Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locking Steering Column?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Locking Steering Column? Reply with quote

I assume a ‘73 Thing would NOT have a locking steering column? I only ask because I may be picking one up next week that is without a key. Just wondering if I’ll be able to turn the wheel. I know way back in high school my Bus key would also start my friend’s Beetle, so who knows, maybe I’ll bring my keys along....Thanks.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Locking Steering Column? Reply with quote

The column is locking on a 73 assuming the lock pin is still in the column
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Steering Column? Reply with quote

What is involved with ‘disabling’ the lock? If it was at my own home I could take it apart and figure it out. I will be driving about 2.5 hours to pick it up and will need to be able to load it onto a trailer with a come-along. Is it something I can figure on doing on location? My other thought was maybe throwing a pair of dollies underneath the wheels and getting a key made once I get it back home. Thanks.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Steering Column? Reply with quote

Personally, I'd use dollies
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Steering Column? Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, provided you are able to remove the steering wheel and wiper/turn signal switches, the ignition lock cylinder can be pulled out to release the steering lock. Check you tube for a video.

If you just want to turn the wheels to get the car on a trailer, a different strategy might be to remove the fuel tank and un-bolt the steering coupler.

Both of these things can be done in just a few minutes.

Plan C:
One of these under each front tire ($22 for 2):
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/produ...098_W3.jpg
And winch it onto the trailer back end first.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: