basic skills.

Despite the winter we had in the Northeast, I have managed to do the following (working in driveway) up until now:
Full tuneup
Fuel lines
New brakes all around - went all new from rotors, drums and calipers to lines, bearings and seals. Added longer studs and stud conversion on front from T3 Technique.
Nokian tires on Mercedes alloys.
Hardwood floor in passenger area - leftover from neighbors install
Soundproofing in cab area / doors, rear passenger area, slider door and above rear enging area. Also in seat pedestals that I opened up for storage and amp mounting use.
New audio system - 5.25 and 4 inch in front doors, 6x9's in bed pedestal, 5.25's above bed in cabinet. Amp installed under drivers seat and all new 14 ga wiring throughout for speakers.
Repaired exhaust - removed cat, replaced muffler and gaskets at engine. (had shop do this)
Pop top seal kit, repaired vent mechanism.
Headlamp relay upgrade
Second battery kit (just need battery now)
Sewfine carpet kit
New propane tank bought, but not installed yet.
Refurbished a Transawn awning (that came with van), repaired mounting bracketry and remounted. (needs a pressure wash)
Weitec springs
Bilstein shocks

Current issues I am tending to this week while I am off-
Need to drop tranny to deal with leaking rear main (just waiting for my clutch kit to show up)
Trace horn problem, wiper washer motor, new wiper switch arm
Install said propane tank

Needs a real good cleaning to be ready for end of May
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one year mark.
It has been a long journey. The Camper started as a total pig, a very needy pig at that. Along the highway of restoration it has been a great travel rig, albeit one that always had a checklist of “to-do” projects. So I did them.
But there was forever ONE LOUD LIFTER. If you have a 1.9 you know this sound, as both of mine have done it.
The lifter was silent unless I chose to start the van only to move it. Then it clattered. It would clatter until I took it out on the highway for a drive. That drive had to be 15 miles, no less.
The lifter job was this week. I booked 5 hours to rid the world of this exuberant clattering. I also chose to do 2 lifters while at it.
It seemed worth following up on the time it actually took to replace 2 lifters on my Camper. The lifters and spring loaded tubes were from CIP. I also ordered a new oil pressure switch from Van Café just because I would be wrenching in the general area.
The project started at 11:08 as the van was driven onto the ramps. Removed the tin, valve cover, drained the oil, pulled the rocker assembly, pulled and cleaned the push rods, crushed the push rod tubes (and applied a twist to make them drop), pulled the lifters out with a DENTAL PICK, cleaned the surfaces.
The new lifters got some pre-oiling before being dropped into the holes. Once the pushrod tubes were in place, a spoonful of oil was fed into the tube from the head. Push rod tubes dropped in and with care all was aligned and torqued to 11 ft. lbs.
Then changed the filter, added oil and put it all back together. Cranked it without coil for a bit, and then fired it up. No leaks, all good. Cleaned up the tools and went in to eat.
It was 2:30. That made me smile.
Drove it for 5 miles, clatter was gone. AMEN.
It must be said that I am at one year this week of wrenching, restoring, updating and replacing all vital systems and mechanical tidbits. The wallet needs a break too.
The Camper and I have a new agreement… From here on out the Camper will be rewarding me with a confident season of travel.
Cheers,
Jeffery
(Westfalia camping videos at YouTube link below)
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 85 weekender in one day of looking in Denver in 1999. I had just finished a 3 1/2 month mountain biking trip from Canada to Mexico, I got a taste of real freedom and decided a camper van should be the next step...I knew nothing about them, other than working on a few in a close friends shop...

I arrived via rental car to Denver, checked the local adds found one listed, showed up with about 3 others, made an offer, called my bank and actually was able to get a loan for the full amount 2300$

Since that time I have continually been upgrading, but at the same time always travelling/camping and using it often as my daily driver, it has truly been a life changer. I have taken at least one trip every year since then and often 2 or 3 trips.
Last year I spent almost as much time in the van as I did in my bed at home....it now has new suspension, a fresh 2.1, 15 inch rims, the interior has been sound proofed/rust proofed, new paint, new canvas...soon a new cooling system and wiring harness and in the near future a TC engine..I can't wait.

But, never put shiny stuff on that will take the place of a trip, the traveling should always win Laughing
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After discussing where our future was headed with my wife, we both decided that "on the road" should be a major part of it. I a looked around for a while at what vehicle makes best home/go anywhere machine and found the Syncro Westy. My wife would say that I am a glutton for punishment and live by the motto go big or go home. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Syncro Westy. That being said, I am fairly resourceful and do the majority of my own mechanic work. It seemed like a good fit. I stumbled upon one after looking for a couple of months that was a good price, needed some work, but supposedly ran great. After debating over, and losing some sleep, I was in. And the horror began.

First, the van drove wonderfully; just enough to hook me fully into the experience. Winter was coming on, so camping was out of the question, but I assumed I could do some fixing over the winter and drive it every now and then and be ready for spring. Then came the issues. Small coolant leaks. I identified about 8 and sealed them up. I have a Canadian version, so the Webasto was there with it's confusing coolant routing. Leaking in there as well. Drove fine for a week. Next week, slave clutch poops the bed and I fix that. Next week, the dreaded rubber head gasket leak. I limp it along, vowing to make it work. I learn this tactic doesn't work. It gets worse. In the mean time, the real head gasket on that side has begun letting exhaust into my coolant. Sweet. In addition, poor idle kicks up. I fix that. I finally get it into a garage to regasket on side of the engine (only rebuilt 5k ago, I have the reciept, I figure the other side is good, wrong but I won't know that until later). This goes well with one exception. Removal of the exhaust stud reveals some aluminum shavings. Nice. When I put it back in, I was really careful and it held. Yeah me. Also, finally removed all of that Webasto hose. The thing didn't work anyway. This is where the van really hooks me and the fam and we fall hopelessly in love. I drive it for a week, paranoid as hell that the coolant will come pouring out any second. It doesn't. IT DRIVES LIKE A DREAM!!!!!!!!!! We take it out one nice day, sun is out, play in the snow with the pop top up. It's right out of fantasy. On the way home, I see through the auto bleeder that the OTHER head has begun putting exhaust into my coolant. I feel like throwing up. Back to the shop. This time on of the water pump bolts strips on removal. I am ecstatic at this point. I retap and it's good. The head comes off and goes on fine (with the exception of the already dicey exhaust stud, it gets worse, but I am not pulling that head for anything to fix it, plus it still feels good, not great, but good). I fire up the engine and notice that yes, in fact, I have mis-seated a push rod and now I need a tube and push rod. I fix this. Now the exhaust is super sooty. Awesome. The O2 sensor has shorted onto it's shielding. I fix this. Now I take it in because I have an emissions state and it's needs tuning via exhaust sniffing so I can pass. They claim it's close after valve adjustment so I need to drive it a bit to heat up the cat to burn out the soot from the O2 sensor. I do. I drive it 140 miles, and it's glorious. Holds coolant and oil. No issues until I get home. I hear a wired sound like air escaping and see that the exhaust stud has given up the ghost and I have exhaust blowing out of head. Nice. I take it back to the shop where they have to proper tools to fix and that's where it is right now. From the time I bought it, I get to drive it about a week, then it's down for two, then I get a week, then down for two. You get the picture. Also, I bought two other parts vans which I have been ravaging to fix the Westy. My wife thinks I have a sickness.

What I don't understand is that after all of this abuse, I cannot wait to get in and drive it again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: