Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's a Thing come true!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Nice pipes!

I'm no expert on anything but the only debate I've ever come across on tranny fluid is with automatic transmission fluid outside of the air cooled world. The debate I've heard there has to do with whether or not to force flush the fluid out of the torque converter and stirring up debris. I've never heard of a debate like that with our transaxles, which use gear oil. I changed mine and the stuff I put in was definitely cleaner than the stuff that I drained out!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Have I neglected to post the pics of my Vintage Speed Exhaust?

Forsooth!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ahhh much better! Cool

I have the same kit on my Thing. I'm very happy with mine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Welp, not quite done yet!

Got the new welded fan mounted on the generator. using the correct impact gun method so no bent fan here! Short a few shims on the pulley side but that can wait till the shop opens tomorrow.

Managed to get the old manifold and carburetor off as well as the old oil cooler where I discovered my new oil cooler top two mounting bolts are a touch too short for the new bus style wider cooler, another shop pickup tomorrow.

Figured I'd call it a day as i'd prefer to have the oil cooler and fan shroud properly mounted prior to carbonation and linkage.

Trying to decide now if i want to mount the manifolds and carbs once engine is in or before? Thinking it will be a pain in the ass getting her up and in with them on.

-sjhotz

74 Thing
72 Bay Window Westy TinTop
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Damn! Looks like I have some badly stripped allen bolt heads on my CV joints which are sorely in need of rebuilding. Soaking in PB Blaster now, will try again tomorrow after exploring extractor options.

Looks like the PB Blaster and the extractor my roomate had did the trick, got all 6 bolts out on each CV joint and proceeded to remove each axle. Driver side dropped out just fine. Passenger side was odd, the outer rig of the CV joint on the tranny side is frozen to the cup on the tranny. The Passenger side axle just fell apart (ball bearings all recovered) although the tire side is just fine.

How do I get that outer CV ring separated from the transmission? I am loathe to hammer or bang or pry on it. Sprayed with PB blaster and am letting sit overnight. Only problem now is I will be delayed getting them rebuilt without that last piece. Any idea's Guru's?

My thanks as always,
-sjhotz

P.S. Nevermind! Got it off with a small 2 arm puller with the arms set in the outside grove and used a small block of wood with a metal plate to push against inside the flange... moving forward!

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

CV's rebuilt / repacked and installed!

New throw-out bearing installed (cause why not).

Replaced lower heater hoses.

New Fan-Shroud, Fan, and Pulley installed. Smaller Fan belt located and installed (went with 10x882).

Holding off installing the carbs until after I bolt in the engine (for clearance) but have linkage installed and ready.
Holding off exhaust until engine is in so I can use old exhaust as leverage point during bolt in.

Just missing the back 1/2 of the expanded dog house cooling tin which is on it's way from Awesome Powdercoat now (they do some really nice work, my compliments gentlemen). As soon as that arrives i'm off to the races!

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Hey gang,

Am I missing a Tin piece here (this the passenger side)?

The driver side has some Tin in that spot.

My Thanks,
sjhotz

74 Thing
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Hey gang,

Am I missing a Tin piece here (this the passenger side)?

The driver side has some Tin in that spot.

My Thanks,
sjhotz

Yes

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:

Just missing the back 1/2 of the expanded dog house cooling tin which is on it's way from Awesome Powdercoat now (they do some really nice work, my compliments gentlemen). As soon as that arrives i'm off to the races!

Do you have the Hoover Bit in there at the bottom of the oil cooler? Did you put a piece of weatherstripping foam on it? Nows the time Smile (ask me how I know Wink )
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

I do have the hoover bit installed but am worried about a small gap in the outer corner that the hoover bit does'nt seem to fill (almost defeats the purpose in my opinion). I considered some sort of metal corner piece pop riveted in.

When you refer to weather stripping where exactly did you place it?

-sjhotz

74 Thing
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
I do have the hoover bit installed but am worried about a small gap in the outer corner that the hoover bit does'nt seem to fill (almost defeats the purpose in my opinion). I considered some sort of metal corner piece pop riveted in.

When you refer to weather stripping where exactly did you place it?

-sjhotz

I knew that build thread would come in handy!!! And now, for some selected readings of Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle. Lol

Buggeee wrote:

The brown stuff on the side of the cooler was not rust like I had been thinking, but just glue residue. So I figure there must have been foam glued on there to seal up the space around the cooler in the tin that slides over it. I found some in my workshop that seems the right size and now I know why I kept it. I don't know what it was for but I think I was going to use it under a car-top carrier or something. It seems sturdy. If I smell something melting I'll know where to look.

Buggeee wrote:

And to think this was made necessary by you kind folks pointing out that I needed a piece of foam on my Hoover Bit and a twist to my generator orientation. Thanks alot Bnam and Rome! At least I'm not ending up in one of those "whats wrong with this picture" threads. Yet, anyway. Here you go Bnam, this one's for you:

Buggeee wrote:

Ok so with some more of the left over car top carrier foam, I sealed up the exit slide for the hot oil cooler air, keeping it outside of the engine compartment where it belongs.

Then I used some automotive rubber foam that is found for inexplicable reasons in the Lowe's house insulation aisle.

This stuff is great. Super sticky on the glue side, smooth on the other side, and firm but squishy like memory foam. It wants to return to its shape but is satisfied getting smashed almost flat in spots where it can't, filling any and all gaps. I put it on the air-turn thing that leads from the oil cooler to the little spigot that slides the air out the back.

And voila! A sealed airway. It feels really good to look at this - and it all disassembles readily and right back into position again (ask me how I know Wink)

Its a bit OCD I know, but it didn't melt all summer long. I saw threads with people using duct tape and metal HVAC tape too, but that seemed so messy, especially when you tear back into it again.

That is a really cool looking muffler btw.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Thank you Buggeee!!

Headed to Lowe's now!

-sjhotz

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Hey Gang!

Managed to get the missing tin but am having trouble installing. I have tried virtually everything but cannot get it around the Oil Filler down-tube. Am I correct in assuming I must remove the oil filler and the down-tube to successfully install the right rear air deflector tin?

-sjhotz

74 Thing
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Hey Gang!

Managed to get the missing tin but am having trouble installing. I have tried virtually everything but cannot get it around the Oil Filler down-tube. Am I correct in assuming I must remove the oil filler and the down-tube to successfully install the right rear air deflector tin?

-sjhotz

It's possible. My oil filler tube was not in yet when I installed that part so I do not have a direct answer to that question. However, might the difficulty be in the replacement piece itself? I was banging my head on the tin phase until someone told be the aftermarket is sloppy with tolerances so mix and match takes some minor fabrication. On that particular piece, the rear deflector was OG but the cylinder shrouds were aftermarket cheapos, throwing it off a bit. I massaged it by trimming the right/passenger leg of it a bit with tin-snips and curling it down with some vicegrip pliers.

This piece before:

This took a lot of trial and error, putting it together and taking it apart, trimming some more, bumping that a bit, etc. More like sculpting than assembling.

This piece after:

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Ok I can address some of this. I read through most of the thread but might have missed if these were answered. You are missing all of the stock thing tins and bottom engine case skid it looks like. On the vibration and alignment most likely it is worn ball joints and your damaged shock tower with the stem top not secure. The reason the shock tower is bent that way is because somebody was taking it off a trailer and jacked that side tire to the point it pulled down on the shock, and they didn't stop. Maybe a front drum was locked up and they had to drag it off. This only happens when your pulling the car backwards and the tire gets skewed and somebody didn't stop pulling. I have experianced this myself. I doubt very seriously the beam is bent as it even has the beam supports still attach. Easy repair on the tower, new shocks and new ball joints and I bet your allignment woes disapear. Thing beams are built to take abuse and the car looks to have never been in a wreck or the original beam removed so being bent I don't think is in the picture. Because of the way it jacked the tire I would also look at tierod ends. Here is a skid plate link.
http://www.thingparts.com/engine-skid-plate-set-4-pieces/

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Thanks oldschool5er,

I've actually got all the bottom tin now aside from the 2 large pieces of the case skid.

Thank you for the ball joint & shock tower advice, ball joints should be easy enough, i'm clueless how I go about fixing the shock tower though. I can only assume I remove the beam and use a press somehow?

Thanks,
-sjhotz

74 Thing
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:

Thank you for the ball joint & shock tower advice, ball joints should be easy enough, i'm clueless how I go about fixing the shock tower though. I can only assume I remove the beam and use a press somehow?

Thanks,
-sjhotz

If your adventurous and dont want to pull the beam, you might be able to loop a chain around the beam and a floor jack then use a long 1.5 or 2" pipe to jack the pipe up into the tower shock support and push it back in a more reasonable shape. I do think once you straighten it out you will have to weld the seam though. If you are removing the arms to replace the ball joints then removing the beam is not that much further so maybe not even try jacking it back.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Right Rear Air Deflector now properly installed without any trimming or bending required!

Decided to install manifolds prior to engine install and hit a small roadblock. Both Manifolds have holes drilled for balance tube barbs. The Empi part called for is 00-9212-0 (3/8" Thread NPT Male x 1/2 Inch Barb) of course the Kit i bought came with the wrong size threads (5/16) and I was only able to locate 1/8" MIP x 1/2" Barb at the local hardware store which of course won't work at all.

Beginning to wonder if it would be easier to re-tap the damn manifolds than attempt to find these and delay another damn week over a stupid balance tube.

Of course all the local VW shops are closed by me and the local auto parts stores aren't any help. I hate Sunday's now, it's my VW repair Black Hole day.

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Manifolds sorted out and ready to go! Turns out the tapping from the factory was crap, just re-tapped at the proper 27 thread depth and tada! Hose connections went right in and seated like a champ!

Gonna pause the install here and follow all the good advice and source some quality thermostat flaps and associated parts. Seems worth the effort for general engine longevity and since it's already out....

I'll update you all once the flaps are sourced and installed!

-sjhotz

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Cooling flaps and thermostat locally sourced!

Thanks to rockerarm's eagle eye I managed to pickup a set nearby and met a very cool fellow VW enthusiast who build's his own engines (bugguy1967).

This is what I love about VW's, the random cool people I am fortunate enough to meet in my daily dealings.

The flaps and thermostat are in very good condition and just need a few minor parts along with some cleanup. I Hope to have the missing pieces sourced/fabed by this weekend so I can complete the install!

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Cooling Flaps installed!

My sincere thanks to both bugguy1967 and rockerarm! Between the two of them I now have a complete set of working cooling flaps!

Do I have them installed correctly? Is the thermostat supposed to be under the passenger side or driver side cylinders?

-sjhotz

74 Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: